Main Menu

Aquaman (or, more importantly, a glistening Jason Momoa)

Started by Tiplodocus, 09 October, 2018, 10:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Can't find a thread about this but, considering how many people said they would pay to see a Momoa Aquaman movie after the averageness of Justice League, here is an extended spoilers trailer:

https://youtu.be/0KRQ9zXujwY

Momoa never quite manages to deliver anything that matches his charisma but that shot of the sub being lifted into the sunlight is why we have superhero movies.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

ABCwarBOT

JamesC

It looks so bland. Too much CGI. They've even Used CGI to show a man diving off a pier.
Worst of all the underwater bits don't even look like they're underwater - if they took the CGI fish away you'd think they were in space.

TordelBack

Hard to see how you'd do it without CGI,  short of traditional animation,  or keeping it at a Man From Atlantis scale (pier-divibg aside). And while you're absolutely right about it looking like it's in space rather than underwater,  you'd be left with very limited visibility and reduced visual scope if you were to actually model the deep ocean: which might be a valid stylistic choice,  but clearly not one the DCCU fancied.  We'll see if this pure-fantasy direction pays off.

JamesC

The dive (actually it's a woman, not a man!) at 0:20 could have been an actor doing a dive for real - personally I think it would have looked better.
The gladiator battle at 4:30 is possibly the worst looking bit, with some CGI bubbles the only indication that this is underwater. Surely some thought could have gone into how fighting underwater may actually work/look?

This isn't to say the film won't be fun. I've enjoyed most of the DC films (except Man of Steel) to some extent but they've all looked absolutely terrible in terms of design and effects.

Sinx

I saw this a couple of days ago. A bit meh.

I don't know what it is about Jason Momoa but I just don't warm to him at all. It's like he just a little too self satisfied with himself - which would be fine if he got the kind of comeuppance needed to complete a hero's journey. In fact the only thing I thought he was good in was Bullet to the Head where he played a tough guy villain.
All in all I'd describe it as a CGI bloatfest probably 30 mins too long.

There's a kid in the beginning who I'm sure was Jango Fett's kid in ROTS. Is he a midget because he's not grown an inch since then.  :D

The Legendary Shark

Saw this yesterday. It was okay but no better than that, really. I thought the underwater world looked very good but the story was rather predictably pedestrian and the characters, especially Death by Mau Mau's Aquaman himself, were all a bit bland.

That said, I didn't find that it dragged along at all and my mind didn't wander too much while I was watching it. The only thing I wanted from this film was for it to be better than Suicide Squad - and it was.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mattofthespurs

Been discussed in the 'last movie seen' thread.

Where I thought it was a massive pile of steaming shite (and I am a DC fan who thought that Justice League was decent).

Plenty have disagreed with me, as it their right despite it outing them as morons  ;)

Tiplodocus

Add me to the list of morons. Solidly average... not terrible... not good.

Very pretty to look at (except for the stupid final battle) and seemed to have three movies (and three Arthurs) going on at once.

But I enjoyed it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!