RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: von Boom on 08 June, 2020, 11:59:23 PM
Quote from: DeadBeat on 08 June, 2020, 10:55:43 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 05 June, 2020, 08:49:29 AM
Joey Image, 63, drummer of the Misfits.

Joey was a good personal friend of mine. We spent a lot of time raising money for his treatment the last couple of years, but, he was on a steep slope.
I don't know how I missed this. I was a big fan of the Misfits. Condolences on your loss.

I missed that too. Really sorry to hear it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

The deservedly legendary Denny O'Neil, aged 81.  That we still have a comics industry is likely the best example of his influence as a writer and editor in the 1970s and 1980s.

Colin YNWA

Just seen reports that Denny O'Neil has passed away as Professor Bear has said. One of the true legends of US comics.

CalHab

His Green Lantern/Green Arrow comics were revolutionary for the time. Sad news.

Greg M.

Sad to hear about Denny O'Neil - an absolute giant of the industry. His Batman was the best Batman. (If I'm honest, his Bruce is about the only take on the character I've ever enjoyed.)

IAMTHESYSTEM

Wretched news about Denny O'Neil, who's work on Batman will entertain generations to come. His sad passing at this grim time seems to sum up the dire straits the Comic book industry is in at the moment.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professor Bear on 12 June, 2020, 05:36:18 PM
The deservedly legendary Denny O'Neil, aged 81.  That we still have a comics industry is likely the best example of his influence as a writer and editor in the 1970s and 1980s.

The sadly also departed Len Wein and Denny O'Neil exert such a huge influence over modern comics to this day. O'Neil revitalised Batman and then as editor oversaw Year One and DKR, Wein ushered in the classic era of Uncanny X-Men and then as editor of Moore's Swamp Thing run (which also saw the rise of Karen Berger's star) and Watchmen. Comics would look very different without their contributions.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

I'm not too well-versed on the American comics scene, but Denny O'Neil is a name that I've heard time and time again in terms of revitalising DC. Sorry to hear of his passing.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

rogue69

Singer Ricky Valance aged 84 best known for the song Tell Laura I Love Her

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53026822#

Robin Low

I wasn't sure where to put this, but it seems kind of relevant here...

Obviously, Eric Morecambe sadly died too many years ago, but I've just had this come up on my YouTube feed. I've never to my recollection seen it before. It's an extraordinarily good interview, both from the interviewer (John Stapleton) and interviewee (Wise), on the morning of Eric's death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIymKijxO6s

Regards,

Robin

rogue69

Willie Thorne: Snooker legend aged 66

rogue69

Dame Vera Lynn aged 103

sheridan

Not the obituary, but there's a link to it BBC News.

Seem to recall there's a plaque to her around the corner from where I live, so presumable she used to live there...

TordelBack

I know that in much later life she irritated some here by rowing in against IndyRef and generally getting wrapped up in visions of Empire, but I always remember that she sued the BNP for using her songs, songs originally intended to sustain resistance to the ugliest fascism.

And yet before the day is out I fully expect to see her passing co-opted by Johnson and his coterie of rapacious f*cks into some twisted Brexit narrative. RIP.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 June, 2020, 12:28:57 PMgenerally getting wrapped up in visions of Empire,

We've had one or two board members like that, and they didn't have the excuse of actually remembering the Empire.