Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echidna

Was Wagner's real name common knowledge at that point? That's one of a few in-jokes referencing his identity (e.g. Fly's Eyes Wagner, Cadet Wagner's entry on the Honour Roll in Mutie the Pig) which appeared when he and/or Alan Grant were going by John Howard, TB Grover etc. (or uncredited, in the case of MTP)

sheridan

Quote from: Echidna on 16 July, 2017, 03:21:46 PM
Was Wagner's real name common knowledge at that point? That's one of a few in-jokes referencing his identity (e.g. Fly's Eyes Wagner, Cadet Wagner's entry on the Honour Roll in Mutie the Pig) which appeared when he and/or Alan Grant were going by John Howard, TB Grover etc. (or uncredited, in the case of MTP)

The examples you've given are in the first three years (and I think two are in the first six months, before the Compu-73e credit cards had been introduced).  Fort Neuro was around Prog 300, and we were well used to credit cards by that point (they'd also spread to other IPC comics, though obviously without the sci-fi angle).

JayzusB.Christ

While watching Bone Tomahawk, it suddenly occurred to me where Tommy 'Hawk' Hill from Twin Peaks got his nickname.  I'm thick, I know, and it was probably explained in the original two series, but there you go
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Smith

Here is a hilarious SinDex one-Dirty deeds done dirt cheap is a song/album title.
Yeah,that took me a while.:|

I, Cosh

Is Mickey Challis the Knight of Cups?
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

I've just learned the word factotum, and realised I've missed a long-running Sin / Dex pun.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Speaking of, I only tumbled to their names' meaning when I spotted Roman soldiers marching to "sinister, dexter, sinister, dexter -halt!" in a rerun of Frankie Howerd's Up Pompei![/] tv series. Smut and education in one amusing package.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

I, Cosh

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 January, 2018, 09:53:45 PM
I've just learned the word factotum, and realised I've missed a long-running Sin / Dex pun.
What shocks me about this is that you've never read any Bukowski!
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

Fraid not, though I know quite a bit about him due to a Bukowski-obsessed friend.  Probably time to start reading him. 

I sussed the meaning of Sinister and Dexter's names from the start; but I have no recollection as to how, given that I never learned Latin.  The Um Louts were a mystery to me until I went to work in Germany a few weeks after they were introduced.

Dash Decent

Yep, left handed people are bad and sinister.

If you're ambi-dexter-ous, it's like you have two right (i.e. good/useful) hands.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

TordelBack

Quote from: Dash Decent on 08 January, 2018, 09:20:09 AM
Yep, left handed people are bad and sinister.

Damn straight.  Almost as bad as frecks, in my experience.

Theblazeuk

I vaguely recall that one of the early SinDex strips actually has a little bubble explaining this very reference, as least it did in the DC-printed collections. Not going to dig them out to check mind.

The Legendary Shark

Leaving my education to the likes of Frankie Howerd probably wasn't my most astute adjudicature, Missus.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Magnetica

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 08 January, 2018, 09:57:36 AM
I vaguely recall that one of the early SinDex strips actually has a little bubble explaining this very reference, as least it did in the DC-printed collections. Not going to dig them out to check mind.

I don't remember that being in the Prog.

DrRocka

I have literally just THIS SECOND realised that when Fink Angel refers to his "pizen" it's his Cursed Earth Drawl way of saying "poison" 🤯
Never ever bloody anything ever