Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 10313 times)

Link Prime

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #225 on: 18 January, 2018, 04:34:08 pm »
I cant decide if that cardboard stuff is madness or genius

A bit of both I think!

radiator

• Bionic Fingers
  • A fry without beans is a mere meat collage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: 18 January, 2018, 04:59:46 pm »
While the Labo doesn't interest me in the slightest (it's obviously aimed at kids) it's great to see Nintendo really embracing play and experimentation in their games. This philosophy seems to be influencing even their singleplayer games like Odyssey, Mario Maker and Breath pf the Wild. I think Minecraft was a real wake up call for the industry in this respect, which for most of the early 2000s was really drifting towards this very stale trend of online deathmatch and linear 'cinematic' singleplayer experiences (both of which bore me to tears). And thank god for that.

JamesC

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: 18 January, 2018, 06:38:48 pm »
While the Labo doesn't interest me in the slightest (it's obviously aimed at kids) it's great to see Nintendo really embracing play and experimentation in their games. This philosophy seems to be influencing even their singleplayer games like Odyssey, Mario Maker and Breath pf the Wild. I think Minecraft was a real wake up call for the industry in this respect, which for most of the early 2000s was really drifting towards this very stale trend of online deathmatch and linear 'cinematic' singleplayer experiences (both of which bore me to tears). And thank god for that.

While I partly agree with this, one of the main strengths of Minecraft is the simplicity of the idea and the fact that it can be played on almost any modern device (that’s capable of playing video games at all that is).
Nintendo are certainly willing to innovate but there’s clearly a directive to tie their own proprietary technology into gameplay innovations. This can have its downsides and I certainly sympathise with those who want to play ‘straight’ Nintendo games that don’t rely on the gimmicks.
A couple of examples where this approach has been detrimental:
Star Fox Zero - the multi screen control system simply doesn’t work well for this type of game. It had dated gameplay anyway but the obtuse interface was a really bad idea.
Breath of the Wild - Wii U - I’m convinced that touch screen functionality was removed from this game (for weapon switching etc) because they didn’t want it to have extra features which couldn’t be incorporated into the Switch version.

Tiplodocus

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 21 January, 2018, 09:38:59 pm »
Downloaded demo of Project Octopath Traveller (I guess it's a working title) and am loving it.

And as Teen (nee Tiny) Tips said "Labo isn't really aimed at us... But that's not going to  stop us getting It, is It?"
Be excellent to each other. And party on!