Main Menu

New 2000 AD creators blog

Started by AlexF, 23 March, 2015, 11:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

How have I missed this thread so far?  Brilliant stuff.  The Fleisher entry is highly entertaining - Harlem Heroes actually wasn't too bad, in hindsight; but the Rogue stuff and Junker kind of were.

While I have you, Mr Carroll, thanks again for doing the talk for the Hay Festival in my hometown - think you managed to talk my ex-squaxx brother back into the fold, after a regular-reading gap of nearly 30 years!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

AlexF

QuoteI'm not sure I've earned my place yet!

An appearance on my blog is purely an accident of mathematics, not a marker of merit.

....but dude, come ON! You've earned it and then some. And don't stop now!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 04 August, 2016, 09:05:26 AM
QuoteI'm not sure I've earned my place yet!

An appearance on my blog is purely an accident of mathematics, not a marker of merit.

....but dude, come ON! You've earned it and then some. And don't stop now!

I'll say in spades. I've done my homework on time for one sir and as I've said before in the review threads I'm a big fan of the Mike Carroll Dredd. So much so that I'd ignore your clearly logical and sensible decision to dismiss calling Mike Carroll the successor to Mr Wagner and say he could well be. Being handed an epic (I think its called 'Even Empires Tumble... or Every Empires Falls ...summit) is almost like the last test and for me one past in spades...

... okay so there's no sign of Mr Wagner going anywhere soon, but good to know if he did there's a damned good backup plan!

What I'd love to see is Mr Carroll do a new strip, show his sizeable chops on a new series... mind he seems to be kept pretty busy in Mega City One.

AlexF

Following immediately on From Michael Carroll, who else could it be but

PJ Holden...
http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/no-78-pj-holden.html

pauljholden

This is ace but I feel compelled to correct a few things:

1)The awesome Johnny Woo / Dredd page is actually by Patrick Goddard (I did a couple of woo/dredd strips, but this isn't one)
2) First 2000ad work was with Gordon drawing... sino cit (Johnny Woo's first appearance)
3) dredd vs the wolf creature thing is another one of Gordon's.
4) SJS Ishamel, was created by Gordon and me, for a Class of 79 strip at-I think-WR Logan's suggestion. He's since had a couple of appearances in 2000ad (none by me sadly)
5) oh boy all that art makes me wince. I have wronged far more writers with my pictures than I have ever been wronged by writers.

-PJ

AlexF

Ach, I did um and ah over whether I'd put in a Goddard by mistake - mortifying!

I do understand why people wince on seeing their old work, but you've nothing to be ashamed of, sir!

GordonR

I feel compelled to correct something too:

QuoteHe's done a proper chunk of work with the same handful of people, is what I'm getting at. In itself, this paints a picture of a chap that people like to work with, which speaks both to the quality of his work as it does to the man's obvious affability.

No, he's just difficult to shake off, once he attaches himself limpet-like to you.

Which reminds me - I really need to change my phone number and email address.  Again.

Hawkmumbler

Man, what happened to Samizdat Squad? That was a fun strip and it just kinda of vanished, but that's a wonderful write up on our man PJH, AlexF. Loving your blog as ever!

AlexF

Hawkmumbler

Mr. Defoe is very much a favorite of mine. Squarely in the House of Bolland school of art, he's a tremendous talent and following he recent departure from the aforementioned Mills series I look forward to seeing where he ends up next.

AlexF

Back after a brief Sumer holiday, and with another peek mostly behind the scenes of the comic at the publicity department...

It's Igor Goldkind and Michael Molcher
http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/no-80-igor-goldkind-no-80-michael.html

AlexF

Greg M.

Agree that Weston is an awesome artist.

Disagree that Weston wasn't the best match for Nemesis - I wish we'd got a whole book of Nemesis out of him, he'd have been the perfect fit. (Nice to see my page from 'Bride of the Warlock' turning up though.)

Good stuff, as ever.

I, Cosh

Quote from: AlexF on 09 September, 2016, 03:50:54 PM
From the ridiculous to the sublime:
Chris Weston is Hero number 81
http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/no-81-chris-weston.html
"Why are they purple?"
- The clue's in the name of the strip.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: Greg M. on 09 September, 2016, 05:05:58 PM
Disagree that Weston wasn't the best match for Nemesis

God, yes. I can see Alex's point regarding the anthropomorphism of WestoNemesis himself, but then Hicklenton had already essayed an organic Nemesis, made of sensuous, bulging, varicose, and tumescent man meat.

Weston wasn't then a stylist in the manner of O'Neill or Hicklenton, but Mills's unique genius is tailoring his tales to take full advantage of the enthusiasms and strengths of his collaborators. WestoNemesis would have been a more grounded but still gonzo affair, and the strip was in need of a new direction.

Alex fills the hole same hole in me that Douglas Wolk once did.

P.S. That's not how you spell Kurten