Main Menu

The V.C.'s : The New Adventures.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 31 March, 2003, 07:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

There's been a lot of comments regarding this latest series of V.C.'s saying that it's too bitty, or too episodic. People were expecting a multi-part story like the last series. I felt the same way. But the more I think about it, the more I realise that actually this comment isn't quite right.

Looking back to the last series it's not actually one big story after all. It's a series of single parters with an ongoing narrative, just like this one. Wake gave it a title for the run and described it as a 7 parter (or whatever) in the profiles, but unless I'm mistaken that's his description, not one that's come from Tharg.

As far as I can tell though, the fact that there was a much stronger over-arcing narrative theme blinded us to that. Although it's a series of one parters there's progression from one to another so it seems to be a single story. There were several stories that worked towards a conclusion - such as Smiths return to service and Keege proving his worth.

There has been progression in this series, but it's been subtler, or made up of what seem like much minor incidents. Also it seems like some of the episodes don't contribute to the arc, but define character which doesn't help give the appearance of a driven story. Perhaps when this series is over it'll be more obvious what the 'shape' of the story is. Time will tell. But again there are several strands seeming to knit together. The rival pilot, the dream about Jupe, the alien technology. Plus more on the Polity that were referenced last time around...

I also think that Antony Williams has done as good a job as anyone could at replacing such a fan favourite. It's quite brave to change the style completely but I'd rather that than have someone try to impersonate another artist. As to comments about the brightness of the art I agree with that but I'd rather it was too bright than too dark any day. And maybe some of the computer affects haven't been as effective as others, but again, I'd rather see experiments than safe art.

Anyway, I've enjoyed this arc. The last run was probably the surprise hit of the summer offensive and if this hasn't lived up to our expectaitons I'll still welcome more New Adventures.

Devons Daddy

i enjoyed the new VCs.i have mentioned this before. i felt it captured the essense of the characters in a more mature way. we have grown with the prog i felt he manner of the VCs current arc was highly reflective of this fact. i like to believe in the next few years we see this series returning in such a manner.not to long runs, character studies and ou emotional attachemnt to them increasing. with the final decsion taken in the distant future on the way it should end.

its more soup opera styled and non the less for it.
i think its been outstanding .personally.the whole experience has been both refreshing and without doubt,absorbing.
i for one rate this as one of the finest returns of any character or genre in tooth in many years.

just one more example of the fact. we are in our second golden era.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

almighty mat

Fair play, I'm enjoying VC's too, it's always nice to see a Swansea boy doing good!

Oddboy

Yeah, the previous series might be technically a string of "one-parters" - but it was more like one story with chapter titles.
IIRC Wake titled the collection 'Peace Day' because 'Book II' might be confused with the 2nd part of the Titan reprints of the VCs.

Regardless of the technicalities - last year's series ROCKED whereas this one is barely even rolling.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Trout

"last year's series ROCKED whereas this one is barely even rolling"

Agreed.
I don't have strong feelings against it (apart from the titty episode, which was purile and unfunny, IMO) but I've been less than enthralled with the newest stuff.

It's a shame, because the first new series of the VCs was genuinely exciting.

There's no momentum now.

- Trout

Proudhuff

I'm enjoying this 'soup opera' but I think Heinz should be given a chance...  
DDT did a job on me

Jared Katooie

I agree with the peoples who dont likes it.

Maybe the first book was fragmentary too but the pieces did seem to come together in a smoother fashion.

This may warrant death but i feel Anthony Williams is a very much underestimated artist and I like his style a lot. Except for the big boobies.

Every time I see an oversized boobie I envision Tharg being smothered by it hopefully never to allow it again.

He'd probably like it. Wierdo.

J.

The Monarch

i actually agree with the trout on this i mean what kind of world is it when bloody telguuth is better

Jared Katooie

Actually Dave, I think Telguuth is being written to a (marginally) higher standard, which would account for the quality difference.

Still V.C's does help make the other stories look a lot better when compared.

J Kat.

jamesie

The V.C's: cant get into it at all. That titty episode was absolute shite.all it was short was sinister dexter to show up and it would have  been the complete "crap humour episode" The first run last year got me excited, specially henry flints art, but the latest run has read like filler.i cant see this series going any where. humour in 2000ad has allways been hit n miss, n the V.c's is made worse by the fact that it dosn't seem to know if its a war story or  another "hilarious" dan abnett story. but n way not trying to sound too negative. hope im proved wrong in the end. hopefully  wont be like mark millers robo hunter

Art

God, the tittie epidode was the absolute nadir...

karne

Don't even get me started on the new VC's Vs. old VC's debate...

DavidXBrunt

Soooo...

Old V.C.'s verses New V.C.'s anyone?

Richmond Clements

It seems to me that a lot of people (me included) have been fooled into thinking the last series of the VCs was good, because of the stonkingly good artwork.
Now that Mr. Flint is not taking our breath away, there is time to read the script and realise that it not that great...

On the old/new debate... maybe the same thing was true there, with Cam Kennedy wowing with groovy pictures? I'm not saying this is so, I mention it merely as a debating point (and hopefully to stir iy up a bit).

DavidXBrunt

I think you are basically right there rac.

The fact that it was the 'come-back' story with a clear narrative drive helped as well though.