Main Menu

Moffat replacing RTD on new Who

Started by davidbishop, 20 May, 2008, 04:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidbishop

Steven Moffat will replace Russell T Davies as showrunner on Doctor Who for the fifth series, due for broadcast in 201o - that is all...

Matt Timson

Pffft...

paulvonscott

Ha, despite getting a telphone call alert of the news, I spent too long thinking of my response :)

Damn you Bishop!

Dunk!

"Trust we"

opaque

Theres not going to be a full DR Who series next year, only 4 specials so 2009 doesn't really count.
Personally I'll be happy to lose the gay storylines forced into every story, it was getting as bad as the token black doctor or indian family in a soap opera.

satchmo

Steven Moffat is the best candidate to replace him, I can't wait for his two parter this series!
He has an unfortunate belief that James Nesbitt is good, though... :)
I wish Russell well in his future endeavours. Whatever you might think of him he managed what I thought for years would never happen, the return of Doctor Who! As a family show on saturday teatime! And millions of people fucking LOVE IT. Thanks to him it's a national treasure again, which will probably be on our screens for decades. Changing and regenerating with each new team. You might like the next one, or the one after that.
I've had my ups and downs with it, I thought series 2 was quite weak, but series 1 is one of my favourite TV shows ever. Being wankered in the pizza shop on a saturday night and seeing normal people talking about Doctor Who is an experience I won't forget in a hurry :)

Grud bless ya RTD.

dweezil2

"He has an unfortunate belief that James Nesbitt is good, though... :)"

Can't they just get Paul McGann back and forget that "Movie" ever happened?

RTD has had a lot of flak, often justifiably, but lets not forget, without him lobbying for Who's return, it's doubtful it would have ever happened.
Good move with Moffat though. He's an excellent writer and hopefully will inject some darkness into his run of Who. The time is right for some fresh blood.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Well done RTD I say, he manged to make it successful so lets hope a bit more life will be added now.

paulvonscott

"Can't they just get Paul McGann back"

I'd love to see Paul McGann back, even if just for a two doctors type thing.  I think he's a great actor and did very well in the roll.

The Adventurer

Can't they just get Paul McGann back and forget that "Movie" ever happened?

No, as we saw McGann's face in the Doctor's Diary in Human Nature.

Mardroid

No, as we saw McGann's face in the Doctor's Diary in Human Nature.

That's interesting, I didn't notice that (which isn't saying much).

It would still be possible to bring him back though what with the time travel etc. Also, I wonder if they would go back and do the Time war at some point.

The Adventurer

I'd pay good money for a Time War mini-series staring McGann and Eccleston.

Link: http://www.shipsinker.com/wordpress/2007/03/10/a-doctor-who-comic-the-10-doctors/" target="_blank">Granted I can live with the fan version too, becau

IndigoPrime

"I'd pay good money for a Time War mini-series staring McGann and Eccleston."

I was thinking the same. In fact, rather than these four 'specials', it would have been great to have Tennant 'bookend' a McGann series, perhaps finally revealing to someone how the time-war happened, and how it ended. You wouldn't even need Eccleston, because you could return to the present during the regeneration.

Dark Jimbo

I'm going to be interested to see how they handle the last few regenerations. It was established yonks ago that Time Lords get twelve regens and that's your lot; and whoever replaces Tennant will be the eleventh...

Actually, I already know how they'll handle it. Some meaningless, gushy technobabble about the power of belief and the will to live overcoming any limitations. (That's your cue to PROVE ME WRONG, Moffat! :-))
@jamesfeistdraws