Main Menu

Prog 2094 - The Order Meet The Edge - Walker

Started by Tjm86, 11 August, 2018, 03:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I like Richardson's art (see lengthy post above). No worries, Trout; I've misconstrued posts here before (and I regret it now).

Tiplodocus

When it comes to trying to understand why phrases such as "like the inside cover of my physics jotter", might be thought of as insulting, I would tend to agree with our Piscine majesty, who , after all construes things for a living.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Frank

This conversation isn't really about the content of prog 2094.

The official guidelines on that most tedious phenomenon, forum drama, request users attempt to resolve differences over PM or email rather than in a thread. We don't need personal disagreements clogging up and derailing threads

If either of you would like to do so, I'd be happy to cooperate.

Geoff

Oh pish!

I haven't read or written as many posts on this forum as others but it's pretty obvious that Frank's posts are firmly tongue in cheek.

That is in addition to being insanely detailed, closely argued and often wildly hyperbolic for comic effect.

The man's clearly a maniac  :o but a highly entertaining one!

Geoff

Oops! With the exception of the post above, which I don't think was tongue in cheek  :D!

I'll say no more!

Trout

Quote from: Frank on 20 August, 2018, 11:21:10 PM

This conversation isn't really about the content of prog 2094.

The official guidelines on that most tedious phenomenon, forum drama, request users attempt to resolve differences over PM or email rather than in a thread. We don't need personal disagreements clogging up and derailing threads

If either of you would like to do so, I'd be happy to cooperate.

Sure, if you feel there's drama, send me a PM. I don't think there is, though. I'm suggesting you consider others' feelings before posting, and your reply is the contention that I shouldn't do it I'm a way that others can see.

Nope. I think I'll speak my mind.  :)

Trout

Apologies. That should be IN a way. Darned autocorrect.

Steven Denton

I think Karl Richardson's Art is the best it's ever been on Mechastopheles, but tend to agree with the intent of Franks post.

The drawings in my school books were awesome! (I also read it as a shorthand for a type of drawing and didn't think it was particularly insulting. I mean it would be harsh in a review but not in a conversation)

TordelBack

Hmmm, it's not like Richardson hasn't drawn heaps of nudie ladies for the Prog before. Outlier was full of them. I think Frank's 'jotter' remark was probably in the context of noting a style of nude which approximates a largely fact-free adolescent fantasy, the 'feminine' version of the thick-necked veiny males with which he populates his strips: it's part of a consistent style, which as Frank notes, he does very well. Increasingly well, in fact - his work has loosened up marvellously since the hyper-dense lines of stuff like Community Officer Joe/Rage Hard or very early Grey Area.

But Frank probably prefers the rosy pillowy curves of a John Burns, the bare feet and oh-so grazeable shoulders of an Ian Gibson, or the cheeky gravity-compliant underwear-dimpled flesh of a Simon Fraser. Although not those of the men themselves.  I assume.  Uhh, where was I?  Projecting, obviously. 

Not every artist draws everything equally to everyone's tastes - I'd take a Burns lady over a Richardson one, but a Richardson genetically-modded multi-limbed alien killing machine over a Burns one any day.  It's okay to say so - but I agree, we all need to be careful how we word criticism when it's public and permanent. 

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

sheridan

Quote from: Steven Denton on 21 August, 2018, 11:59:52 AM
The drawings in my school books were awesome! (I also read it as a shorthand for a type of drawing and didn't think it was particularly insulting. I mean it would be harsh in a review but not in a conversation)

The only drawing I can remember in my school book was that one of Joe Pineapples in an early episode of The Black Hole.

A.Cow

Quote from: sheridan on 21 August, 2018, 04:48:48 PM
Quote from: Steven Denton on 21 August, 2018, 11:59:52 AM
The drawings in my school books were awesome!
The only drawing I can remember in my school book was that one of Joe Pineapples in an early episode of The Black Hole.

My exercise books were full of spaceships and robots.  Come to think of it, that might explain my teenage inability to chat up girls...

Proudhuff

I still have an englishjotter that the teacher 'dissing' my crude drawing inside the cover.... nothing like the dissing I regularly got from the art teacher mind 😒
DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

I've actually read this Prog now as part of my post holiday catch up.

As well as captions to move the plot along in Dredd, which I won't comment on again, the thing that didn't sit well with me was pulling Tek Judge Morrow out of thin air as the man behind the Skeletons' powers, with no investigation what so ever (a quick text panel doesn't count.)

I agree that that last panel is great.

I have got to stop saying The Order is baffling as at this point it is probably down to me not paying enough attention.

The Thiller and Mechastopheles were actual ok, which I was a little surprised at.

Having already read this thread, it was no surprise [spoiler]Kymm and RBF weren't dead, but the reason for it was.[/spoiler] Best thing in the Prog for me.

So overall a pretty good Prog, I thought.