Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Feeley Good

You can't beat the original covers . Love both of them.. I've got a couple, I will post pics later!

SMUDGE10

Quote from: nicklarr on 08 August, 2012, 07:58:52 PM
I'm really impressed with all the stuff on this thread! Real classic stuff from all the masters to present day.

I can see why you get hooked on these, they're true works of art where you actually can see the depth, lines and details - pieces of eternal enjoyment!

I picked up this Ron Smith page way back for about £30, it's the only original art I own as I've realised it's a good way to spend money fast!  :lol:
(Wish I'd bought some more back then though)

Ron Smith is one of my fave-artists on Dredd, seeing the art up close makes you understand what a master he is. It's a fun page to watch too I think, a little short story on its own  :)

Ron is one of those artists who's work does seem to shine on the original art board. Most art does, but some stuff just seems to reveal a greater ratio of goodness than others when seen in the flesh as opposed to print. Great page.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
― Christopher Hitchens

nicklarr

Went down to the cellar (no not that one) today to clear out a few things since the last move.
Found many great and funny items and went Nostalgia De Luxe!  :lol:

How about this Aaagh! original art catalogue from '97:

Fancy a Ron Smith page for under £30? (a Judge Child or Unamerican Graffiti Ron Smith!)

Ezquerra Apocalypse War pages - need I say more?

So... where's my Proteus...?   ;)  Aaagh!  :lol:

COMMANDO FORCES

I've got some of those and the prices make you cry!
I went to the blokes house years ago and it was very interesting  :o

Colin YNWA

That catalogue must be the most astonishing thing. A whole world of 'if onlys' for so many people. Worst of it is the artist will often have sold their stuff at these sort of low prices and thus don't reap the benefit of their art reaching a value closer to their worth as it is these days.

Spikes

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 18 August, 2012, 08:30:35 PM

Ive heard from other collectors that Ian Senior had THE largest collection of Ron Smith artwork, amongst a whole treasure trove of other 2000ad art, as well. Bought a few bits from Ian over the last couple of years. A decent seller, i think.
Would be nice to read these catalogues - any chance of this being scanned and put up on here/elsewhere nicklarr?

Oh, nice to see a page i now own on one of those fotos. I didnt buy this from Ian, but the person who had it before me, obviously did!

opaque

nicklarr

Quote from: Judge Jack on 18 August, 2012, 09:21:05 PM
Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 18 August, 2012, 08:30:35 PM

Ive heard from other collectors that Ian Senior had THE largest collection of Ron Smith artwork, amongst a whole treasure trove of other 2000ad art, as well. Bought a few bits from Ian over the last couple of years. A decent seller, i think.
Would be nice to read these catalogues - any chance of this being scanned and put up on here/elsewhere nicklarr?

Oh, nice to see a page i now own on one of those fotos. I didnt buy this from Ian, but the person who had it before me, obviously did!

Wow! Good to see that page in its original, I liked that  :)

So what's the story on Aaagh? Is Ian Senior still selling art? Where did he get all this wonderful stuff?

Maybe I can donate the catalogue to the Cellar of Dredd and CF can put it up on the blog, that would be fun!

gronk guy

Nice.

I got those two Apocalypse War pages from Ian back then. He was giving away two free Ace Trucking pages with every purchase. Bought eight or nine pages from him and 16 pages of Ace Trucking for free. Mainly "The Mush Rush". Quality. Wish i had bought more now.

Spikes

Quote from: nicklarr on 19 August, 2012, 12:16:38 PM
Wow! Good to see that page in its original, I liked that  :)
So what's the story on Aaagh? Is Ian Senior still selling art? Where did he get all this wonderful stuff?
Maybe I can donate the catalogue to the Cellar of Dredd and CF can put it up on the blog, that would be fun!

Think Ian bought a lot of his stuff from places like forbidden planet, though he also bought direct from the artists.
When we met to do a deal for my Pin-Boing pages, he told me he had gotten these from Mick himself in the early 90's.
He sold a lot of his remaining pages last year, i think.
Though he said he was keeping some of his favourites pieces for himself. He's just uploaded some very nice 2000ad pieces onto his CAF gallery, though these arent for sale - as yet. He still sells (he has two shops on E-Bay, those Rogue trooper concepts/prelims that Ming bought, were his).

Quote from: gronk guy on 19 August, 2012, 12:39:46 PM
Nice.

I got those two Apocalypse War pages from Ian back then. He was giving away two free Ace Trucking pages with every purchase. Bought eight or nine pages from him and 16 pages of Ace Trucking for free. Mainly "The Mush Rush". Quality. Wish i had bought more now.

Ill bet. 16 pages for nowt - nice!

hippynumber1

Dredd being a c*nt...by Brendan McCarthy!   :lol:

Bubba Zebill

The shoulder pad in panel 1 is on the wrong shoulder.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

hippynumber1

It's a reverse angle shot -we're looking in a mirror!  ;)

Bubba Zebill

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Large48

Ian bought a lot of his stuff from Artists agents, we that's where he cleaned most of Ron out from.

He's still got some nice bits and bobs but not like you think, he's sold most of it now.
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]