Main Menu

1508 - Back In Black

Started by thinky, 02 October, 2006, 10:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Good prog, made great by the very moving tribute piece.  How fabulous was it to see McMahon doing Slaine again!  I was also struck by how good Steve Pugh's Feral looked, bit of a wasted strip that.  Donations a-plenty, I hope.

Elsewhere, Dredd was odd but lovely looking - blimey but Joe's a bit conflicted these days.  And no, Head Biker Bloke is definitely not dead.  Surely Dredd should have sent the H-Wagon after the gang?

Chiaroscuro is gripping, best strip for me this week.  

Sin Dex is back, ah well.  I loved Malone, but I just can't warm to the parent strip, despite always enjoying Dabnett's relentless punning.  I suppose I just can't handle the swing between  amoral ultra-violence played for laughs and character-based pathos.  I'd feel the same way about Dredd if the strip alternated on a weekly basis between a Hicklenton-drawn Heavy Metal Dredd and Tale of the Dead Man.  

Battlestar Gala...err, The '86ers was actually good.  Buckets of visual dynamism in what could have been a talking-heads fest.  Love the design of the Nu-Boat.

The Future Shock was nicely drawn and well told, and I still love seeing strip on the back cover - makes me feel I'm getting my money's worth!

nick-is-at-home

We dont know what happened between Sini/Dex being walking skeletons and Sinister turning into Malone. That's going to be an intresting story, as well as that boy.. kyle is that his name was also introduced into their world recently so at the moment Sinster Dexter is one of my favourite parts of the prog because of the whole story arc. No other character seems to do that in 2000AD Downside? THAT BLOODY ART!

Carlsborg Expert

I've just looked at the cover and thought;
" Bring back trapper hag.

Trapper Hag should have his own series, giving him the same cover compesition as that."

DavidXBrunt

Kal Cutter is the professional name of the huy you're talking about Nick. The meeting between him and the boys is as anspect of the story I'm really looking forwards to.

Goaty

Carlsborg Expert

Thrilling is it not?

Finnigan and Kal facing toe to toe.

Kal is too emotional; he should get a good kicking for his part in Dexter's death.

Btw I like Dexter's headstone. Nice touch. It was missing the Fony.

W. R. Logan

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/rico2074/TOM-1.jpg">

Goaty

only different is image of Dredd??

and Cutter not part for Dexter's death, it was himself, for shooting the cop... but it was his girlfriend fault...

+rufus+

That was a temporary Dredd image I dropped in while I was  assembling it, Jock then kindly drew the final version of Dredd.

As I received the art contributions piece by piece, I had to constantly rejig the composition.... all part of the hundreds of hours of fun...

:-)

House of Usher

I like Gary Leach's VC Trooper Smith best.
STRIKE !!!

Trout

My favourite bit was the return of the 2000ad staff droids.

I'd like to see them in a Tharg strip again, preferably taking on the Dictators of Zrag!

But what an image that tribute is.

- Trout

radiator

Excellent to see Jamie Hewlett in the prog again, even if its just a small cameo like the one here.

Jared Katooie

I love the fact that Winwood & Cord are "speechless" without Tom. A nice idea.

Great prog.

Jim_Campbell

"I love the fact that Winwood & Cord are "speechless" without Tom. A nice idea."

A concept re-deployed (both honourably, and entirely appropriately) from Warner Bros' tribute to Mel Blanc. A version of the image below originally appeared as a double page spread in 'Variety', accompanied by the word "Speechless" and the dates for Mel Blanc's life.

Cheers!

Jimhttp://www.fascinationst.com/productImages/4-CC1237-Speechless-Deluxe.jpg">
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.