Main Menu

monkey on my back in my strange uniform?

Started by Devons Daddy, 14 March, 2003, 11:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devons Daddy

ok monkey on my back. i like the story.

i like the artist.but is he  depicting an alternate mega city one.?
what kind of law giver is that? MK?????
the badge since when was it a an embroidered extra? what happened to the cheif judge he looks over weight? since when did any judge get into this condition.
and when did the eagle mark appear on the back of the helmet?

im all for new artists and styles but not changing the basics, this is just poor quality of production. it should have been rejected.
great art it is.correct it is not.
it is a privledge to draw DREDD.
it should be treated it as such.
want a quick lesson. ask Jock.Gibson.and a host of other top artists who draw dredd.

you want to do something differnt as an artist go create your own strip.

RANT OVER.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

James

it's set in the past. Therefore the uniform is slightly different.

Smiley

The art (and the basic story idea too it seems) is by veteran 2000AD stalwart John Higgins, who's style has gone from instantly recognisable to something apparently done by committee / computer. Still bloody good, though.

I must admit that upon hearing a Dredd story was to be set in 2099 I was looking forward to something that captured the look and feel of very early Dredd (which Simon Fraser did so well on Blood Cadets) and this hasn't done that. Oh, well. Wait and see.

Bolt-01

DD: The eagle on the back of the helmet was just a reflection. No jokes about shiny helmets plase.

John Higgins has been around long enough to be forgiven for changes he makes in what appears to be 'his' story. He gets 'idea' credit.

If you dont like it, call it Elseworlds. Wagner will.

rotts.

Wood

Mangamax

Guess the difference's in uniform and gun mean they pre-date those in prog 2 - hey, maybe something in this tale forces the change?
Thought the art was really reminiscent of David Lloyd.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Bart Oliver

'..something in this tale forces the change? '

thought had crossed my mind too- I remember a Levi's ad campain in the mid 90s about the design refinements over the years, when the clothing was still considered work wear and the changes were more or less ergonomic rather than stylistic..

that said the addition of a chain linking the collar to the badge isn't exactly functional.
Esquerra's explanation aside (1984 Judge Dredd annual interview '(chain)..added to make him look more tough.')

has anyone other ideas about the addition of the  chain?
Obviously you're not a golfer.

Jared Katooie

has anyone other ideas about the addition of the chain?

To old the badge on maybe?

Ask a silly question...

J.

Bart Oliver

And there was me thinkng the badge was held in place with a safety pin 'blue peter' style and that the chain was for show..

Eric Plumrose

The continuing adventures of Judges Purvis, Singleton, and Noakes. This week:

an escaped T-Rex defecates all over the floors of the Grand Hall of Justice. Much hilarity ensues.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

karne

If the pin broke, the badge would just fall off. A chain would prevent it from falling off and landing under cupboards and other awkward to reach places.

Bart Oliver

Arhhh.. yes
the old 'belt and braces' routine,

John Wayne swears by it-  don't want yer pants fallin' down went the other hombre says 'draw'.

malkymac

I think that Higgns has been drawing Dredd since about 1986 that he is very familiar with the uniform so I would suggest that the changes in the unifirm are deliberate (for some reason we will find out hopefully).

also perhaps the chain for holding the badge on is another useful implement for smacking people with (in case the Judge loses his studded gloves or whatever). Mind you the small weedy one in the film would not have been much use for that - that would have been like smakcing someone with your fiancees necklace.

Bart Oliver

I'm familiar with Higgins's form and pedigree from the eighties when I was just a lil' Diaz, he knows his huevos when it comes down to drafting Dredd.

Taking Dredd's uniform in different, and some times radical design directions is nothing new.. remember the big square-eyed Letratone visor that Ian Gibson introduced?

ESCUBRIA

I think it's the best Dredd art Higgins has ever drawn. It looks like the large featured expressive style of Richard Corben mixed with the layout, vertiginously viewed angles and thick shades of black by David Lloyd.

Anyway artists have always experimented with the Judge's uniforms; as long as they don't completely go off the scale and keep within the classic parameters of the design I see no harm.

Just don't make it look ridiculous and completely piss take the look for satire.