Main Menu

Recommended storage boxes?

Started by Blue Cactus, 31 January, 2022, 03:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Cactus

Hi all, can anyone recommend a decent source of 2000AD-size storage boxes in the uk? It's something I keep thinking about buying but never get round to.

IndigoPrime

sheridan

Anybody got any suggestions for non-cardboard boxes?  I'm looking at the really useful range but not seen what I'm looking for in person (though the catalogue seems to cater for a wide variety of dimensions).

Colin YNWA

If you can based on the space you have go short box rather than long box. They are so much more robust. I move my american comics a lot (those I sell at marts) and I get long boxes as it gives you better use of the table space you get at marts, BUT they feeling the ware of moving them a lot.

I have short boxes for storage in one area of my nerd cave. These get moved more as I filter comics in and out of them and they are all in much better shape still, even though older than the long boxes.

So if space allows go short boxes.

IndigoPrime

2000 AD boxes aren't longboxes. They're just one fixed size, which IIRC are about the length of the shorter US-sized comic boxes.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 31 January, 2022, 05:26:42 PM
2000 AD boxes aren't longboxes. They're just one fixed size, which IIRC are about the length of the shorter US-sized comic boxes.

Perfect then by the sounds.

Blue Cactus

oshii

Another vote for the Incognito ones.  They're the only supplier I've found whose 2000 AD boxes don't have "200AD/MAGAZINES" in large black bold type printed on the front.

Blue Cactus

Quote from: oshii on 31 January, 2022, 07:46:39 PM
Another vote for the Incognito ones.  They're the only supplier I've found whose 2000 AD boxes don't have "200AD/MAGAZINES" in large black bold type printed on the front.

Great, thank you!

RookieNerd

I have about 70+ JD Mega Collection annuals and I brought one plain comic box from Forbidden Planet to try/test it. Then figured I'd need three (to four more as I have loose DC/Marvel graphic novels). I ended up buying Grey Linen Ottoman box for half the price of three comic book boxes and it fits all my 70+ JDMC annuals. It's in the bedroom and it is atheistically pleasing for the wife/myself. Rows of four plain cardboard comic boxes would look a bit on the crappy side. I covered the one box I had with a fake wood finish.

Robin Low

RookeiNerd mentioned Grey Linen Ottoman boxes, so I thought I'd throw this Ottoman from Dunelm in as an option (which may be what RN was referring to):

https://www.dunelm.com/product/foldable-black-ottoman-1000111408?defaultSkuId=30420484

You can often find them in different colours and material options.

I had stacks of Progs and Megs, but I've been gradually transferring the lower ones as they flatten under the weight of those above into these. They're much wider than the comics, so there's a lot of room down the sides if you want to add in specials or annuals. They're also taller than the comics, so there's  some room to lay other stuff on top (like the Meg floppies).

They are sturdy enough to sit on. If you have the room you can make a feature of them - I have five of them arranged long edge to long edge, covered over with a duvet and pillows at one end. I've not tried sleeping on it, but it's more than comfortable enough to lie back and read. With a few more blankets, I think they would make a decent spare bed.

They look to be a much bigger, cheaper and more attractive storage option than comics boxes. However, they don't have handles, so they may be less convenient if you move around a lot.

Regards,

Robin