Main Menu

Prog 2046 - Demonslayer!

Started by Richard, 26 August, 2017, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

A very good issue this week.

There's a particularly good Droid Life.

Judge Dredd: War Buds features some nice art by Dan Cornwall, especially the bit with someone's brains being blown out on page 1. He's a good fit in the prog, and I'd welcome seeing more of his work in the future. (Having said that, given what this story is about I do wish they'd got Carlos to do this one, but there we go.) The action gets under way.

The Alienist is moving along nicely, and Greysuit is building up to its conclusion.

Mechastopheles is on this prog's cover, and inside we see [spoiler]a lovely big monster.[/spoiler]

But by far the best thing in the prog this week (and every week since it came back) is Hope. I don't know if this story will have a sequel (it's certainly not going to have a happy ending), but if it doesn't then these creators definitely need to have a go on something else. Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.

moly

Hope and the alienist are the highlight for me this week, for some reason the judge dredd strip isn't doing it for me with this story

glassstanley

I like the variety of settings in this prog - past, future and present.

I would have liked to have seen the Dredd flashbacks re-use Ezquerra's panels. Thus would have avoided a direct comparison between the 2 artists. It's the only thing I'd change. There's a real sense of the time that has passed since the War.

Alienist is ticking along nicely. I hope we get to explore more of this world in future stories.

The short feels a little slight at the moment. I find these harder to get into than Future Shocks. Not always sure if I'm waiting for the plot to lead to a twist or get a feel for the characters. Not sure why I feel this way but it's an either/or in the way I don't get with longer or shorter strips.

Grey Suit remains a favourite - some masterful storytelling from the Mills droid. It's a shame that there at no more stories to be told in this world. I'd be up for more.

Despite the strong competition from Dredd and Grey Suit, Hope is my favourite this prog for so many reasons. It's a strip that's made me do some of the work. Often this doesn't bode well. In the case of Hope,however, it's drawn me into the world. Gold tiger was an entertaining read, missing out for me on their being no reason to tell the tale on the way that they did. Hope shows it was worth investing in this team.

Frank

Quote from: Richard on 26 August, 2017, 02:48:08 PM
Judge Dredd: War Buds... given what this story is about I do wish they'd got Carlos to do this one

Good point, although I'd say the same about all Dredd stories. It would certainly be possible for Ezquerra to draw every Dredd story written by Wagner*.

* 10-15 episodes per year, at present.

Proudhuff

I've finally caught up to date with my back Progslog!!
This loverly beau should be awaiting my return home, pages akimbo!
You might even get my usual halfersed one line review if you're really lucky
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

A Prog of mixed blessing really.

Dredd continues to be a delight both on the eye and in story. Really enjoying this and seeing where its going. In just 2 short progs Wagner has really engaged me with characters we've not seen for years and even though only briefly. They feel real and I care about their fates. Done with such deft skill.

Both Alienist and Greysuit continues in fine, it not astonishing form. Alienist is certainly better than its been before and I'm intrigued to see the final reveals as to where the villainy truly lies. Greysuit while not holding on to its early promise moved things ahead well this episode and is building well to its showdown.

3riller is the weakest thing in the Prog. This episode felt as though it padded out a 2 part story to justify the 3 in riller.

Hope looks astonishing and once again did an effective job but I need to put this all together, but I'm increasingly looking forward to doing so, however much at times it seems built on cliched foundations.

So not a bad Prog by any stretch but not blowing me away.

Taryn Tailz

I think there's a fault with my Prog supplier, as my weekly Prog comes not with the 'masterful storytelling' version of Grey Suit, but with a version which is brick-to-the-face subtle and possibly the single worst strip to appear in the Prog this decade. :P

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 26 August, 2017, 09:09:43 PM
I think there's a fault with my Prog supplier, as my weekly Prog comes not with the 'masterful storytelling' version of Grey Suit, but with a version which is brick-to-the-face subtle and possibly the single worst strip to appear in the Prog this decade. :P

Printing error. 2000AD is printed using CMYKT. Clearly the Thrill-power plate was under-inked in your copy.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: glassstanley on 26 August, 2017, 03:21:46 PM
I like the variety of settings in this prog - past, future and present.

I would have liked to have seen the Dredd flashbacks re-use Ezquerra's panels. Thus would have avoided a direct comparison between the 2 artists. It's the only thing I'd change. There's a real sense of the time that has passed since the War.

Nah - that'd increase comparisons, as it would be right there on the same page.  The thing about where-are-they-now stories is comparing the character as they originally appeared with where they are now.  That would be difficult enough if you have different artists showing the 'then' and 'now'.  This way the only difference is the time passed, not the art style as well.

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 26 August, 2017, 02:48:08 PM
Judge Dredd: War Buds features some nice art by Dan Cornwall, especially the bit with someone's brains being blown out on page 1. He's a good fit in the prog, and I'd welcome seeing more of his work in the future. (Having said that, given what this story is about I do wish they'd got Carlos to do this one, but there we go.) The action gets under way.
This particular artist notwithstanding, most where-are-they-now stories tend to be done by different creative teams, partially because if the original creator really wanted to keep tabs on the character, they'd do it along the way, as we often get with supporting cast members in non-Wagnerian Judge Dredd strips.  This story is actually quite different as it is actually Wagner returning to the characters.

Delingpole

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 26 August, 2017, 09:09:43 PM
It really is so bad in so many ways. It's a relief to read that there are others feeling my pain. From the 6th form politics to the poor and unconvincing art, this whole strip is making me think that at the tender age of 50 my 2000AD days may be coming to an end.

Proudhuff

A Prog of mixed blessing really.

Damage Report: TMO takes holidays?

Dredd continues to be a delight both on the eye and in story. Really enjoying this and seeing where its going. In just 2 short progs Wagner has really engaged me with characters we've not seen for years and even though only briefly. They feel real and I care about their fates. Done with such deft skill.

Alienist
continues in fine form. Enjoying the art too.
Greysuit: not in my name!

3riller is fine, some nice background and a big robot/demon face off.

Hope keeps me wanting to see whats going on just off screen, Howard Chakyn should have done this one.

So a great Prog by any stretch! ( thanks Colin :wave:)

DDT did a job on me

Muon