Main Menu

Fighting Fantasy gamebooks/comics. Anyone a fan?

Started by Michael Knight, 03 August, 2017, 04:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIP

Long before I wanted to be a dredd artist, I wanted to do the illustrations for these books. Even now I think that would be my dream job.

Greg M.

Quote from: SIP on 03 August, 2017, 09:32:42 PM
You could only have topped that with the barbarian illustration or the ninja illustration.

Ah yes, the famous barbarian illustration in which people think he's wearing shades (as opposed to an eyepatch.) I will admit to being particularly glad my picture contains the ninja - I had a general ninja obsession when I first read the book. The picture's actually quite small - less than A4 size.

rogue69

Forbidden Planet are holding a signing to celebrate the 35th Anniversary of the first publication of the iconic The Warlock of Firetop Mountain by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone.  Steve and Ian will be signing at the Forbidden Planet London Megastore on Friday 4th August from 6 – 7pm.

https://forbiddenplanet.com/events/2017/08/04/steve-jackson-and-ian-livingstone-signing-forbidd2/

SIP

Quote from: Greg M. on 03 August, 2017, 09:41:20 PM
Quote from: SIP on 03 August, 2017, 09:32:42 PM
You could only have topped that with the barbarian illustration or the ninja illustration.

Ah yes, the famous barbarian illustration in which people think he's wearing shades (as opposed to an eyepatch.) I will admit to being particularly glad my picture contains the ninja - I had a general ninja obsession when I first read the book. The picture's actually quite small - less than A4 size.

Ha ha, not sure how old you are sir, but im 44 and when I was at secondary school we were all crazy on ninjas, particularly in the fantasy genre. Always wanted a citadel miniature of one, along with a skeleton warrior!

Greg M.

Quote from: SIP on 03 August, 2017, 09:53:31 PM
Ha ha, not sure how old you are sir, but im 44 and when I was at secondary school we were all crazy on ninjas, particularly in the fantasy genre. Always wanted a citadel miniature of one, along with a skeleton warrior!

I'm 40, so I was having a similar obsession in primary school!

SIP

Quote from: Greg M. on 03 August, 2017, 09:59:53 PM
Quote from: SIP on 03 August, 2017, 09:53:31 PM

I'm 40, so I was having a similar obsession in primary school!

Ahh, can't go back. Happy times.

Richard

SIP - read the Sorcery books, they're fantastic!

JLX - you might be thinking of the FF book Howl of the Werewolf by Jonathan Green?

SIP

Quote from: Richard on 03 August, 2017, 10:26:25 PM

JLX - you might be thinking of the FF book Howl of the Werewolf by Jonathan Green?

I'm gearing up! I'll try and get started on them this week while I'm all aboard the nostalgia train.

Greg M.

Quote from: SIP on 03 August, 2017, 10:28:00 PM
I'm gearing up! I'll try and get started on them this week while I'm all aboard the nostalgia train.

Watch out for the Sleepless Ram.

sheridan

Quote from: Greg M. on 03 August, 2017, 07:27:58 PM
I never like to miss an opportunity to wax lyrical about Fighting Fantasy (and especially the Sorcery! books.) Seem to recall banging on about the Dennis Wheatley-tastic glory of House of Hell on another thread not too long ago. About once a year, I replay Scorpion Swamp and attempt to win without fudging any dice rolls. Am also very happy to own an original bit of art from Deathtrap Dungeon.

Scorpion Swamp - confusingly written by the other Steve Jackson (the one who recently released Apocalypse Munchkin Judge Dredd).

sheridan

Quote from: rogue69 on 03 August, 2017, 09:45:37 PM
Forbidden Planet are holding a signing to celebrate the 35th Anniversary of the first publication of the iconic The Warlock of Firetop Mountain by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone.  Steve and Ian will be signing at the Forbidden Planet London Megastore on Friday 4th August from 6 – 7pm.

https://forbiddenplanet.com/events/2017/08/04/steve-jackson-and-ian-livingstone-signing-forbidd2/

Thanks for the heads up for this - I went after work (wasn't entirely sure I'd be able to make it, or I'd have mentioned I was going along).  I'm now the proud owner of 'The Port of Peril' by Ian Livingstone, which promises to return to the Moonstone Hills, Port Blacksand and Darkwood Forest.  Also my copies of the following are freshly signed:

• Warlock of Firetop Mountain (my copy from 1982)
  • Titan: the Fighting Fantasy World (1986) edited by Marc Gascoigne from material by SJ and IL
  • You Are the Hero (bought at a gaming convention late last year or early this year, from the Novotel in Hammersmith - good practice for the 40th) by Jonathan Green

JLC

Quote from: Richard on 03 August, 2017, 10:26:25 PM

Its not that one but thanks.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

JLC has set an interesting puzzle.

There are a couple of old series that seem to go for the Conan style - most notably, Sagard The Barbarian - but none I can find that let you play as a were-creature.

Leigh S

Went to get the new book today, but no sign - the rereleased Forest of Doom and City of Thieves were there, but the art was replaced by very similar images done on a much weaker style - odd!

SIP - Sorcery is by far the greatest of all the book series - such an immersive world that feels less generic than a lot of the main series stuff, helped in no small part by the amazing Blanche art throughout

JLC

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 05 August, 2017, 05:00:51 PM
JLC has set an interesting puzzle.

There are a couple of old series that seem to go for the Conan style - most notably, Sagard The Barbarian - but none I can find that let you play as a were-creature.
Maybe I'm misremembering. Really annoying as I knew there were a couple other series of role-playing books that weren't Fighting Fantasy but were all good.