Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

As sad as the death of someone so young as Stephen Gately is, it has completely overshadowed the death of someone I feel would be of more interest to Tooth boarders - Barry Letts, producer of Doctor Who in the early 70's. You know, the good stuff, involving Jon Pertwee, and the man he cast as his replacement, Tom Baker. He was 84.
http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2009/barry-letts-passes-away/
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Paul faplad Finch

When the Gately news broke I typed out a long post about how I've always got butterflys whenever I log on to this thread and how it never seems to be people who've had a good innings. Then something went wrong and I lost the lot.

Then this happens. He may have had a 'good innings' by most standards but this is still bloody gutting news. Pertwee remains my favourite Doctor and thats in large part thanks to this man. And he comes over like a proper gent on the dvds.

As for casting Baker, well, we all make mistakes.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Peter Wolf

Quote from: faplad on 12 October, 2009, 06:30:07 PM
When the Gately news broke I typed out a long post about how I've always got butterflys whenever I log on to this thread and how it never seems to be people who've had a good innings. Then something went wrong and I lost the lot.

Then this happens. He may have had a 'good innings' by most standards but this is still bloody gutting news. Pertwee remains my favourite Doctor and thats in large part thanks to this man. And he comes over like a proper gent on the dvds.

Tom Baker was a mistake or bad casting ??

Heresy !!

Bloody subjectivity always gets in the way of berating someone for their tastes or reasoning.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Colin YNWA

Barry Letts was a fantastic influence on Doctor Who and brillant. He cast the best Doctor in Baker (come on Faplad really re-access here). He was always incredibly interesting in interview. Good man.

SuperSurfer

I third that. I reckon Tom Baker was a damn fine Dr Who.

COMMANDO FORCES

Oi!

Stop putting other names on this thread, I thought that [spoiler]Tom Baker [/spoiler]was dead for a second when I scanned down and the name just jumped out at me :(

Paul faplad Finch

Tom Baker comes across in interviews and such as a very likeable and charming man, who obviously had and continues to have a great fondness for the role of The Doctor.  He brought a level of popularity to the show that it had never expeienced before. In all those respects, fair play to the man.

However, and this is purely my opinion, I never rated him in the role. I felt that, his first couple of seasons aside, he made the character difficult to watch. Certainly, I'm only able to sit through many of his episodes by focussing on the positives, like the fact that he had probably the strongest collection of companions in the shows history.

As I say, just my opinion and I'm well aware that I'm in the minority, but I for one breathed a sigh of relief when he went. Sorry.

The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

House of Usher

Quote from: faplad on 12 October, 2009, 07:26:43 PM
I'm well aware that I'm in the minority

Again! Pffft. You're so contrary, you are!  ;)
STRIKE !!!

Mike Gloady

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 12 October, 2009, 06:46:44 PM
Bloody subjectivity always gets in the way of berating someone for their tastes or reasoning.
Peter, you really make me laugh sometimes!  Like just then for example.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: faplad on 12 October, 2009, 06:30:07 PMAs for casting Baker, well, we all make mistakes.

To the Book Tower with faplad!
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Peter Wolf

Everytime i view this thread its never anyone that i actively want to die so it continues to sadden or is met with complete indifference but i rarely if ever have cause to celebrate an entry in this thread.

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: House of Usher on 12 October, 2009, 07:46:12 PM
Quote from: faplad on 12 October, 2009, 07:26:43 PM
I'm well aware that I'm in the minority

Again! Pffft. You're so contrary, you are!  ;)

It's a curse I tell you. The more it happens, the more I'm forced to question my innate superiority over everyone else. Perhaps I'm the one whose wrong.

Nah.

The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

JOE SOAP

First you admit to having a fondness Boyzone then you dis Tom baker as Who, you really are an agent from the John Byrne forum.

Peter Wolf

He must be getting paid for doing this i think.

Its what you call Cointel.Its just obvious that someone  who openly states that they have a fondness for Boyzone and then utters unspeakable things about Tom Baker is suspicious to say the least.

] ;)

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: Garageman on 12 October, 2009, 10:30:37 PM

First you admit to having a fondness Boyzone then you dis Tom baker as Who, you really are an agent from the John Byrne forum.

Come now, there's no need to be like that. :) I'd have been banned from there long ago if the bastards would let me join.

As for dissing Baker, at least I didn't say I liked t'other Baker. Give me that.
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read