Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Announcements / Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection
« Last post by Tomontherun94 on 22 May, 2022, 11:10:48 PM »
Next few issues are up on the Hachette site.
124: Brass Sun Vol 2
125: Ro-Busters Vol 1
126: Revere

So no surprises there except Ro-Busters getting at least 2 vols.
Music / Re: Discovered / rediscovered music thread
« Last post by sheridan on 22 May, 2022, 10:58:59 PM »
Spotify has got me listening to music again. But what's the best way to get more "new" stuff out of it? My musical taste stopped evolving about twenty years ago. And only "new" artists I've come to over the last decade are Public Service Broadcasting and Paolo Nutini.

Good call on PSB!

In my experience the best way to get new unknown stuff of Spotify is to compile a playlist for a workout, a friend or some other reason where you might want to specifically dictate the tracks and then Spotify will 'helpfully' start adding tracks to it of it's own violition that it thinks you might like, leading to utter confusion and frustration.

If you're able to access it wherever you're listening, I'd actually suggest Youtube as a great tool for new music. The stuff it's algorithms suggest on the right hand side can lead you down all sorts of rabbit holes of new bands, obscure stuff and things you might otherwise have never heard of.

Yes, I love the similar music suggestions on Spotify, and I love creating Playlists for everything from walking, running etc. Great way to discover new and old songs I've missed out on.

I do the same with youtube music - I've trained both spotify and youtube to suggest the kind of music I might like, and sometimes they present things I've never heard of before.  Many lockdown discoveries have been made this way...
Film & TV / Re: Last movie watched...
« Last post by edgeworthy on 22 May, 2022, 10:24:52 PM »
"Hitch. Hitch? You're alive. I've seen you."
"Oh am I? Thanks Sir."
"NO JOKERS PLEASE."
"Do you think the Welsh can't do better than that, Owen?"
"Well, they've got a very good bass section, mind, but no top tenors that's for sure."
Music / Re: Misheard lyrics
« Last post by Funt Solo on 22 May, 2022, 09:11:59 PM »
UB40 Food For Thought

I heard:

I'm a prima donna, dining in the dusk

They sang:

Ivory Madonna dying in the dust

In either case, I had no idea what they were on about until it was explained to me that it's an anti-war protest song about famines.
Music / Re: Discovered / rediscovered music thread
« Last post by Funt Solo on 22 May, 2022, 09:05:58 PM »
How had I not heard of these afore?

Galaxie 500 - Peel Session 1989
« Last post by Hawkmumbler on 22 May, 2022, 07:08:23 PM »
"Hitch. Hitch? You're alive. I've seen you."
"Oh am I? Thanks Sir."
"NO JOKERS PLEASE."
General / Re: Mega City Book Club - a new podcast about 2000AD books
« Last post by Eamonn Clarke on 22 May, 2022, 03:02:47 PM »

Alan Fisher returns to talk about Jaegir by Gordon Rennie and Simon Coleby, and to discuss stories that expand 2000AD universes.

In your podcatcher or on the website at
https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2022/05/185-jaegir.html
« Last post by The Legendary Shark on 22 May, 2022, 02:42:19 PM »

It is one of my personal favourites, despite modern sensibilities and my general dislike of jingoism it does manage to depict the bravery of both sides.

Books & Comics / Re: Space Bastards Vol 2 on Kickstarter
« Last post by rpwillis on 22 May, 2022, 01:25:48 PM »
They are going to be available at Lawless if you are going or know someone who could pick them up for you.

https://www.facebook.com/roy.sharpton.750
« Last post by paddykafka on 22 May, 2022, 12:55:43 PM »
ZULU

Caught this on 35mm last night and you know what, still a banger. Its almost a miracle such a weirdly out-and-proud anticolonial, antiwar could be made on the British crown no less in its time. Stands the test of time better than most, and the print was lush.

I totally agree with you on this. A truly incredible film indeed. It is also worth noting the immense respect that Chief Buthelezi - who liaised with the producers whilst filming took place - had for Stanley Baker (who did all that he could, to ensure that the native population who worked on the movie were treated fairly and decently).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10