Main Menu

Promised I'd start reading in 2012

Started by sheldipez, 21 September, 2012, 08:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheldipez

And been waiting for the stories to start from fresh so prog 180 was as good as any time.

I actually wasted to reply to prog 1801 thread but for some reason it wont let me. Anyway I was just concerned to know if the digitised Dredd comic of 1801 was intended or if that regular occurrence. Glad to hear it wasn't!

Looking forward to 1802!
-Shel

TordelBack

Welcome, Sheldipez, hope you're enjoying matters.

I'm always fascinated by the notion of the all-new jumping-on prog, never having experienced it myself.  I started regular buying with Prog 309, lured in by the Bellardinelli wrap-around cover of an exploding space-going paddle steamer, and which featured the (I think) second-last episode of Fort Neuro and the second episode of Invasion of the Thrill-Snatchers, but did have the first part of the a-typical Dredd adventure in maternity, The Starborn Thing, and (I think) an Alan Moore Future Shock. 

The concept of back-issue availability didn't even occur, I was stuck in media res until I met a fellow squaxx who had been sensible enough to have started a year before me.

As a result the Prog has always had that reassuring clinker-built feel for me, with one strake overlapping the next, and another starting halfway along the first.

There were however consequences.  Skizz was my automatic favourite of the 309 line-up, and appeared to be starting its ET++ schtick then and there.  I happily read and loved and re-read the whole series, secure in the knowledge that I knew all there was to know about the Tau-Ceti Imperium and Alfred Hitchcock's birthday.  It was my 2000AD series, the only one that was self-contained and that I knew from beginning to end. 

Imagine my shock on discovering, a year or so later, that Skizz had actually started in Prog 308.

AlpineNewt

Same here. I'd been wanting to jump back into the prog for a while now as it's been over ten years since I've been a regular reader. 1800 was perfect for me. Had to go digital though as I can't find anywhere that stocks it locally.

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 September, 2012, 08:42:41 AM
Welcome, Sheldipez, hope you're enjoying matters.

There were however consequences.  Skizz was my automatic favourite of the 309 line-up, and appeared to be starting its ET++ schtick then and there.  I happily read and loved and re-read the whole series, secure in the knowledge that I knew all there was to know about the Tau-Ceti Imperium and Alfred Hitchcock's birthday.  It was my 2000AD series, the only one that was self-contained and that I knew from beginning to end. 

Imagine my shock on discovering, a year or so later, that Skizz had actually started in Prog 308.

I just dug out Skizz II from my graphic novel horde and am trying to work out why it never occured to me to track down the first one!