Main Menu

Business card design

Started by Drunk Si, 17 August, 2009, 03:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drunk Si

Meh, this is my first post so I should probably introduce myself as well..but no.

Anyways, I graduated about a year ago from an Illustration course but, circumstances being what they are, have spent the past year working as a sales assistant. It's all good, but over the months, rage and bitter resentment have been building and curdling inside me; fermenting into a potent brew.

Suddenly I snapped! You could say I had an epiphany, and I decided to take steps to use my degree and at least try to have a career that involves drawing rather than selling computer games; and the first thing on my list of things to do was to design a business card!

So I started Friday evening and worked on it until Saturday evening when I placed my order; this is what I came up with;

front

back

I kind of took some shortcuts, first of all I didn't draw the front from scratch, I decided to bring an old image out of retirement, so the beer squid is probably about two years old, it was part of an etched triptych I did back at uni http://www.simontaylorillustration.co.uk/images/printphobiassmall.jpg (which I still keep meaning to aquatint someday, but without access to a print studio I'm finding that one a bit of a challenge!) so it aint new but I don't really see that as a problem, none fo the people I hand them out to are going to know, or care.

Secondly, I went for double sided printing purely because I wanted to just get it done and didn't feel I had the time to ponce around balancing text and image, so the idea was just slap a picture on the front and stick the text on the back but then I had a bit too much negative space so, I don't know why, I slapped an eyeball in there.

I have to admit the majority of the time was spent colouring the front and the general design process was more a case of "just do it and see what happens" but in my defence sometimes you just have to cut your losses and make do with what you've got and I kind of figured if I want to do any of the other things on my to do list I need to just get on with it, as everyone else who graduated at the same time as me already has a year's headstart and that's not even thinking about all the artists that are already well established!

But I have to say, not to blow my own trumpet, but unless when they get printed they turn out totally crap I think I'm going to be pretty pleased with my business cards when they arrive. Obviously if they do turn out crap then that's a waste of twenty five quid, which won't be so good. I await their arrival with bated breath.

Now, lay into me.

Banners

£25? That's pretty good. We do 500 on 400gsm with Matt Lamination on both sides for £38.

M@

locustsofdeath!

I like it. Lots of personality. Right away, I can tell what kind of art you're up to. And the font is a nice choice as well.

Welcome to the boards.

Kev Levell

I like the Beer Octopus a lot. And I like the eye too.

Bouwel

Looks good to me, very eye catching.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

DavidXBrunt

Blacking your adress out may have been a mistake as it defeats the primary purpose of the card. You'll know better next time.

John Wagner has an excellent Carlos Ezquerra cartoon on his cards. It's Mr Wagner, holding a Judicial Helmet and pondering, s ort of 'Alas, Poor Joe' moment.

chris_askham

Quote from: Drunk Si on 17 August, 2009, 03:35:13 PM
Anyways, I graduated about a year ago from an Illustration course but, circumstances being what they are, have spent the past year working as a sales assistant. It's all good, but over the months, rage and bitter resentment have been building and curdling inside me; fermenting into a potent brew.

Ha.

You don't know real bitterness until at least another ten years down the line....

grumblegrumble

Dandontdare

Quote from: Drunk Si on 17 August, 2009, 03:35:13 PM...but then I had a bit too much negative space so, I don't know why, I slapped an eyeball in there...

I cannot fault your logic. Nice design there, welcome to the board

Emperor

I think it works really well - it is an excellent piece that not only catches the eye but also should provoke people to ask why he is made from a beer can (so you alreay have them hooked and interest, which makes it more likely they'll remember you).

Anyway don't be a stranger - feel free to share anything else you are working on or have a crack at the monthly art competition.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+