Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningChimera

Age Of Empires 2 HD

It has been years since I last played this. But since it popped up in the most recent steam sale I thought I would give it another go. I forgot just what a brilliant game it is. I started which the tutorial which forces you to play as the Scottish and aid William Wallace in fighting the English (which is a bit naff, I'd much rather be killing him!) It's funny that with all the latest games to play, this is one that I'm spending my time playing. Anyone else have any gaming nostalgia trips to tell of?

CrazyFoxMachine

Age of Empires was my first ever PC game back in the day and I still remember it fondly - as well as the Star Wars version of it... and I suppose the LOTR version of it which I really have been planning to revisit for some time.

Was tempted by AoE II HD but missed it in the sale hmmmm though that has got me thinking...

pictsy

I haven't played these, only just purchased them.  I went back to the second hand retailer to get some more cheap PS2 games.  This time I got Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Dynasty Warrior 5 and Samurai Warriors.  The latter is the only one I am not familiar with.

I have been playing a little more of Metal Gear Solid 2.  Find I keep dying.  The game play is pretty foreign to me and I have to learn how to play the game before I can actually play the game.  The emphasis on stealth is unbelievably unforgiving, but I get the sense once I get to grips with it it will become very rewarding.  The voice acting is a bit laughable, though.  I think I'd have preferred it in the original Japanese - it's got bloody subtitles anyway.

Link Prime

Quote from: pictsy on 07 January, 2014, 02:42:50 PM
I have been playing a little more of Metal Gear Solid 2.  Find I keep dying.  The game play is pretty foreign to me and I have to learn how to play the game before I can actually play the game.  The emphasis on stealth is unbelievably unforgiving, but I get the sense once I get to grips with it it will become very rewarding.  The voice acting is a bit laughable, though.  I think I'd have preferred it in the original Japanese - it's got bloody subtitles anyway.

I thoroughly enjoyed my play-through of MGS2 Pictsy, it is indeed very rewarding, with some inspired boss battles.
Regarding the voice acting- I could go to bed listening to David Hayter reading the phone book out load as a lullaby! Was so relieved when 'Plissken' showed up during the Raidan part of the game.

As an aside- I received this game as a Valentines Day gift in 2002, and my obsessive gameplay thereafter had an ironic role in dooming that relationship!  :D

pictsy

I've played all the games I recently purchased.  Prince of Persia looks like it'll be fantastic fun and so will Splinter Cell once I get into the stealth frame of mind.  Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors 5 are quite different but could prove to be entertaining in the long run.

I have played MGS2 in a few days but intend to once I figure out how to fit it into my routine.  I don't want to end up playing it too much as I have work to do - which I do from home so the temptation is always there.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Skyrim. Still. Since June.
Lock up your spoons!

Link Prime

radiator

I just finished Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - a superb game that has made me fall in love with my 3DSXL. I got every last bit of equipment, all the maiamais and every single heart piece - something I've never done in a Zelda game before.

But what to buy next....?

Bravely Default, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Returns, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time are all in the running, though I'm a bit worried I'll find Ocarina a bit fiddly and unwieldy to play now I've become accustomed to the gloriously streamlined LBW...

Also, has anyone played Liberation Maiden? It looks right up my street, but reviews are a bit mixed.

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 10 January, 2014, 12:40:25 PM
IZelda: Ocarina of Time[/b] are all in the running, though I'm a bit worried I'll find Ocarina a bit fiddly and unwieldy to play now I've become accustomed to the gloriously streamlined LBW...

It actually plays superbly well on the 3DS, and if you're not gonna take my word for it, then forget about it!

Last game played (and currently being played) for me; Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U.
It's absolutely spectacular, taking the best elements from 64, Sunshine, Galaxy and Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS.
IMHO an almost perfect game, although I am finding it a little easy in comparison to some of its aforementioned forerunners (or it could just be cause I'm shit hot  ;)).

radiator

QuoteIt actually plays superbly well on the 3DS

I'm sure it does, but it is a very old game, and I'm worried I might find my patience running a bit thin with it.

I really, really wish Nintendo would get off their arse and make the SNES and Game Boy Advance back catalogues available on the 3DS eshop. It seems like we're inching slightly closer, what with Mario Bros. 3 and some Mega Drive titles becoming available. And yeah, I'm aware of emulators and PSP etc, but I'd really love to be able to play them on my 3DS. I've bought a couple of NES games, but - whisper it - I find NES games a bit rough to play nowadays, as most of them are spitefully hard, and quite ugly.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: radiator on 10 January, 2014, 01:13:46 PM
I really, really wish Nintendo would get off their arse and make the SNES and Game Boy Advance back catalogues available on the 3DS eshop.

Just out of interest, can you buy stuff from the 3DS shop using actual money, or do you have to buy bullshit nintendo points first, like you had to on the wii?
You may quote me on that.

radiator

You have to buy credit, but thankfully it gives you the option to just top your balance with the exact credit needed to purchase what you want - you don't have to buy in blocks of £10 or some such horseshit.

What's annoying is that for some mystifying reason you're not allowed to use 'Nintendo Club Points' to pay for stuff from the 3DS eshop - you can use the points to buy Wii Points cards, but these only work on the Wii, so I wasted a lot of time the other week registering all my games for nothing. It's kind of needlessly confusing and irritating.

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 10 January, 2014, 04:38:56 PM
It's kind of needlessly confusing and irritating.

Quite.

And did you try merging your Nintendo Club and Nintendo eShop accounts?
It takes a level of skill, patience & determination that I fear would turn even Tordelback into a frenzied futsie.

Goaty

Well there's some good games on iPad... just say  :-\

radiator

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 January, 2014, 05:38:36 PM
Quote from: radiator on 10 January, 2014, 04:38:56 PM
It's kind of needlessly confusing and irritating.

Quite.

And did you try merging your Nintendo Club and Nintendo eShop accounts?
It takes a level of skill, patience & determination that I fear would turn even Tordelback into a frenzied futsie.

Ha ha, yeah. Innocently clicked on something the other day and got assaulted by pop-up menus.

I really think Nintendo should hire some new UI and infrastructure people...