Main Menu

Sinister Dexter - Relode

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 March, 2010, 07:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well so that's how all this started is it!

A few days away from home on a break in Chester has meant I've managed to get a really good start on my reading of the Progs from 2003 and already it looks like its going to be a vintage year with so much already to talk about. The first of many however is Relode. In and of itself not an astonishing story and read when it came out it might have been a plesent distract and a bit of a return to form, hinting at things to come.

Reading it now it blew my little socks off (well I'm in slippers but the point carries). This foretells so much of whats happening now. It made me come to the realisation that Sinister Dexter is a story that really works for the long term reader. So much that happens builds on whats gone before and the characters really undergo a slow development with Abnett having the confidence to let things grow naturally and not have to push things along. Not many strips have this luxury, Dredd, Dante really but Adnett really takes advantage of it. While the smaller chunks are pretty good fun as all this brews in the background.

So whats the point of this musing, well given thats the case its a real shame that Sinister Dexter doesn't have a good trade programme in the way that Dante does. I'm lucky due to my re-read I'm getting all this laid out before me. I suspect many who have become tired of S&D are missing out on a chance to see this classic in its true light.

The Monarch

I had the same reaction

at the time it was a fun story

now with everything thats happened since its the beginning of a major epic

so expect this story to be missing when the war of the moses is eventually collected :lol: