Main Menu

I've seen the movie, what do i need to read next

Started by adi, 11 September, 2012, 08:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adi

I totally loved the new movie and cant wait for the sequels. in the mean time what should I read to fill the gap.

I wanted to read something with ma-ma, early days of Anderson and goryest pages of dredd

any recomendations

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I'm afraid Ma-ma isn't in the comics. Dredd doesn't have many regular foes, he's like Han Solo, he shoots first. But if you're looking for early Anderson stories with legendary villains and plenty of violence, I would go for the Dark Judges Saga and then maybe Necropolis.

My personal recommendations would be The Apocalypse War, The Day the Law Died and then The Pit.

Ideally you should just buy all the Case Files
You may quote me on that.

Cactus

Ma-Ma's only other appearance is in a prequel story in this month's Judge Dredd Megazine. She was created for the film.

Early Anderson stories are collected in a series called 'The Psi Files', although she's older there than she is in the film so they're not really the character's early days if you see what I mean. There was a 'Cadet Anderson' series in 2000ad earlier this year and I expect there'll be another one along soon-ish.

As for the goriest pages of Dredd, that's a tough one. The Heavy Metal Dredd collection would be a strong contender but the stories range from 'rubbish' to 'alright'.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

JOE SOAP

Richmond Clements

QuoteThe Heavy Metal Dredd collection would be a strong contender but the stories range from 'rubbish' to 'shite'.
FTFY

Steve Green

Gore...

Well America has its moments, not sure if its what you're after though, as Dredd is a minor character for the first part.

Outside of Heavy Metal Dredd it isn't wall to wall gore, just effective instances of violence.

Total War might be a good one to try.

as are

Satan's Island

Mandroid

None of these have Anderson in it, but they're good Dredd stories.

CYCLOPZ

If you're starting from the beginning, check out

Judge Dredd Complete Case Files volumes #5 / # 14

Judge Dredd: America

Judge Dredd Complete Case Files volumes #3

Judge Dredd: Total War

Judge Dredd: Incubus

Judge Dredd: Origins

HdE

Quote from: adi on 11 September, 2012, 08:21:34 PM
I totally loved the new movie and cant wait for the sequels. in the mean time what should I read to fill the gap.

I wanted to read something with ma-ma, early days of Anderson and goryest pages of dredd

any recomendations

It's sort of tough to recommend anything without knowing what your tastes might be when it comes to comics - if you have no problem with retro stylings, I'd recommend you grab some of the earlier case files volumes.

If you're more into modern comics, you have a fair range of excellent Rebellion graphic novels to choose from. Mandroid, Satan's Island (a personal fave of mine!) and Total War are all great.

I'm personally a BIG fan of the two Tour Of Duty collections, which tell a fantastic story that I personally feel makes EXCELLENT use of Dredd's mythology.

And if you want gore, there are some suitably splatterific scenes in Dredd Vs Aliens - which is a DAMNED fine comic book in its own right!

For Anderson stuff... well, the first volume of the Psi Files is a really special book for me. I read most of those stories way back when I was a wee laddie, and most of them really hold up well even now. There are some excellent stories in there, and a nice tonal mix. I need to get hold of the second volume pronto!

Whatever you read, though, I really hope you have a whale of a time with it! Dredd's universe is one of my favourite fictional places to escape to in comics. :thumbsup:
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Dandontdare

The Pit is an excellent book that doesn't require lots of background knowledge. Large ensemble cast and lots of details about Justice Dept - Dredd is is made scetor chief of the worst sector in the city, and as well as waging war on local gangsters, roots out corruption and slackness in the sector-house. Contains the great opening lines, as he addresses his new staff: "My name is Dredd. You may have heard of me. I'm a stickler"

Keef Monkey

Total War is fantastic, and I've had non-Dredd converts read it and love it, so that might be a good one to go for.

I wouldn't really recommend starting at volume 1 of the Case Files if you're after something with the same tone as the film, you'll likely be more into the later stuff (America, The Pit, Total War and Mandroid are all good shouts. Maybe Origins? I can't remember how much prior knowledge is necessary with that one).

Mardroid

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 12 September, 2012, 09:09:38 AM
Maybe Origins? I can't remember how much prior knowledge is necessary with that one).

Not much really. I read Origins a while back and I'm working my way through the second case files for the first time at the moment. A short while ago I read the story containing the first appearance of [spoiler]Ex-president Booth and the med-droids Snap Crackle and Pop[/spoiler], but I can't say Origins was much spoilt* for me not having that information as Origins fills you in when you need it. [spoiler]If anything Booth's part in the earlier story is rather anticlimatic considering the more villainous role he has in Origins. Then again he's just woken up after a long sleep...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]To think those droids started off as vampires though! Who'd a thunk it? Weirdly, when they first appear they have their syringe-fangs extended all the time, even when they're not being used, then in the next episode the artist decided to get rid of them. (Probably a good idea.)[/spoiler]

*I'm using the word 'spoilt' in a different context here rather than the usual 'spoilers' word which is a favourite with the internet crowd.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Mardroid on 12 September, 2012, 04:39:00 PMNot much really. I read Origins a while back and I'm working my way through the second case files for the first time at the moment.

So good, The Cursed Earth and The Day The Law Died, plus Punks Rule, oh man that's a fine book. Best early Dredd book for me.

Seconding all those recommendations, especially Case Files 14 / Necropolis and The Pit. I'll also add Batman/Judge Dredd and Mechanismo to the list.

adi

Thanks for the help i really appreciate it, I've got a decent reading list now.  I think im gonna skip ebay and try to track them down at the next comic convention or shady comic shop in Manchester I pass as i always like the hunt

Even if the film didn't get a sequel some how its going to bring on loads of new readers to 2000ad

I, Cosh

You could try Gogol's Dead Souls. It's surprisingly funny for an unfinished 19th Century Russian novel by a religious maniac.
We never really die.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: The Cosh on 14 September, 2012, 01:14:37 AM
You could try Gogol's Dead Souls. It's surprisingly funny for an unfinished 19th Century Russian novel by a religious maniac.

Name dropping Nikolai Gogol, well well  :P