Main Menu

Prog 2054 - Me & My Shadow

Started by Grant Goggans, 21 October, 2017, 02:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

McMahon back on Dredd: so much energy in every frame. Lovely stuff.

Frank

Fair enough. You and the way you post seem alright to me, Tips.

TordelBack

I'm a bit lost here. Foster's stuff does recall Bolland, in the best possible way. So did early Cliff Robinson, some Brett Ewins and a lot of Gary Leach.  Is it not okay to mention/joke about this? TBH I think we're being a bit hard on Frank here, or at least a bit quick to read malice into a simple quip.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 October, 2017, 05:51:01 PM
... a simple quip.

Simple? SIMPLE? I'll gie ye fuckin' simple, ya raj c***!

Every thread on this board should, ideally, revolve around me, but I'll fake humility with a token gesture towards discussing the comic. Wooly's correct in saying Dylan Teague would do a great job colouring McMahon, but Chris Blythe's work here is brilliant.

The muted palette, textures, and use of non-black lines seem to allude to McMahon's own colour aesthetic.

Rather than deploying the same box of tricks for every job, Blythe considers each assignment on its own terms, creating a custom methodology to bring out the best in this specific line work and the precise tone of this story.

Contrasting Blythe's work here with the equally superb but totally different range of techniques he utilised colouring Colin MacNeil for the last few weeks makes you realise Blythe's credit really should read COLOUR ARTIST.

*** The above is a joke, predicated upon the ambiguous meaning of the word 'simple'; signifying, on the one hand, a lack of complication, and, in another sense, stupidity - as in the Forest Gump spoof, Simple Jack, a film within the film Tropic Thunder. I am not aggrieved by TordelBack's supportive comment, and respect him highly. I felt free to address him as a cunt safe in the knowledge that our long association, shared sense of humour, and the universal high regard he enjoy with all board members mean he was sure to discern that the term of abuse was used for ironic effect. My use of the three stars denoting the word 'cunt' to direct the reader's attention to this footnote was also a sort of textual joke in itself.

You know, I see now that I was wrong. A full explanation of the specific (and wider) cultural context of every gag takes no time at all and, if possible, makes it even more hilarious. 

Geoff

Have to say, Frank's posts are often the most enjoyable (and well-expressed and bizarrely detailed) posts on this forum...

Often the good stuff is open to interpretation/misinterpretation, it's part of the fun really...

Colin YNWA

I'm a bit lost here. Foster's stuff does recall Bolland, in the best possible way. So did ... some Brett Ewins

Now that's an interesting one. Any particular bits, its not one I see but would defo like to see where your coming from there.

Tiplodocus

TBH I think we're being a bit hard on Frank here, or at least a bit quick to read malice into a simple quip.

I did say I was wrong and would read in a more positive tone in the future. Unusual for the internet, I know.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

maryanddavid

Richard

Slightly off-topic, but that REVENGE you see in what is the first page of that particular story is in fact the story title, and not "Four Dark Judges" as some c**** once came up with and which, sadly, appears to have stuck. Oh well.

*Frank is in fact brilliant and an integral part of this board.

Frank

Quote from: Richard on 23 October, 2017, 10:02:06 PM
... that REVENGE you see ... is in fact the story title ...

That I did not know. Cheers, Richard.

Richard

Well a previous Tharg missed it when it was in the Best Of monthly.

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus
I did say I was wrong and would read in a more positive tone in the future. Unusual for the internet, I know.

You're not wrong there!

David is right about which Ewins 'homages' Bolland. Bloody good job too!

But Richard, is that just wishful thinking, or do you have a source for that? Cos I've always hated the other non-title. 'Revenge' really lifts the whole story somehow!

Jim_Campbell

Surely if 'Revenge' was the story title, it would say "Revenge: Part 1"...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richard

None of the episodes have the episode number on them, and after the first episode none of them have the title again. But in the Best Of 2000AD they listed it as "Four Dark Judges" and I'm sure they've called it that since.

Richard