Main Menu

The Punisher TV series whats the verdict? worth catching?

Started by Michael Knight, 04 January, 2018, 02:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

Love the character and comics and the 3 films thus far for all their different merits and faults. Feel i can trust the verdict of the great folks on here. Is it any good?

Jim_Campbell

Still a couple of episodes from the end (I'm not one for bingeing!) but I think it's excellent. I'm not sure how much resemblance it bears to Punisher comics in general and [spoiler]he's spent basically zero time in the suit so far[/spoiler] but it's a striking depiction of the damage done to men who serve and a brutal de-romanticisation (is that a word?!) of people we generally refer to as heroes.

It's well-written and surprisingly thought-provoking, with some decent action sequences thrown in and some sly commentary on male friendship.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

It's really good but very different from any Punisher comics I've read.
I was kind of expecting a live-action version of Punsher-Max and this certainly isn't that.
Definitely worth watching though.

IndigoPrime

Watched ep 1. It was fine, although only just on the right side of Mrs G continuing with it. (She didn't hate it, and the gore factor wasn't quite to the first ep of Preacher, which she didn't want to carry on with.) I do wonder if either of us will make it though the entire thing though.

JamesC

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 04 January, 2018, 03:31:20 PM
Watched ep 1. It was fine, although only just on the right side of Mrs G continuing with it. (She didn't hate it, and the gore factor wasn't quite to the first ep of Preacher, which she didn't want to carry on with.) I do wonder if either of us will make it though the entire thing though.

Yes, it's rather slow paced and drags a bit in parts. More than made up for by the high points though.

IndigoPrime

So far, my wife's not been thrilled by the level of gratuitous violence, The Punisher "being a dick" (notably with his standoffishness, but then with the [spoiler]bloke in the mixer[/spoiler], which she noted [spoiler]would have lead to some serious burns[/spoiler]), and has asked if at any point anyone ever mentions his wife's name. (Additionally: "Why does his wife have such shit lines?")

I... can't disagree. We'll watch another one or two, but I can't imagine it'll be a priority show, and it might end up being punted now Dirk Gently's back.

Mardroid

I liked it. I can imagine it might drag a bit if you watch episode by episode weekly, but consuming a few at a time, I found it okay. I have little experience with the comic version, so I can't compare it with that.

manwithnoname

My recent Punisher fix has been via Ennis/ Dillon and The Punisher Max comics, and I really enjoyed what I've read of that run. Started watching the TV series when it dawned on me the family revenge/ Kitchen Irish stuff had actually been sort of covered off in the second series of Daredevil, which I stopped watching because I find that character a bit boring (Batman without the toys).

So I've had to go back to finish that first. I do like Bernthal as Frank Castle, though. Mind you, I quite liked the rather strange Thomas Jane too, in the film that certainly did take most of its cues from Ennis and Dillon.

I've seen lots of people talking about it being slow, or dragging in parts, but I suppose it can't always be bloody carnage.

JamesC

Quote from: manwithnoname on 16 January, 2018, 09:09:39 AM
My recent Punisher fix has been via Ennis/ Dillon and The Punisher Max comics, and I really enjoyed what I've read of that run. Started watching the TV series when it dawned on me the family revenge/ Kitchen Irish stuff had actually been sort of covered off in the second series of Daredevil, which I stopped watching because I find that character a bit boring (Batman without the toys).

So I've had to go back to finish that first. I do like Bernthal as Frank Castle, though. Mind you, I quite liked the rather strange Thomas Jane too, in the film that certainly did take most of its cues from Ennis and Dillon.

I've seen lots of people talking about it being slow, or dragging in parts, but I suppose it can't always be bloody carnage.

The Ennis Max run is fantastic - some of my favourite comics ever. The later Jason Aaron run (with Dillon art) is also very good.

gurnard

Yeah I enjoyed it. The first episode is no mark for the rest of the series. I have never read the comics so can't compare to that but as a TV show it was good stuff very entertaining. A bit too much violence for me but not too crazy. Couple of nice plot twists that take you to the end of the series.  I would recommend it if you liked the other Marvel netflix stuff. I enjoyed the Jessica Jones and the Luke Cage so would put it on a par with them.

IndigoPrime

Mrs IP's agreed to continue watching it, and we mulled during episode 2 that, amusingly, the hero – who's basically a functioning psychopath – is far more likeable and interesting than Danny Rand. (Our personal Marvel Netflix ranking is something like JJ > LC > Defenders > DD 1 >>>>>> all the DD 2 bits without DD/MM in >>>>>>>>>>>>> all the other bits of DD 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> several days later >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Idiot Rich Boy And His Glowing Hand.)

Punisher so far would fit in somewhere around the middle (Defendersish), I think. And his wife does have a name! In the subtitles only, natch, but that's something.

manwithnoname

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 January, 2018, 02:45:53 PM
Still a couple of episodes from the end (I'm not one for bingeing!) but I think it's excellent. I'm not sure how much resemblance it bears to Punisher comics in general and [spoiler]he's spent basically zero time in the suit so far[/spoiler] but it's a striking depiction of the damage done to men who serve and a brutal de-romanticisation (is that a word?!) of people we generally refer to as heroes.

It's well-written and surprisingly thought-provoking, with some decent action sequences thrown in and some sly commentary on male friendship.

The Punisher doesn't really have much of a suit, unless a black T-shirt with a big white skull on it counts. I suppose it does. That an a large automatic weapon.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: manwithnoname on 16 January, 2018, 03:22:53 PM

The Punisher doesn't really have much of a suit, unless a black T-shirt with a big white skull on it counts. I suppose it does. That an a large automatic weapon.

Have to say I've been really enjoying the current comic storyline, where he very much does have a suit (but it's War Machine's and he's nicked it and is flying around being proper grumpy Frank in it). Good stuff!

manwithnoname

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 17 January, 2018, 12:05:11 PM
Quote from: manwithnoname on 16 January, 2018, 03:22:53 PM

Have to say I've been really enjoying the current comic storyline, where he very much does have a suit (but it's War Machine's and he's nicked it and is flying around being proper grumpy Frank in it). Good stuff!

Hang on, is War Machine the black Iron Man fella from the films?

A psychopathic murderous Iron Man? Aces!