Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

Quote from: Robin Low on 13 August, 2018, 08:40:58 PM
I'm a few days late as usual, but never mind...

Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 August, 2018, 04:27:30 PMDid anyone else wonder how the lab, the delicate equipment and the people inside survived all that mucking about?

Probably something to do with inertial dampeners.

Regards,

Robin

I've read that the lab was built at suitcase size, so it never 'shrinks' as such, it just returns to it's normal size. Thats why it can handle all the moving about in the action scenes.

Or something.
It's Marvel science, so anything goes i guess! Still enjoyed the film, thats the important bit.

TordelBack

Cor yeah,  Antman & the Wasp,  that was a fine,  fine movie. Delighted they managed to sustain the humour and visual inventiveness from the first one,  not an easy feat.   Gotta love a film where everyone [spoiler]except the Eric Trump lookalike turns out to be a fine human being in the end,  and nobody gets hurt or dies[/spoiler]. Well, up to a point, obviously...

JOE SOAP

Yeah, no 'villain' problem here because it's less about superheroes and supervillains but simply protagonists and antagonists. A point made more succinctly in Antman & The Wasp.

TordelBack

Mmmm, thought it was terrific that the stakes were so simple: (1) Janet would stay lost or (2) Ava would disintegrate (or whatever), and set against this (3) if he got involved Scott could go back  to prison and let Cassie down. A wonderful antidote to world-ending threats, all the better for having three father-daughter relationships,  or perhaps just three families,  at the heart of each dilemma. 

Went with three kids 8, 11 and 12 and they all loved it - after a laughter-filled cinema,  you could have heard a pin drop at the end of the middle credits scene.  Superbly judged stuff.

JOE SOAP

Yes, I was consistently surprised by the gentleness with which it treated all its characters and their decisions – not just serving the plot but the story. It had me from the off with choosing to start the film by jumping right back to the most effective scene from the first instalment: [spoiler]Janet and Hank's mission to disable the missile.[/spoiler]

Tjm86

The Alien, DeepStar 6, Thing rip off Life.  Ultimately shifting to watching it on fast forward and it still made the same amount of sense.  So glad I didn't waste good money on this.

Krakajac

Flash Gordon (1980) on blu-ray (on the cinema screen at home).

First time I've watched this since I was a kid back in the day.  Not quite as polished as I remembered it (or scary).  Some shoddy editing/acting, but...

...still some amazing sci-fi designs and model-making for it's time.  Topped off with Queen and Brian Blessed doing their thing.

My Japanese wife didn't know what to make of it. :)

And strike me down if I didn't see Robbie Coltrane as an extra (at the start when Flash and Dale board the plane, I'm damn sure he closes the plane door before walking off-camera).

EDIT - just confirmed it was his third role.

Daveycandlish

Flash Gordon is my absolute favourite sci-fi movie of all time. If I catch it on tv when channel hopping I WILL stop and watch it. I've watched this more than any other, including Star Wars or Trek.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

TordelBack

Damn hard to beat, that's for sure.  I first saw it on a dodgy projector in a parish hall with almost non-existant sound and I fell completely in love - and I was all ready to hate it because I was a devotee of the Buster Crabbe incarnation, and however curvy his pecs, Sam Jones was no Buster Crabbe.  Everyone else though, even Peter Duncan, just magnificent.  Even thinking about it makes me smile.

broodblik

Flash Gordon was great. The gold old days when CGI did not exist
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Legendary Shark

Yes it did - Cardboard, Glue, Imagination...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 19 August, 2018, 09:45:20 PM

Yes it did - Cardboard, Glue, Imagination...
Satan is pleased by this response. >:D

Hawkmumbler

With the borderline seductive voice of Peter Wyngarde rounding out the cast, it's certainly a movie that is as great to listen to as to watch.

TordelBack

Some Deep Roy action too, fresh from the set of Blake's 7. Basically a technicolour collage of marvelous things.

(Please note my restraint in not mentioning Ornella Muti while making loud Homeresque drooling noises).

I, Cosh

Quote from: Krakajac on 19 August, 2018, 02:05:25 PM
Flash Gordon And strike me down if I didn't see Robbie Coltrane as an extra (at the start when Flash and Dale board the plane, I'm damn sure he closes the plane door before walking off-camera).
Yes! This has always tickled me.

You can get a similarly surprising hit of Coltrane in a very different kind of sci-fi if you watch Death Watch, which also features Karvey Keitel and Harry Dean Stanton driving around the more derelict parts of 70s Glasgow.
We never really die.