Main Menu

Thought Bubble 2018

Started by flip-r mk2, 04 December, 2017, 02:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Was going. Now not. First train cancelled due to industrial action. Alternative train running late so I wouldn't make the connecting one... I'm not spending half the day just trying to get to bloody Leeds. Have gone home in a fairly profound huff.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Northern Rail by any chance, Jim?

Bolt-01

TB 2018 train of thought post, so apologies if I miss anything significant or indeed get stuff backwards.

FQP were in the originals marquee this year, not the big comixology one. After a few concerns about being in a different part of the show I just got on with setting up and seeing who was nearby.

I was delighted to be next to Conor & Liz off of Disconnected press. Conor had a pile of Hookjaw pages with him and it was a delight to see such a talented artist working.

I got to see three of the sets of pages for the art comp this year- and the artists of two of which were definitely good enough to get SP work from me. The ultimate winner was, from my memory, not an artist I've met- so I've lost my run of successful droid conversions.

I was chuffed to bits to get to meet the winner of the pitchfest- especially as he's got a strip in the latest something Wicked (Though he was first published in the Psychedelic Journal- grand work CFM)

I did get to see work from Sinx- and he was delightful company at the mid-con party, joining myself and Dunk for a few beers.

Unfortunately there were far too many boarders that didn't make it- though it was grand to catch up with Fillippo, SKD (who brought with him the line work for a Dogbreath cover he's working on), Judge Burdis, Hawkmumbler, Steven Austin, Paul Williams and so many contributors that my feeble mind can no longer individualise them. There were quite a few surprise absences as well- Pete Wells in particular, I can't remember the last time I didn't see him at TB. I even spotted Molch-R once or twice, though never at the right time to chat.

I did manage brief chats with both D'israeli and Frazer Irving, both lovely gentlemen.

Both days were grand, with the Sunday being considerably busier than I expected and as usual I never got to explore the event anything like as much as I would.

I was asked to provide art on a sketch cover for a Punisher comic- which was daunting- as anyone who's seen me work knows I'm used to being able to redraw as much as I like- having a single chance to get this right was a bit of and EEK! There is a photo of the finished piece on my Instagram- that you can see on the FQP Blog.

Two surprises came right at the end of the Sunday; both of which were due to Nano bolt being on team Redshirt. The first was getting to see American artist Brian Stelfreeze stay for almost an hour after closing to complete a commission for a visitor. A stunning, full colour rendition of Dagger, from Cloak and..., was the work in question and Brian was happy to work to the crowd. The second came after helping team redshirt with the incredible task of cleaning up ready for the marquee's being dismantled... I was given a redshirt of my own and invited to join them for the team meal.

As an exhibitor who has long admired the team of volunteers who give up their weekend to look after us all, this was a real moment.

If anyone reading this has not been to Thought Bubble- fix that next year. It really is the best gig in the country.

Sinx

Thanks to Bolt-01 for describing me as "delightful company" and not billy-no-mates desperate for drinking buddies which I actually was.

Fungus

Best gig indeed. Need to make a point of getting back there in '19. No excuses!