Main Menu

Prog 2048 - Stop the Apocalypse Squad!

Started by Richard, 12 September, 2017, 10:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

It's unlikely that everyone -- especially people living in the Cursed Earth -- can afford flying cars.

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 17 September, 2017, 07:26:56 PM

'Barbara, I'm thinking we need a highway linking our cities. What do you say? It'll make things a lot simpler - and cheaper.'

'It's worth considering, certainly, but any feasible route will cut through a lot of mutant territories. The highway would have to be elevated to avoid -'

'Nonsense. I'm sure we'll be able to negotiate fa fair settlement with them.'

The Lion's Den, Carroll & Holden, prog 1982

Good catch, Frank!  And yeah, I think it's a vastly different thing for a highway link between two mega-cities and between MC-1 and its various Cursed Earth outposts.  Worth noting that Dredd used a H-Wagon (I think) every time he went to and from either the workcamps or the townships: although he has visited farms and ranches on a lawmaster. 

A.Cow

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 September, 2017, 11:30:45 PM
Worth noting that Dredd used a H-Wagon (I think) every time he went to and from either the workcamps or the townships: although he has visited farms and ranches on a lawmaster.

Um ... doesn't MC-1 have a border about 1000 miles long?

Surely there would be roads at some gates and dirt at others, depending on usage.  Not sure why this is confusing everybody.

Frank

Quote from: A.Cow on 18 September, 2017, 07:39:59 AM
Not sure why this is confusing everybody.

It's not confusing, outraging, or dividing anyone.

It's an observation. Until now, a voyage into the Cursed Earth has been depicted as a bumpy ride across wasteland that requires a Tonka truck.

Now it isn't. That is the full extent of the observation.

TordelBack

Think that's the point being made, A. Cow:  there are dirt routes, and there are highway routes, depending on where you are going.

Without others' facility for throwing up the relevant panels, here's a quote from Day of Chaos: Eve of Destruction:
QuoteHe'd flown to Canadia, intending to enter the city along the highway that snaked down through the barren wasteland to the North-West Hab Zone
.  The road depicted in the story is multi-lane, and elevated.  We've seen such roads before, traversing the Rad Zones created by the Apocalypse War, most notably the one that links the North-West Hab Zone to the rest of the city: to see them in the Cursed Earth is only an extension of the idea.

It's been 40 years since Dredd crossed the Cursed Earth, 70 years since the war itself. It'd be crazy if links between the surviving cities hadn't changed, even improved, especially with the last decade's emphasis on exploitation of the wasteland for settlement and production.  An ongoing process, as the exchange Frank cites from The Lion's Den indicates.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Frank on 17 September, 2017, 07:26:56 PM
Even so, when Rico led a Fury Road of vehicles from the mutie settlements in Day Of Chaos (1789), Henry Flint must have forgotten to draw them using the massive highways some folks (above) seem to think are necessary for those farms and towns to function.
Yet when the same artist drew the road leading to the city in Dead Zone, it was as a massive, cleared space through waste and rubble.
We never really die.

Frank

Richard