Main Menu

Prog 2050 - Epic Thrills!

Started by Richard, 23 September, 2017, 04:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: Frank on 08 October, 2017, 10:32:36 AM
Quote from: Grant Goggans on 08 October, 2017, 01:52:08 AM
Without a statement, it's easy to assume a creative type having a Gibson/McKenzie/G. Morrison disagreement with editorial (because it's happened so often), but it's not necessary.  Until we hear otherwise, I choose to believe that Smith has passed the baton

Smith said he gave Long his blessing at the 40th anniversary party*. As you say, it's odd not to have heard the official line on such a significant move.

The background to this - as much as we know, anyway - is that Smith posted on social media in February, saying he was writing the third episode of A Dying Art**, after a two year hiatus.

Smith said Carter had already completed the two episodes we've just read. Carter getting paid for the incredible work he's done, and not losing him as artist, are the only compelling reasons I can see for the decisions taken.

And they don't explain the simultaneous appearance of Rory McConville's Devlin Waugh. ***

* He also said he was looking forward to experiencing the strip as a reader, but - understandably - also hopes it turns out awful without him. He's also said he hopes not to go 'all Alan Moore' about it.

** Smith described the Psychosphere episodes he had in mind as a haunted house story set in the seventies, the house in question being London's Dolphin Square.

*** Smith said he was also keen to write more Waugh, celebrating the strip's 25th anniversary by killing the character off.

As much as I share your enthusiasm for Smith and Indigo Prime, I think two episodes of a story being written, drawn, paid for and still unable to be run after two years leaves the editor in a very sticky situation.

I don't really want to get myself too far into the murky waters of Internet speculation and tale-telling but if you're using John's Facebook page as a source you should be able to find the post where Peter Doherty bluntly says they were asked for more Devlin but John didn't write anything.

The preceding assigns no value judgements to the actions of inactions described or imagined.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: I, Cosh on 08 October, 2017, 12:55:52 PM
Quote from: Frank on 08 October, 2017, 10:32:36 AM
Smith said Carter had already completed the two episodes we've just read. Carter getting paid for the incredible work he's done, and not losing him as artist, are the only compelling reasons I can see for the decisions taken.

As much as I share your enthusiasm for Smith and Indigo Prime, I think two episodes of a story being written, drawn, paid for and still unable to be run after two years leaves the editor in a very sticky situation.

True. I suppose this is the inverse of that Joe Pineapples solo series Simon Bisley's always about to start work on next Tuesday, whenever he's asked.*

* If there's one thing we can be sure of, it's that Pat Mills has been paid in full for the scripts he delivered on that one.

john_s

Cosh has got it about right, yeah.  There's lots behind it, and I could pour out my sob story about my boyfriend dying and life going to shit (by actually having to actually learn what real life is), but I'll save it for a Bitter And Evil Podcast somewhere, eh?

Oh yeah.  And they should let anyone and everyone have a go at doing "Indigo Prime" stories.  It's kinda why I brought 'em back! Same with Devlin.  You could riff off these characters into any story.  I'm just rather annoyed they're so lame as to use all the obvious trappings that I've laid out for years! Tying up 25 years of cryptic hints in a few episodes is, well, what...?  "Fuck you, Smith! These characters... "Your my wives now..."

Jim_Campbell

Well, thanks to page after page of incessant speculating and scavenging of scraps from social media, you've managed to make a man post about his bereavement on a public forum.

Well done, Frank. You must be terribly pleased with yourself.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Woolly

Sorry to read about your loss, john_s.

Also sorry that you felt you had to post about it here.*

*Not having a pop at anyone - I've been following this thread for info too.
Maybe time to remember that creator's private lives are just that - private.

TordelBack

John, my deepest condolences on your loss, and every sympathy for all that follows from it. 

Thanks a million for taking the time to clarify things re: your series, it is very much appreciated.  For what little it matters, the level of chatter here surrounding IP and Devlin should be some indication of the immense value we place on your work, and on your very unique voice.  More than anything I hope things improve for you.

Tjm86

Mr Smith ... what Tordels said sir.

I, Cosh

My condolences to you John and I sincerely regret it if my own drivel has led you to feel you have to drag this up in public.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: john_s on 09 October, 2017, 06:19:06 AM
... they should let anyone and everyone have a go at doing "Indigo Prime" stories.  It's kinda why I brought 'em back! Same with Devlin.  You could riff off these characters into any story.

Thank you for the reply, John, and condolences for your loss.

GordonR

Quote from: I, Cosh on 09 October, 2017, 08:55:14 AM
My condolences to you John and I sincerely regret it if my own drivel has led you to feel you have to drag this up in public.

I don't think you're the one who needs to apologise for anything here.

Frank

Feel free to explain yourself, Gordon. Use quotes.

Dark Jimbo

Or - now that we know the truth - maybe we should all just let it go?
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

I wasn't asking why John hadn't delivered a script, but I agree we should drop the topic.