Main Menu

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Started by Goaty, 10 April, 2017, 02:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prodigal2

Speaking as a former pre-eminent member of the Thor message board (true story) I loved it.

TordelBack

What a film!  Magnificently paced, audaciously camp, consistently hilarious, and yet somehow thrilling and engaging too. Flash Gordon, the Hulk, Simonson, Pak and Kirby,  all in one film - just an endless treat, plus a structure and ending I did not expect. The way the plot builds seamlessly from The Dark World and Avengers 2 was particularly pleasing, lifting those lesser-loved films by association. The MCU films have become a true shared universe, and never more naturally than here.

Minor niggles: did I miss Sif? I know Valkyrie usurped her spot here but she remains the most underused character in these films - in fact generally the Warriors got a bum deal. And the Dr Strange cameo, while fun, went on a bit too long without really adding much. That's it: I loved everything else.

Some unexpected highlights: Hopkins really getting to strut his stuff; Tessa Thompson is just charisma personified; Blanchett chewing scenery to beat the band; Waititi's Korg and Rachel House's Topaz  are comedy gold; and two Hemsworths for the price of one!

I'm really pleased for Taika Waititi, for one of my favourite filmmakers to pull off something as huge, extravagant and satisfying as this is just terrific. I may have to see this again, and soon.

The Legendary Shark

What a fantastic film - loved everything about it except the absence of Lady Sif. Can't wait for the dvd!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

I saw this earlier today (well, technically yesterday now that I'm writing this) and I enjoyed it a lot. It was very silly, but in a very good and enjoyable way. Only thing I wasn't keen on: [spoiler]how quickly they killed off Thor's warrior friends. I understand they wanted to show what a hard-ass Hela is, and phwoar,
did Cate Blanchett do the role justice, and our Carl Urban's shallow scourge had a great redemptive moment, but I think they should at least have lasted longer, or been part of Heimdahl's resistance.  [/spoiler]

A great romp, all round.

One question: [spoiler]I haven't read many Thor comics, so forgive me, but is this the first time that the idea that Mjolnir is not actually the source, of his weather control powers, has been suggested? I. E. Odin states that the hammer was merely to provide focus for power Thor already has. I know that Thor is pretty strong even by Asgardian standards, but this is the first time I came across this.

It doesn't really matter, if the answer is 'yes' as the films are their own thing, but I'm curious.[/spoiler]

Prodigal2

Quote from: Mardroid on 31 October, 2017, 01:55:53 AM
I saw this earlier today (well, technically yesterday now that I'm writing this) and I enjoyed it a lot. It was very silly, but in a very good and enjoyable way. Only thing I wasn't keen on: [spoiler]how quickly they killed off Thor's warrior friends. I understand they wanted to show what a hard-ass Hela is, and phwoar,
did Cate Blanchett do the role justice, and our Carl Urban's shallow scourge had a great redemptive moment, but I think they should at least have lasted longer, or been part of Heimdahl's resistance.  [/spoiler]

A great romp, all round.

One question: [spoiler]I haven't read many Thor comics, so forgive me, but is this the first time that the idea that Mjolnir is not actually the source, of his weather control powers, has been suggested? I. E. Odin states that the hammer was merely to provide focus for power Thor already has. I know that Thor is pretty strong even by Asgardian standards, but this is the first time I came across this.

It doesn't really matter, if the answer is 'yes' as the films are their own thing, but I'm curious.[/spoiler]

The idea of Mjolnir as a focus point or conduit rather than a source has been a bone of contention for Thor fans down the years and often emerged in Hulk v Thor type discussions.

Mardroid

I could understand that. [spoiler] When I saw Thor  holding his own in the fight against Hulk without his hammer, even appearing to beat him for a while, I was mentally shaking my head. (If that's possible.) With the hammer, I'd see it as an even match. Without, I wouldn't think Thor would last long. But if the power is in Thor* himself, that would explain things, even before he called down the lightening.[/spoiler]

*or Thornton' , as my autocorrect would have it. I think I'll call him that from now on. 😆

Prodigal2

Quote from: Mardroid on 31 October, 2017, 03:21:05 PM
I could understand that. [spoiler] When I saw Thor  holding his own in the fight against Hulk without his hammer, even appearing to beat him for a while, I was mentally shaking my head. (If that's possible.) With the hammer, I'd see it as an even match. Without, I wouldn't think Thor would last long. But if the power is in Thor* himself, that would explain things, even before he called down the lightening.[/spoiler]

*or Thornton' , as my autocorrect would have it. I think I'll call him that from now on. 😆

That works for me too. Thornton it is.

The Legendary Shark

They Mighty Thornton - Good off Thunder.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Prodigal2

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

saw this yesterday - I was worried that the camp, improvised humour might be too OTT, but it was balanced perfectly with the action, a great film. I can only echo what others have said - this DID feel like Lee/Kirby Thor (how many times did the Hulk end up in Asgard?  :D), and it does feel like a real consistent universe that all the movies share.

Loved the little asgardian play - as well as the Hemsworth bro playing Thor, did you notice Sam Neill and Matt Damon playing Odin and Loki?

abelardsnazz

It was about half an hour too long for me, and I thought Cate Blanchett's role was pretty much the standard baddie thing, which i was a bit disappointed by having seen her in so many great roles in the past.

I enjoyed the humour, and Jeff Goldblum playing Jeff Goldblum is always fun.

It was better than the last one, anyway. Eccleston didn't do the 50th anniversary to do that?

Woolly

Just got back from this, and feel it was great but not that great.

What I didn't like:
[spoiler]The humour mostly came across like naff ad-libs, and I hated Taika's rock-bloke character. Neither funny, or important.
Scourge was pointless and underused, Jeff Goldblum was just Jeff Goldblum, I refuse to accept that SHIELD planes are spaceworthy, or that Hulk could fly one to wherever they were in the galaxy in just a few years.
Oh, and there wasn't nearly enough Dr Strange.[/spoiler]

What I did like:
[spoiler]Everything else! Loki stole the show as usual, Hulk/Banner were wonderful, Cate Blanchett rocks, the plot and pacing were spot-on. [/spoiler]

Overall a 7/10 for me. Thoroughly enjoyable, but a bit messy.

Juan De La Karite

Saw it yesterday, really enjoyed it. Continues the trend of Marvel taking risks on directors and making fun movies (Spider Man Homecoming and both Guardians of the Galaxy movies).

Plus it has a soundtrack by one of the dudes from Devo!