Main Menu

ABC Warriors Mek Files 1 – out 8th May

Started by Bat King, 22 April, 2014, 01:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Bissler on 07 June, 2014, 07:56:03 PM
Just read the Meknificent Seven, really good fun although I felt it ended a little abruptly.

It does, but there's a reason for that. Meknificent Seven was supposed to be a two-hander between McMahon and O'Neill, Pat's prefered choices for the strip; increasingly annoyed by the artistic hodge-podge he actually got, he eventually just stopped writing it.

Quote from: The Bissler on 07 June, 2014, 07:56:03 PMWas very happy with how the situation with [spoiler]the Mess[/spoiler] worked out, very nice touch.  Although other than that, I didn't quite see the point of the character, it barely featured.

Yeah... for all intents and purposes, they're really only six Warriors during that first adventure. A molten-metal 'robot' is a great example of a typically Pat Mills out-of-the-box idea, but he must have found fairly quickly that it doesn't offer too many story oppurtunities - epsecially when it doesn't even speak!
@jamesfeistdraws

The Bissler

Ha!  One could say he got himself in a bit of a "Mess" there!

...I'll get my coat.

That is a shame that it was abandoned after so much work though.  A few more extra episodes might have saved that but I understand why he may have been frustrated.  That said, I enjoyed all the work the artists put into it.  Kevin O'Neil's painted panels were the best of the colour spreads though.

WhizzBang

I just got this and am reading it now. As has already been pointed out, it looks marvellous.

I am finding it odd reading it now as an adult though. I think that when I read it as a teenager I sympathised with the ABC warriors and Hammerstein in particular but now I find myself of the same mind as all the humans who dismiss them as merely worthless robots.

The way the humans treat the robots used to seem terrible (e.g. the way that the generals behave when overseeing the fighting at the beginning, the feeble war memorial for the robots) but my lack of sympathy now makes me think I am not getting the same kick out of the strip I once did.

I still am enjoying it though, don't get me wrong, just wondered if anyone else is now less sympathetic to the plight of these war machines than they previously were.