Main Menu

Welcome to 2000AD Online

Started by VinceBot, 07 September, 2009, 09:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Cosier on 12 January, 2018, 02:10:32 PM
... so I guess that makes me one of those new readers that you all worry far too much about (no need to fret, guys, Tharg's doing all the right things to attract us!)

That's good to hear. Always great to hear what 'fresh blood' has to say. Have you started to catch up on the old stuff yet?

Welcome aboard and have fun.

sheridan

Quote from: Cosier on 12 January, 2018, 02:10:32 PM
Longtime lurker. Finally decided to make an account. So... uh, hello!

First prog was 1900, so I guess that makes me one of those new readers that you all worry far too much about (no need to fret, guys, Tharg's doing all the right things to attract us!)

How did you get indoctrinated, and how have you found your first three years?

Cosier

Quote from: sheridan on 13 January, 2018, 08:06:23 PM

When the Doctor Who resurgence happened, I got the bug pretty hard. This led me to the classic series and then even further down the rabbit hole into the Big Finish releases. That's where I first started to hear about 2000 AD. Even though their Dredd range was relatively inactive by this point, there seemed to be an overwhelming enthusiasm for the series with people constantly asking when/if they would return. So one day, when I saw the big display of Case Files in Forbidden Planet, I decided to give the first one a go.

I ended up picking up a couple more and then - intrigued by the twitter promo - I decided to give the jumping-on prog a try. I'd feared it would be difficult to jump in to all of the pre-established stories but there's something really approachable about 2000 AD. Over my first 18 months, story after story would be thrown at me and most of the time there would be just enough details for me to get up to speed and engaged. And for the more long running stories, there's always someone like Sinead or Volodina so I could be introduced to the characters through their eyes (much like how a new Doctor Who companion can introduce people to the show!).

I'm really glad I took the plunge. Now, 2000 AD has become a routine part of my week and introduced me to a bunch of amazing creators!

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 January, 2018, 04:57:38 PM

Have you started to catch up on the old stuff yet?

I've barely scratched the surface so I've still got most of the classics to look forward to. I plan to pick up a good chunk of the Ultimate collection since nearly all of it is going to be new to me.

sheridan

Quote from: Cosier on 15 January, 2018, 06:13:42 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 13 January, 2018, 08:06:23 PM

When the Doctor Who resurgence happened, I got the bug pretty hard. This led me to the classic series and then even further down the rabbit hole into the Big Finish releases. That's where I first started to hear about 2000 AD. Even though their Dredd range was relatively inactive by this point, there seemed to be an overwhelming enthusiasm for the series with people constantly asking when/if they would return. So one day, when I saw the big display of Case Files in Forbidden Planet, I decided to give the first one a go.

I ended up picking up a couple more and then - intrigued by the twitter promo - I decided to give the jumping-on prog a try. I'd feared it would be difficult to jump in to all of the pre-established stories but there's something really approachable about 2000 AD. Over my first 18 months, story after story would be thrown at me and most of the time there would be just enough details for me to get up to speed and engaged. And for the more long running stories, there's always someone like Sinead or Volodina so I could be introduced to the characters through their eyes (much like how a new Doctor Who companion can introduce people to the show!).

I'm really glad I took the plunge. Now, 2000 AD has become a routine part of my week and introduced me to a bunch of amazing creators!

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 January, 2018, 04:57:38 PM

Have you started to catch up on the old stuff yet?

I've barely scratched the surface so I've still got most of the classics to look forward to. I plan to pick up a good chunk of the Ultimate collection since nearly all of it is going to be new to me.

Glad to have you aboard, welcome to the forum, and here's to years of reading pleasure ahead of you!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Cosier on 15 January, 2018, 06:13:42 PM

Good option and a great way to pick up some absolute classics. Have fun with it all.

@earthlet

Hello

I'm new. Not really hot on forum etiquette but willing to learn. I've been collecting 2000AD for about 30 to 40 years. I'm a bit of a dinosaur where it comes to the web.

@earthlet

TordelBack

How in hell was that username not taken!  Welcome, you genius!

(Scurries off to find what else can be pressed into service with an '@' prefix,  then remembers the chameleon circuit was taken offline...)

CitizenDoov

Hi all,

Been lurking around here on and off for a while but as all things 2000AD are super exciting at the moment have been here a lot. Thought it was about time to introduce myself...

I am a Prog one-er (which was out on my tenth birthday) but lapsed a few times. Have had a subscription of both the Prog & Meg since 2012 when my interest was renewed by the Dredd film.

Can't get enough at the moment - current Thrills, the Hachette collections, and various podcasts are all awesome.

Colin YNWA

Welcome aboard. Hopefully a mod will be along soon to get you all sorted proper like.

broodblik

Welcome indeed, I also started my collection again in 2012 (only difference I did it digitally)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

wedgeski

It was the Dredd movie that re-awakened my dormant Thrill-Power nucleation sites as well. Welcome back!

JonasRan

I'm new to the site and just wanted to take the opportunity to say hi to everyone, and to thank the team for accepting my registration.

I'm Jonas Ranson, son of 2000AD illustrator Arthur Ranson.

I began reading 2000AD around 1980/81 and my interest in the comic very much centres on this period.

I'm a fine art & fashion textiles screen printer myself, run a small studio in East London.

I've recently collaborated with my father on four fine art print editions of 2000AD artwork of my dads... including 2 of Judge Anderson & 2 of Button Man, all Illustration's having featured in 2000AD originally.

All prints are signed & numbered by Arthur... have been printed in close collaboration with him, and are hand printed in high quality acrylic inks on heavy weight 310gsm archival paper to gallery standard.
If anyone is interested they can DM here or easier just buy direct from my website...

[http://www.jonasranson.com/shop-1](http://www.jonasranson.com/shop-1)

It's been personally very rewarding to have collaborated with my father on what I feel are very unique & beautifully crafted items. This is a rare opportunity to purchase something very special.

If any one had any questions I'd be happy to answer any.

All the best

CalHab

Proudhuff

Great stuff, I'd stick that on its own thread here if I was you, this is a quiet backwatery bit...
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Proudhuff on 04 December, 2019, 12:44:43 PM
Great stuff, I'd stick that on its own thread here if I was you, this is a quiet backwatery bit...

Yeah those prints look fantastic and deserve more prominance as I'm sure they'll be plenty of floks lucky enough to be able to pick them up.