Main Menu

Doctor Who (13th Doctor)

Started by JamesC, 09 November, 2017, 02:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip-r mk2

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 December, 2017, 04:20:00 PM
and that last sting of Moffat sexism to round things off (HAHAHAH WOMEN CAN'T DRIVE! Oh do fuck off).

Bastard of a cliffhanger though. I do hope that one was agree with Chibnall, because otherwise that's a bugger to deal with as an incoming writer.

filippo
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

IndigoPrime

In which case consider my optimism merrily smacked back.

Leigh S

The "let's regenerate in the TARDIS mid flight" thing is very odd - Again,, I presume this is a production thing because they want to renew the console room, but from a plot and character point of view, it's  nonsense.

New Doctor Who has been very aware of the fanes no matter how much it might protest, from the RTD days onwards "Slitheen/Levine" and "Love and Monsters" as the big example  - many a chance to dig a rib in has been taken. You could argue justifiably in many cases, and it might fly over the head of casual viewer, but it's there and I can't see a better explanation for characterising the First Doctor as narrow/small minded except fo the lolz?

M.I.K.

and that last sting of Moffat sexism to round things off (HAHAHAH WOMEN CAN'T DRIVE! Oh do fuck off).

Capaldi's Doctor completely forgot how to pilot the TARDIS after regenerating. Smith's Doctor crashed the TARDIS after regenerating.

Whittaker's Doctor presses a single button, (probably the correct button), and "MULTIPLE SYSTEMS FAILURE" flashes up on a screen, the TARDIS goes mental and cracks appear along the uppydown bit of the console, likely due to damage caused by the regeneration energy shooting out all over the place a few seconds beforehand.

Sod all wrong with her driving.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Will the Doctor spend her first few adventures Earthbound trying to get her Tardis back? I assume she survives the fall, meets her erstwhile Companions en route who will help/hinder her before she reunites with the Tardis and Galactic adventure ensues. The Doctor will have to slum it on Public Transport just like us poor humans and the 'no Tardis for a bit' rule might give the writers ideas for more Earth-based storylines which are usually cheaper to make.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Tiplodocus

Enjoyed that but could have done without the second hour of Capaldi's farewell speech.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 26 December, 2017, 07:03:50 PM
Will the Doctor spend her first few adventures Earthbound trying to get her Tardis back? I assume she survives the fall, meets her erstwhile Companions en route who will help/hinder her before she reunites with the Tardis and Galactic adventure ensues. The Doctor will have to slum it on Public Transport just like us poor humans and the 'no Tardis for a bit' rule might give the writers ideas for more Earth-based storylines which are usually cheaper to make.

Well I know there's an episode set in Sheffield and some of it was shot in the bus station - just down from my office (well we're on the tenth floor), we were all of a titter, but saw nowt.

So you might be closer than you think and it would certainly give for an interesting premise to start off with.

Taryn Tailz

There was an interview with Chris Chibnall in which he stated that he hadn't expected the BBC to agree to the plan he had for changing the series format going forward, but that they did, so I can certainly imagine the potential for perhaps as much as a whole series spent trapped on Earth, perhaps even as a single extended serial. If such an arc took place over a good number of years, this could explain why there are as many as three new companions lined up for the new series, with only one of them appearing during a given time period?(Something the old Eighth Doctor books actually did for a good half dozen novels.)

IndigoPrime

Quote from: M.I.K. on 26 December, 2017, 06:35:20 PMWhittaker's Doctor presses a single button, (probably the correct button), and "MULTIPLE SYSTEMS FAILURE" flashes up on a screen, the TARDIS goes mental and cracks appear along the uppydown bit of the console, likely due to damage caused by the regeneration energy shooting out all over the place a few seconds beforehand.

Intentional or not, the connotations of such a scene are obvious, as evidenced by the rampant comments barreling around the internet. I hope she'll be brilliant, and I hope Chibnall injects something new and exciting into a show that's too often become tiresome under Moffat. (I liked the last series a lot, but with someone like Capaldi, it shouldn't have taken that long to get him into a watchable space.)

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 December, 2017, 11:29:06 AM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 26 December, 2017, 06:35:20 PMWhittaker's Doctor presses a single button, (probably the correct button), and "MULTIPLE SYSTEMS FAILURE" flashes up on a screen, the TARDIS goes mental and cracks appear along the uppydown bit of the console, likely due to damage caused by the regeneration energy shooting out all over the place a few seconds beforehand.

Intentional or not, the connotations of such a scene are obvious, as evidenced by the rampant comments barreling around the internet. I hope she'll be brilliant, and I hope Chibnall injects something new and exciting into a show that's too often become tiresome under Moffat. (I liked the last series a lot, but with someone like Capaldi, it shouldn't have taken that long to get him into a watchable space.)

The connotations did cross my mind too - Interesting about Smith and Capaldi, but I don't remember their very first actions being to 'crash' the TARDIS.  Remains to be seen whether the button push is justified in the next series, though I doubt it will be (if they needed to get the Doctor away from the ship, it could have been done better).

geronimo

Is there any possibility that the new Doctor is in fact the Tardis itself, which is traditionally shown to have a female personality and she has simply transferred herself into the doctor's new regeneration?  Just a wild guess of mine!

M.I.K.

Crashing is precisely what their first actions were subsequent to complaining about their hair/kidney colour. They even both use the word "crashing", with Capaldi then going on to ask Clara "do you happen to know how to fly this thing?". It's the cliffhanger at the end of both episodes.

Moreover, after the majority of regenerations, the Doctor has acted erratically and muddled for a while before his brain settles down a bit. If this Doctor has pressed the wrong button it'd be entirely consistent with the confused state he/she usually finds themself in. Though I don't think that's what's happened. Who puts a blowupeverything crashy button in the middle of a load of other identical buttons?

Re : TARDIS regenerating into the Doctor theory... Personally don't think so, but it did occur to me that it almost looked like the TARDIS was intentionally chucking her out, which could be read as the TARDIS not being entirely happy with the gender change, but could also be interpreted as the TARDIS attempting to save the Doctor's life because she, (The TARDIS), knew a particularly big internal explosion was about to happen and that Timelords are a bit more resilient immediately after regenerating and that the Doctor's more likely to survive a fall than a fireball.

Link Prime

that last sting of Moffat sexism

Genuine question- was Moffat's stint on Dr. Who generally perceived to be sexist?

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I didn't mind it, I have only two complaints.

1) It wasn't as good as Day of the Doctor.
2) It was another missed opportunity to bring Paul McGann back (actually several missed opportunities).

Quote from: Link Prime on 27 December, 2017, 01:29:50 PM
Genuine question- was Moffat's stint on Dr. Who generally perceived to be sexist?

I fear that this has become accepted wisdom, and this has led to somewhat ridiculous assertions, such as that a scene that Moffat didn't write or have any control over - a scene that shows The Doctor regenerate into a woman, by the way, after years of Moffat patiently building up to it - is conclusive evidence that Moffat is a misogynistic bastard.

My view is that he's not sexist, but that he did fail as a showrunner to write to the consistently high standard he set for himself during the RTD era.

Leigh S

I found Moffatt's female characters by and large, not so much sexist, but suspect... Certainly they seem product of a male mind with a good chunk of male gaze thrown in - Bill was pretty refreshing in this regard, and I think that (and Nardole) really boosted the final season. 

I had high hopes for the finale - if you squint and think of Capaldi as the last of the old Doctors (I kniw, two Tennants or somesuch nonsense!), then him meetng his first incarnation and having a similar dilemma about entering an unknown equation would have worked wonders

Instead, we got First Doctor doing a "what's wrong with being sexy?" "stop that fairytale nonsense" Moffatt critic proxy.  Bradley is very stilted and doesnt have any of Hartnells impishness.  I hoped that this would give Hartnell a more rousing send off than he got in the original series, where he just wears a bit thin, doesnt do much in the story and falls over.  But watch the Tenth Planet, then watch this - is it a more fitting send off for Hartnell, as this is ultimately what this has become continuity wise?

It's a massive shame, as there were interesting avenues to explore for the characters, but we spent it exploring the avenues of the writers ego instead