Main Menu

Cover for Subscribers

Started by Banners, 10 January, 2002, 02:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

Hi.

After reading since Prog 468 I finally got a subscription (must have been the free hat that did it) and was really chuffed that the first issue I received should have such an awesome cover.

So - seeing as subscribers already know they're going to get the issue and don't need the blurb (of which sometimes there's a lot) or logo or bar code etc.. any chance subscibers getting 'naked' cover artwork? You know what I mean! I believe SFX do/did it...?

Moreover, this could be a premium deal. Rather than offering discounts or freebies to subs, people mat be willing to pay over-the-odds for this and so the extra print-run costs could be made up for.

Just a suggestion!

M@

Thread Zero

But surely if you got this prog naked, you would miss the joke!

The "if you are standing too close" remark.

Bet you never thought of that eh??

scojo - whose only naked when his clothes are off

Thread Zero

By the way, did you know that whose should really be who's? I put in these subtle mistakes to see if anyone notices.

scojo lying

paulvonscott

I would rather they just put the bar code on the back.  It isn't going to befuddle checkout people and covers like that great gregg staples one would really shine out.  You could put the price and prog no. on the back too, people can work it out.

From my experience of printing I think you'll find the cost of printing a second cover design would be substantial.

Thread Zero

The price and prog no on the back? What about new readers who pick up the prog for the first time?
They are going to think the comic is for free!

Don't think Rebellion's marketing division will go for that.
Lol!

scojo thinking PVS'idea is the most ridiculous he has ever heard!:O)

Matt

I didn't think PVS would be bothered by the price on the cover, he usually just reads it without paying anyway!

Mk13

Unfortunately, we can't really put the price and prog number on the back, because generally we try to sell the back cover for advertising, and advertisers wouldn't go for it if we started decorating their adverts with barcodes and stuff (and yes, we could do it on our own ads, but it definitely would confuse retailers if the barcode was on the front some weeks, the back others).

And re. subscriber-only covers, yes it is something we'd love to do, but to make it work we need to build up the subscriber numbers to the point where it becomes cost-effective.