Main Menu

New Dredd TV Series

Started by The dude, 14 May, 2017, 11:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The dude

Fellow Dredd heads, I have a question that's been bugging me around this recent announcement of a big budget Dredd TV series. Will this be another reboot of Dredd,  his uniform, Lawmaster, Lawgiver and most importantly the actual design of The Big Meg. Or are we going to see a continuation of the 2012 movie type environment? There is a lot I love about that movie, but the environment was not one of them.

I am hoping that they move in a more futuristic direction, with better Dredd props and city visuals, but keep the utilitarian uniform. However I have a feeling Dredd himself will definitely be recast. It's been over  7 years since Karl Urban actually filmed the role and I don't believe he would still be enthused to commit to a TV SERIES after all this time. Furthermore I think Rebellion would have dropped this as a hint during their announcement as it would be a huge fan selling point to even just intimate Urban's potential interest at maybe reprising his iconic turn as the character. Also, it would seem that this is going to be more of an ensemble piece that would actually limit old stoney faces screen time. Something an actor of Urban's stature might not necessarily find attractive. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

NapalmKev

Quote from: The dude on 14 May, 2017, 11:37:17 AM
Fellow Dredd heads, I have a question that's been bugging me around this recent announcement of a big budget Dredd TV series. Will this be another reboot of Dredd,  his uniform, Lawmaster, Lawgiver and most importantly the actual design of The Big Meg. Or are we going to see a continuation of the 2012 movie type environment?

Who knows?

However I have a feeling Dredd himself will definitely be recast. It's been over  7 years since Karl Urban actually filmed the role and I don't believe he would still be enthused to commit to a TV SERIES after all this time.

Why wouldn't Karl Urban want to commit to a High-Budget (aiming for 0ne million spend per episode) TV series in which he would be the Star?

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Andy Lambert

Far too early to say what direction the series would take, but Karl Urban has championed Dredd's return since the film was made and appears to be very keen to reprise the role. The only real obstacle I can see preventing his involvement is whether he'll be available to commit to a tv series. Hopefully he will be, he was involved in a series not too long ago - "Almost Human" I think it was called.

Steve Green

A number of reasons for/against

He said that after Almost Human he didn't want to commit to another TV series.

It could be that an ensemble series where he guest stars is one way that would allow that.

Even if deals were signed, SDCC is in a couple of months, so rather than stating casting now it might be better to wait and build anticipation.

I'd imagine somewhere between the 2012 film and the comic.

JOE SOAP

It's not been in-development that long so presumably there are no final scripts yet. A pro like Karl Urban would probably prefer to read something before he signs up to a long term obligation.

sheridan

Moderator - can this be merged into the Judge Dredd: Mega-City One thread?

sheridan

However I have a feeling Dredd himself will definitely be recast. It's been over  7 years since Karl Urban actually filmed the role and I don't believe he would still be enthused to commit to a TV SERIES after all this time.

Well, Urban was one of the first to retweet the announcement on Wednesday, so he's obviously still as much of a fan as the rest of us.

QuoteFurthermore I think Rebellion would have dropped this as a hint during their announcement as it would be a huge fan selling point to even just intimate Urban's potential interest at maybe reprising his iconic turn as the character.

It's completely unprofessional for a production company to pretend they've got a big name signed up when they haven't signed contracts yet.  For the very first announcement of a new production company to get caught up in this kind of controversy would sound a death knell before they've even got any backers.  Festivals have similar problems if they announce headline acts who haven't actually signed yet.

The dude

Retweetimg that he's happy that it's being made into a series is a hell of a lot different from
Signing up. If he were to I am sure it would have leaked out pretty damn quick, no matter what another reply said. This industry is more leaky than an incontinent hookers gusset! It is extremely telling that the use of "ensemble" was flagged by the producers. The more I think about it the more I believe this will be another reboot. In a way in I would prefer this as series like Game of Thrones and the forthcoming Altered Carbon can build realistic fantasy worlds which rival the cityscape of the 1995 Dredd. The poster even leans more towards the futurist Mega City of the comics. One last thing, why does one commenter want this tied into another post? My question is separate to some fanboys howling at the moon! So in reply, keep your fecking nose out of it

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The dude on 14 May, 2017, 02:42:40 PM
If he were to I am sure it would have leaked out pretty damn quick, no matter what another reply said. This industry is more leaky than an incontinent hookers gusset! It is extremely telling that the use of "ensemble" was flagged by the producers.

He can't really sign-up to something that isn't currently being cast or close to being fully fleshed-out in writing yet; that doesn't mean he or Rebellion aren't interested in or haven't discussed, informally, his return to the role – in whatever capacity that may be – so if nothing concrete has happened, there's nothing to 'leak'. Just like very, very little leaked that there was much movement on a TV series, and what it was essentially about, until the official announcement. The industry isn't completely porous for every project that exists – especially outside mainstream Hollywood – and it's a haphazard mix of who and what you know in a certain time and place. It seems this really is 'early days' as they implied in the promo video.

There's a fluidity to the situation that impatient questions and answers from us of the great unwashed can't address with accuracy.

The dude

Don't know about you but I just had a bath 😁👍