Main Menu

Lack of love for the bundled "floppies"?

Started by sheldipez, 18 December, 2012, 12:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_ellis

Not sure Kelly or universal soldier would show Brett at his finest. I'd rather see a collection of his Dredd short stories.

Zenith 666

Floppies tend to be for unpublished works that's why I mentioned them and I think universal soldier was great.

Zenith 666

Unpublished ? I should have said never reprinted.

sheridan

Or at least rarely reprinted - looks like the current story did get a showing in a Fleetway / Quality reprint about twenty years ago...

SmallBlueThing

So,  two Harlem Heroes volumes but no Finn book two or Bonjo From Beyond The Stars/ Dash Decent? 

Do I hear green,  drunken-on-polystyrene cackling and see the shadow of alien fingers flicking Vs? 

SBT

hippynumber1

Quote from: Zenith 666 on 21 February, 2015, 05:13:54 PM
Universal soldier and Kelly's eye for Brett seeing as neither have been reprinted.

I believe there was a copyright issue with Kelly's Eye in that Fleetway (or whoever owned our beloved Prog at the time) thought they owned rights to the character but didn't! Oops!  :-\

The Enigmatic Dr X

As posted elsewhere, I really enjoyed the HH reboot at the time. And, on re-reading it in the floppy, I really enjoyed it all over again.
Lock up your spoons!

Colin Zeal

My copy of the HH floppy has already been chucked in a box unread. I enjoyed the artwork in the story but my real problem with it was how long it dragged on for. It could easily have been done in about half the time but seemed to go on interminably.

sheridan

Although I have it in boxes somewhere, the current return of pre-Apocalypse War Orlok in the pages of 2000AD could be complimented by a re-print of The Inspectre...

staticgirl

I am one of the few that likes the Harlem Heroes reprint. It dates back to my earliest times reading 2000AD, I think I started partway through the HH story and Steve and Kev's art had a big influence on me at the time.

I also liked the Black Siddha reprint more than expected. I thought it would be a bit like when the ABC Warriors developed an interest in Khaos Magic and started faffing about a bit but Black Siddha had lots of jokes in it.

sheridan

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 22 February, 2015, 12:33:48 PM
So,  two Harlem Heroes volumes but no Finn book two or Bonjo From Beyond The Stars/ Dash Decent? 

Do I hear green,  drunken-on-polystyrene cackling and see the shadow of alien fingers flicking Vs? 

SBT

I liked Dash Decent (Bonjo not so much) - bung those two in a collection, put in a few of the other pre-520 one-pagers (has Sooner or Later been reprinted?)...

BPP

Quote from: sheridan on 20 April, 2015, 05:44:02 PM

I liked Dash Decent (Bonjo not so much) - bung those two in a collection, put in a few of the other pre-520 one-pagers (has Sooner or Later been reprinted?)...

It's in The Best of Milligan & McCarthy.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

JudgeOiNK!

Quote from: staticgirl on 18 April, 2015, 03:41:22 PM
I am one of the few that likes the Harlem Heroes reprint. It dates back to my earliest times reading 2000AD, I think I started partway through the HH story and Steve and Kev's art had a big influence on me at the time.

I also liked the Black Siddha reprint more than expected. I thought it would be a bit like when the ABC Warriors developed an interest in Khaos Magic and started faffing about a bit but Black Siddha had lots of jokes in it.

Black Siddha didn't really grip me but I was really enjoying the Harlem Heroes.  I'd read the first few chapters of the original in the Best of 2000 AD book recently so was intrigued by a "reboot" as it was described.  This turned to horror when it seemed it was in name only.  But then I found out really it was a sequel in a way, it wasn't trying to reboot it at all, these were new characters using the same name in the same universe as the originals, and I really enjoyed it.  Though it is a bit annoying to have got two full floppies and now just a few chapters a month.  Couldn't we have had a third volume to finish it all off neatly?
Blog - http://the-oink-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Twitter - @PhilEdBoyce

glassstanley

Would have been nice to have had these last HH chapters in one volume. Great choice for this month's floppy and really pleased to see Finn Book Two is due next month. Lot of love for the floppy from me :)

The Monarch

Harlem heroes is like herpes...its spreading to good floppies