Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinKase

Quote from: sheridan on 23 January, 2017, 07:57:14 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 23 January, 2017, 06:32:27 PM
I'd love a 2000ad boardgame of some kind. These things have moved on so much since the 80s, there must be space for one. Even if it was crowd-funded, to gauge support, I'd be well up for it.

Definitely a gap in the market.  I wonder how many people still play Block Mania (I'm going to guess now that Judge Dredd and Rogue Trooper don't have the replayability as Block Mania and Mega Mania).

I was pleasantly surprised to find Block Mania at Gen Con a couple of years back - they played an epic match with 6 blocks involved, was very entertaining.

Recently I dug up the old Rogue Trooper game to introduce it to my new gaming group (me being the Eldster with all these ancient games).

Been working on something of a minor homebrew expansion to add some new cards.  Also reworked the old WD #90 cards so they would look more like the original set (that always bugged me).

If anyone is interested, feel free to check it out on the Board Game Geek page

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just spent a pleasant morning playing Forbidden Island with the kids.

Ideal fun for under 10s. I know it's been mentioned before, but the sheer joy of seeing their excitement when playing something that isn't plugged in warrants a reminder.
Lock up your spoons!

JustinKase

Try The Magic Labyrinth sometime.  My kids (5 & 7) really enjoy the interactive nature of the 'invisible' walls.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: JustinKase on 11 April, 2017, 08:15:38 PM
Try The Magic Labyrinth sometime.  My kids (5 & 7) really enjoy the interactive nature of the 'invisible' walls.

Looks great. But it's £67 on Amazon!!
Lock up your spoons!

JustinKase

Holy heck!

It was only $20 at Target.  Wonder if Target UK has it, or if you can have it shipped to one of them?

The Germany eBay classifieds site also had a bunch at pretty good prices.

von Boom

Keef Monkey

Quote from: von Boom on 04 May, 2017, 08:20:54 PM
There's a The Thing boardgame!

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/the-thing-infection-at-outpost-31-board-game

Yes! The limited edition features artwork by Jock too, this is a very desireable thing to me. Being Mondo, those editions will sell out in seconds and all appear on ebay for twice the price within moments, but I'm definitely going to try for one.

Satanist

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 05 May, 2017, 09:31:37 AM
Quote from: von Boom on 04 May, 2017, 08:20:54 PM
There's a The Thing boardgame!

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/the-thing-infection-at-outpost-31-board-game

Yes! The limited edition features artwork by Jock too, this is a very desireable thing to me. Being Mondo, those editions will sell out in seconds and all appear on ebay for twice the price within moments, but I'm definitely going to try for one.

I just found out this existed and now I MUST have it!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Keef Monkey

There's a board game called Panic Station (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69552/panic-station) that a friend of mine owns which has a lot of very The Thing-inspired mechanics - it's a research base, some people are infected and there's a method of infecting other players which keeps things very secret (whenever you're in a room along with someone you have to trade an inventory card and you can spread the infection that way). We only played it a couple of times, but both times it escalated really quickly into tense paranoia and people attacking and ganging up on other people around the table (who often turned out to be human).

If they take some cues from that game and dress it up in all the licensed trimmings then this could really, really be something special. Can't wait!

Dandontdare

Anyone played Captain Sonar? - reviews suggest it's best with 6-8 players - does it work at all with just 3?

Maybe having a game tomorrow

Dandontdare

Captain Sonar turned out to be an absolute blast - you play in two teams and there are four roles per submarine - Captain plots the course (announcing north, east, south etc), first mate charges the weapons and other bits of kit (each turn gives 1 charge - you decide which bit of equipment to charge and when it's full, it's ready to deploy), the engineer manages damage (each move damages part of the sub and too much damage to one area forces you to surface giving away your position) and the radio operator tries to plot where the other sub is (marking their moves on an acetate which you can then move around the map to discover their course through a process of elimination).

With just a few players,you take on multiple roles and play turn-based, but if you can get 6 or 8 people you can play "real time" (though I think a referee would be needed as it would all get very hectic as each player shouts orders while the radio operators desperately eavesdrop on what the other team are up to).

We played with four and my team lost - we knew exactly where they were and we were one turn away from charging a torpedo which would have sunk them, but they got a lucky shot in. If I hadn't accidentally revealed the position of a mine (and therefore of our sub) earlier in the game, it could've turned out very different - so close!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Oooh! Thing!

Missed that earlier on this thread.

Quite fancy the Fallout boardgame.
Lock up your spoons!

Theblazeuk

Played 2 games of Betrayal at House on the Hill in a row the other night. Definitely the way the game is meant to be played with newer people. Everyone seems to overthink the first game because there's so much stuff that only matters if something particular occurs. But you will be told clearly whenever the time comes, so just play - second game people seem to get it more. Though the spectre of random chance will loom over anyone who say, finds themselves in a basement room far from the stairs when the house suddenly starts flooding... Or when the traitor (me) gets pimped out by supernatural forces and becomes literally unstoppable  by the opposing group of weaklings even before they have summoned an elder god.

Dominic O'Rourke

I've had an idea stuck in my head for the past week, and I can't get over how I can't seem to find a flaw!!

Anyone here play the FFG living card game for Lord of The Rings?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-card-game/

I'm a big fan of the theme, but the idea is that two to four players, play co-operatively against the deck. It's seriouslt well themed, some of the sets follow very closely to the books, others are set in the general universe.

Anyway, I got to thinking how well Dredd would translate to the game. The artwork, and the thought that each box could be set in a 'year' in Mega City and that the bonus decks could explore all the minor characters, the Apes, the Gangs, the Angel gang, the Dark Judges.

The other thing to keep in mind, I've spent nearly £600 and I'm only about half way through the sets!
Member No. 10

sheridan

Has Block War been mentioned on the forum yet?  Hope it doesn't take as long to come out as the Munchkin Apocalpyse Judge Dredd expansion!