Main Menu

Started by paulvonscott, 13 January, 2003, 05:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McNulty

I made a sneaky appearance in Sin/Dex along with Hellboy? I did a double take when I heard that.

And was that a veiled reference to Dr Who in Caballistics (Yetis in the underground)?

Link: http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~rjamieson/Cal-Hab/index.html" target="_blank">The A-Z of Cal-Hab

DavidXBrunt

That was referred to last week as well I think. Quatermass and the Pit were also referenced.

Tiplodocus

And I think I got a "LEWD" rap from Tharg on the input page for PITCHFEST.  Here's the link again just to prove that I can do self-publicity as well.

One thing I did like about CABBALISTIC BUSTERS was that it seemd to cover similar ground to Bec and KAwl (supernatural, pop-culture references etc.) but did it much better.  The kokes are better so far than in the whole of B&K and the whole "reference" thing seemed to be woven into the story rather than just photocopied from "SMASH HITS FAVOURITE FILM SCRIPTS".

This Mister Rennie is certainly versatile and knows his onions - he was the only one that got the PAST IMPERFECTs correct (in my opinion).

God what's happened to me... I thought I'd have broken my resolution to be nice to people by now. Especially after what Mister Rennie said about that lovely Henrik chap (and us all been "tw*ts").

I found myself enjoying the issue - still haven't pinned this feeling down yet as:

Dredd/Aliens seems to be heading into familar territory (though I doubt it will actually end up there)

SLAINE: Haven't we seen *exactly* this episode before in some other painted Slaine epic?

CABBALISTICS: See above

DANTE: Loved the story, loved the art apart from another lame monster from Mister Burns and some really lame looking pirates.  He can draw but he can't design, I tell ya.

SIN/DEX: I like the artist, I didn't like the artist in-jokes but I love the lips and the way that the ugly one of the pair is now the dude and vice versa.  

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=submissions&page=scripttest" target="_blank">LEWD? LEWD?

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

karne

"This Mister Rennie is certainly versatile and knows his onions"

Is an onion similar to a lie detector? (Sorry Gordon, I did try to resist :)).

DavidXBrunt

Late review -

Dredd/Aliens - good stuff, should be an extra good cliff hanger nexxt week as that'll be the end of part one of the Dark Horse version. I'm so impressed that this is reading so well as a weekly strip. Had my doubts, should have known better.

C. Inc - This is good stuff. From what we've seen so far I'm getting the impression that this is being set up as a possible recurring storyy. If the rest of this tale matches the start I'll be all for that.

Slaine - We're getting somewhere, slowly. I guess as this is the start of a three book tale I can handle a slow start, but I'm going off the art, seems to dark for me to see...

Dante - I'm going to miss him when he's gone. Good stuff, but whens Ma Dante going to show?

Sin Dex - The art doesn't appeal to me, but it's not bad as such. The boys are coming across as rather dumb in this tale though. It'll be interesting to see how the changes history works out - will Holy Moses still be alive when (if?) they return home? And therefore will Demi? Looking forwards to the confrontation with Croak, but I think I'm keener for them to return to the Barf arc that seems to be developing...

Cover - ugh. If I didn't buy it I don't think I'd notice it on the shelves, let alone look at it twice.

Capt.Zeep

Anyone think the Kraken might turn out to be Nikolai's half-brother?

Queen Firey-Bou

ahhhh clever thought there zeep, poor old dante needs to go on Kilroy with his messy family...

Leigh S

Hmmm, I hope not... people turning out to be related to each other is the corniest idea in the world (was it the beard Zeep? :))

Look at those Yankee Doctor Who scripts where the MAster is his brother and Borusa is his grandad or something.  Its no surprise the Final Solution featured a hastily invented half brother for Alpha...

petemaskreplica

funny, I thought it might be his dad.

A good prog, though I can't be bothered with SinDex anymore, and Slaine needs a kick up the plot. Looks nice though.

But how can Tharg accuse Mr Tips of being lewd when he's going on about his throbbing organ?

chris_askham

I also thought it was a good prog.

Except for Sinister Dexter.

It's the first Slaine I've read in over ten years and look, absolutely nothing has changed! All the same characters, and Pat Mills scripts are still dull and he's still trying far too hard to be clever. And although Clint's art is fantastic i've never really thought it suits strips - a bit too static. Although saying that, one of the most interesting covers in months.

DavidXBrunt

We've already met his dad, Pete. Big fellah, glasses, blew his brains out? Ringing any bells?

Capt.Zeep

Hmmm, I hope not... people turning out to be related to each other is the corniest idea in the world (was it the beard Zeep? :))

I suppose it was, also a Nikolaiish cast to the features...we shall see.  I may well have it completely wrong as per usual.  

Tex Hex

I have to say that while im not dissapointed by dredd vs. aliens, it has yet to get really going. I mean chestbursters, acid for blood, facehuggers...we kinda knew all that was coming.
I want to see some real imagination thrown at it.

Still good but.
Hex.

petemaskreplica

"We've already met his dad"

ah, must have been when I was AWOL

Queen Firey-Bou

what like during his whole story run Pete ?