Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manwithnoname

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 17 January, 2018, 01:36:03 PM
Hmmm- never got on with Peel myself- he always seemed a little 'too' willing to experiment (Much like Lard over on 6music) but I do like to listen to Lauren Laverne (10am on 6) and I make a point to catch up with the Electric Ladyland show (also on 6) and the various new music shows are normally good there too.

Well, yeah. There was also his obsession with "The Mighty Fall" to contend with, a band with which he was seemingly incapable of having any sense of critical discernment.

Although I'm reading Steve Hanley's book at the moment, and it's pretty funny.

I, Cosh

Quote from: manwithnoname on 17 January, 2018, 01:12:20 PM
I need some suggestions of where I can hear new music.

I don't like radio as a rule, but used to listen to Peel obviously. There's no real alternative around that I can find, apart from maybe Marc Riley on Radio Six, and that's almost always shit.
Tom Ravenscroft on Radio 6 on Friday night. He's a terrible presenter but I never fail to hear at least one new track that interests or even excites me. Maybe not quite as eclectic as his dad but has similarly wide-ranging tastes.
We never really die.

Bolt-01

Oh, my, goodness--

I never made that link till then...

Apestrife

This one https://thewarlocks.bandcamp.com/album/vevey

For me it works perfect as both a best of as well as colossal sounding live album.

manwithnoname

Quote from: I, Cosh on 17 January, 2018, 03:03:28 PM
Quote from: manwithnoname on 17 January, 2018, 01:12:20 PM
I need some suggestions of where I can hear new music.

I don't like radio as a rule, but used to listen to Peel obviously. There's no real alternative around that I can find, apart from maybe Marc Riley on Radio Six, and that's almost always shit.
Tom Ravenscroft on Radio 6 on Friday night. He's a terrible presenter but I never fail to hear at least one new track that interests or even excites me. Maybe not quite as eclectic as his dad but has similarly wide-ranging tastes.

Thanks, will give that a go

K2

Because I'm using it in the novella I'm trying to finish up:

Breathe by Télépopmusik
https://youtu.be/1DTNO0Mwhhg

K2

Keef Monkey

Quote from: K2 on 26 February, 2018, 07:40:01 PM
Because I'm using it in the novella I'm trying to finish up:

Breathe by Télépopmusik
https://youtu.be/1DTNO0Mwhhg

K2

Oh man, that takes me back! Saw them as support at a Lamb gig years and years ago and never really followed up on them. That track has brought it flooding back though. And reminded me that I really loved Lamb.

NapalmKev

Coded Smears and more uncommon slurs - by legendary noise merchants, Napalm Death.

31 tracks over 2 discs, this album is all about the more obscure songs from their recent history.

Album highlights: Omnipresent Knife in your Back, Phonetics of the Stupefied, Lifeline, To go off and things.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Tiplodocus

Managed to high five Clint Boon at the Manchester Great Run yesterday. (I was doing the 10k. It was hot!)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 21 May, 2018, 05:51:30 PM
Managed to high five Clint Boon at the Manchester Great Run yesterday. (I was doing the 10k. It was hot!)

Ha! That's cool.

Anyway I've dicovered Goat Girl after seeing them live the other day. Their album is great.

abelardsnazz

ELO. Love Jeff Lynne's orchestral harmonics. Or should that be harmonic orchestrals?

DrRocka

No one cares about your creative hub so get yer fuckin' hedge cut - Half Man Half Biscuit - brilliant, wry, hilarious, and on at least one song, heartbreakingly lovely. Got it on vinyl from my boss for my birthday, which just shows I'm working for the right guy.

Changing colours - The Sheepdogs - like every single classic rock band you've ever heard blended into one. Tons of Allman Brothers/Hendrix/Santana/Byrds type sounds. This really is bloody GREAT. Had to settle for the cd version, as HMV were after £25 for the vinyl!
Never ever bloody anything ever

Crom

Professor Bear

Black Sabbath: Paranoid - LOL I have no idea what to say about this that hasn't been said a million times already by far more informed and nuanced voices than mine.  An album about drugs and Satan (I think Satan is a euphemism for drugs), made when the lads had arrived on the rock scene and had access to lots of drugs.  Which they then took.
They're not very good at this Satan stuff, are Black Sabbath, because rather than singing about how great the Devil is, mostly they seem to be delivering cautionary tales about the downfalls awaiting those touched by the black arts, particularly those meeting Satan with a nose full of blow and hallucinating jocular swine and DANG these are some top tunes.  I'm just not sure how heavy metal came about from all this as, if anything, it sounds like heavy blues, especially the hooks in Fairies Wear Boots, and my favorite Sabbath cuts (It's Alright and Never Say Die from when the band were falling to bits because of drugs and booze) don't really sound much like metal tracks, despite my getting into the band during my metal phase (currently in its 29th year and counting).
Great stuff, but basically easy listening by today's standards.

SOLO: The Original Soundtrack - apart from the unwelcome French synth stylings of Chicken In The Pot, John Powell (after John Williams) delivers an excellent score reminiscent of the work of Erich Wolfgang Korngold, though I don't recall noticing the disparity between the navel swashbuckling themes and the space cowboy aesthetic in the cinema.  There's also a hint of Geinoh Yamashirogumi's Akira score in tracks like L3 & Millennium Falcon and Mauraders Arrive, making me think Powell is primarily channeling more contemporary influences like John Debney, and he delivers the most distinctive Star Wars score since Williams' work on The Force Awakens.