Main Menu

Prog 2048 - Stop the Apocalypse Squad!

Started by Richard, 12 September, 2017, 10:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iutley

Quote from: Frank on 13 September, 2017, 10:14:56 PM

*  Even if I did wonder when Justice Department decided to build four lane highways leading out of and into a city they want to keep citizens in and keep migrants out of with equal, fanatical zeal. It's always looked like the rubble and desert of the Cursed Earth goes right up to the wall in previous depictions. Although top marks to Cornwell for attention to detail - the on-ramp merges into the highway from the right, which is the kind of cultural difference that usually foxes UK artists.

I think they've improved the road infrastructure following the building of all of the Mutant Camps in The Cursed Earth that MC1 now has responsibility for maintaining and policing. I'd assume that means more traffic in an out on a daily basis than previously?

Frank

Quote from: I, Cosh on 14 September, 2017, 10:44:18 AM
Atic Atac was a top down view.

This will be my last post anywhere on the internet.

Magnetica

It's taken me a while to catch up since my hols so you can take this as a review of the recent run.

Dredd: good solid fun. Whilst I like Dan Cornwell's art and would definitely like to see more, it is engendering a certain "cartoony" feel to the whole thing.

The Alienist: my view is perfectly summed up by IP -

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 September, 2017, 11:24:52 AM
Alienist: I wasn't sure what to make of this at first, but I'm enjoying the run so far. It feels like it'll be one of those strips where I won't clamour for its return, but will nonetheless be happy enough if it does.

Greysuit: possibly not a popular view but I really like this. Best thing from Uncle Pat in years? (Actually that was probably the last series of Defoe).

Hope: the break has proved far more disruptive than I thought. Will re-read in one go once complete.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Frank on 14 September, 2017, 12:30:28 PM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 14 September, 2017, 10:44:18 AM
Atic Atac was a top down view.
This will be my last post anywhere on the internet.
Think I'll try to out on 8888.
We never really die.

norton canes

Cover: Good. Well... interesting. Nice helmet, but the weirdly skinny Dredd-head beneath doesn't really fill it out. Great skin texturing through. And bike - the bike is great, but it is of course utterly different to the one we see Dredd riding on the very next page. I mean I'm sure Justice Department has plenty of different Lawmaster models but it is a bit jarring.

Dredd: Very touching. It seems like it needs at least three more episodes to properly conclude the story though.

The Alienist: Still managing the feat of getting better every week. The carpenter's tools attack was the highlight this time.

Greysuit: So glad M.A.C.H.1 was never like this.

Future Shock: Gruesome, but a bit of a weak pay-off. Would have preferred to see a properly graphic SPLAT in the denouement.

Hope: More Hope... for the Future for the future, I hope.

Richard

Woolly

Quote from: norton canes on 14 September, 2017, 03:17:13 PM
And bike - the bike is great, but it is of course utterly different to the one we see Dredd riding on the very next page. I mean I'm sure Justice Department has plenty of different Lawmaster models but it is a bit jarring.

I think it's this that he's drawn...

It's one of the old-school 'P-TOO' ones, with the laser cannon on the front.
And you're right - Justice Dept do have a lot of Lawmaster models...  ;)

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 13 September, 2017, 10:14:56 PM
The isometric (Attic Attack) view of the ack-ack gun turrets on the awesome South Wall were enough to sell me on the art

Another vote for that panel - standout image from this prog.

QuoteEven if I did wonder when Justice Department decided to build four lane highways leading out of and into a city they want to keep citizens in and keep migrants out of with equal, fanatical zeal. It's always looked like the rubble and desert of the Cursed Earth goes right up to the wall in previous depictions.

Previous depictions were before MC1 was dependant on all those Cursed Earth farms (and had increased ties with TC).  I assumed those megways were headed straight to the city of big hats.

sheridan

Quote from: norton canes on 14 September, 2017, 03:17:13 PM
Cover: Good. Well... interesting. Nice helmet, but the weirdly skinny Dredd-head beneath doesn't really fill it out. Great skin texturing through. And bike - the bike is great, but it is of course utterly different to the one we see Dredd riding on the very next page. I mean I'm sure Justice Department has plenty of different Lawmaster models but it is a bit jarring.

Not understanding this at all - I see two bike designs, one in the present the other in flashback.  Events taking place in each of the time periods are consistent.

Richard

The flashback is to 21 years ago. It's not inconceivable that they start using a different model in the meantime. There are some early Dredd stories where we see different versions of the Lawmaster in the same panel.

norton canes

Quote from: sheridan on 14 September, 2017, 09:03:39 PM
Not understanding this at all - I see two bike designs, one in the present the other in flashback.  Events taking place in each of the time periods are consistent

Yeah sorry, I'd missed the fact that the Lawmasters seen in the flashback sequence are of course the classic design, which is therefore featured on the cover.

SIP

I still haven't received this prog, despite receiving prog 2049 yesterday. Anyone else the same?

TordelBack

Big improvement in proggage this week. 

Cover is a very strong Dredd image, but the rather uncomfortable repurposing of generic inventory is emphasised clumsy speech balloon and ugly tagline font. Also, the straight statue swipe rumbled by Woolly lets it down a bit.

Dredd: Really fab action and nice call-back to another classic. There's been a constant stream of traffic into/out of the Cursed Earth for years now, with multi-lane highways shown* crossing at least the Apocalypse War wastelands of the north-west and southern sectors.  A formal land-link to TC makes sense, matching the undersea one with Brit-Cit and (I think) the overland route to Canadia.   

Have I missed something, or is absolutely no-one mentioning Ocks at all?  Could this be because he was in the original script until Tharg pointed out that Rennie had killed him off in Gulag?  As the squad member with the most page-time after the Big Three, it seems a bit odd otherwise.

Greysuit:  Goddamnit Mills, goddamnit.  You take by far the most turgidly hopeless of your recent creations and turn it into a rip-roaring Big Dave romp that's probably the most fun thing in the prog.  Mutatis mutandi: "never give up on the Gaffer".  (Quick Tharg, cancel Slaine - a final series like this and I wouldn't think it too many!). 

Future Shock:  A fine and visually memorable tale, skilfully told.  More from these two, please.

The Alienist: Continues to be a great read, with genuinely interesting characters, and I still haven't a clue which is actually the baddest baddie.  Hope there's lots more of this in the works.

Hope:  Woah, there's noir and then there's dark.  Excellent stuff, and the panel recycling does actually serve the story, even if it's most likely a worrying function of how in demand Broxton is.

*As recently as Day of Chaos, where the skysurfer agent comes in along a raised roadway.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 September, 2017, 03:16:55 PM
A formal land-link to TC makes sense

Crystal and Alexis Carrington agree, in principle:

'Barbara, I'm thinking we need a highway linking our cities. What do you say? It'll make things a lot simpler - and cheaper.'

'It's worth considering, certainly, but any feasible route will cut through a lot of mutant territories. The highway would have to be elevated to avoid -'

'Nonsense. I'm sure we'll be able to negotiate fa fair settlement with them.'

The Lion's Den, Carroll & Holden, prog 1982

Of course, if you cited a Carroll Dredd story in support of an observation you made, I'd be quick to say the forbidden thing - the thing that insults all the other very talented Dredd writers and all the good work they do - so that makes me a massive hypocrite.

Even so, when Rico led a Fury Road of vehicles from the mutie settlements in Day Of Chaos (1789), Henry Flint must have forgotten to draw them using the massive highways some folks (above) seem to think are necessary for those farms and towns to function.