Main Menu

Prog 2053 - Leap of Wraith!

Started by Richard, 14 October, 2017, 01:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSFTM

Long time Member .. occassional poster

it looks like i may have recieved a dodgy copy of the 2000ad because the art i saw in dredd is probably the worst i have ever seen in the the Galaxys Greatest, it looks like he has used Beavis and Butthead as reference material and someone has described to him what Dredd looks like over the phone (he's an Orange with a helmet on)  its terrible  its thrown into such a stark contrast because the rest of the issue is incredible looking.

disappears back to lurking
It Could Be That The Sole Purpose Of Your Life Is To Serve As A Warning To Others

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'd have been disappointed to see that Dredd art in Zarjaz.
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Specifically, I think it lacked depth - it was very flat -  and was taken aback at a swoosh line being used to show motion.
Lock up your spoons!

Proudhuff

What an extraordinarily meh Prog this week! That cover could have been wading through blood FFS!

Dredd: Not keen on the artwork I'm sorry to say, a lot of it makes me think of that horrid IDW Dredd, and Dredd kind of looks like a bulldog chewing a wasp. on the positive side there is a fine collection of VP, so often the downfall of new artists on Dredd.

Indigo Prime is so beyond me, I despair at my lack of empathy.

Slaine finally does something... but I'm well past caring

Absalom is the highlight of the prog and so wonderful to have the cheery auld fecker back in the Prog.   ;)

Grey Area ties everything up with a nice bow, but I can't help but feel this has outstayed its original premise and is now a Dirty Dozen with aliens.

The first real dip in Prog production for me in years, but that's cause the normal service is skyhigh!

DDT did a job on me

Frank

Quote from: Proudhuff on 17 October, 2017, 04:19:36 PM
... on the positive side there is a fine collection of VP, so often the downfall of new artists on Dredd

Visible panty line? Only David Roach draws the uniform so tight you see camel toe.

Rob Williams and Trevor Hairsine gave us Where Shoulder Eagles Dare this time last year*, so Dirty Doxenomorphs is overdue (and sounds like fun, honestly).

Let's hope this is the end of such hybridity, though. There's no room for derivative material in the comic that brought us Dirty Harry In The 22nd Century, Moll Flanders And Her Robot Dog, Toby, and Grant Morrison's What If Marvelman Met Stock, Aitken, and Waterman?

* Get Sin, 2001 - 2003

Frank

Damn! Should have gone for 'Stock, Aitken, and Marvelman'.

Richard

Quote(Grey Area) has outstayed its original premise and is now a Dirty Dozen with aliens.

I don't think it's always a bad thing when a series moves on from its roots and does something new. Sometimes it works well, and breathes new life into a series which would otherwise have either ended or overstayed its welcome.

Imagine if Nikolai Dante without Tsar Wars. Would it still have been as good?

Imagine if Dredd had never left the streets -- we'd never have had The Cursed Earth, the Judge Child, or Tour of Duty. Imagine if every Dredd story had to be a police procedural story.

So I'm quite happy to see Grey Area tread new ground. And it's not as if it's for the first time.

Magnetica

I think that is a good point. When you look at 200OAD's history, it is often the strips that have the most flexibility to tell different stories that endure. Prime examples being Dredd and Strontium Dog.

Look at Dredd. You can do police procedural, crazy future society, political thriller, mystery, horror, war, social commentary and probably more.

With Strontium Dog you can do: straight bounty hunt, rescue, war, social commentary, heists / capers and more.

Strips that can only do one thing eventually run out of steam and then get dropped.

Some might say there are other strips that can't do anything else than the original premise but carry on regardless with ever diminishing returns and really should either evolve or end.

dweezil2

Really quite shocked at the vitriol levelled at the Dredd art!  :o

In my 40 years plus of reading the comic I've seen better and I've certainly seen worse.

Can't see what the big deal is. :-\
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

sheridan

Quote from: Proudhuff on 17 October, 2017, 04:19:36 PM
Dredd: Not keen on the artwork I'm sorry to say, a lot of it makes me think of that horrid IDW Dredd, and Dredd kind of looks like a bulldog chewing a wasp. on the positive side there is a fine collection of VP, so often the downfall of new artists on Dredd.

Vive President?  Visible Panties?  Virtual Processor?  Verb Phrase?  Variegate Porphyria?

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

sheridan

Quote from: dweezil2 on 18 October, 2017, 06:29:25 PM
Really quite shocked at the vitriol levelled at the Dredd art!  :o

In my 40 years plus of reading the comic I've seen better and I've certainly seen worse.

Can't see what the big deal is. :-\

I feel the same - didn't really jump out at me, but there's been worse published in the GG.  Quite like the Rogue Cephalopods on the first page...

Frank

Quote from: dweezil2 on 18 October, 2017, 06:29:25 PM
Really quite shocked at the vitriol levelled at the Dredd art! ... In my 40 years plus of reading the comic I've seen better and I've certainly seen worse.

The reaction on social media is an interesting way to gauge the age of readers. When you see someone claim this is the worst art the strip's ever seen, you can tell they stopped reading before 1990.

The names of Russell Fox, Ilya, and Manuel Benet must be foreign to them. Like Simon Roy, none of them are awful artists, but they didn't demonstrate a great understanding of what makes the strip or the character work.

They're in good company. John Burns is a fantastic artist, who has drawn some of the most important Dredd stories of all time. I like everything about his Dredd work except his Dredd and his Megacity One.

Same goes for Roy; his alien designs are fun, but his Dredd and his city (buildings, tech, citizens) do nothing worthwhile. I'd give any debut Dredd artist a break, though. Ron Smith and Chris Weston are masters, but their first strips get better the more you forget they exist.

JOE SOAP

I think it's more a case of middle-aged men suffering from memory loss then acting like middle-aged men still reading comics.

Frank

Remember when Brian Bolland drew Dredd every week? Those were the days; white dog shit everywhere, and you didn't have to watch what you say.