Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills

Started by radiator, 15 December, 2008, 12:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the styrofoam kid

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 September, 2009, 01:33:39 PM
With the Sláine book, it's unlikely anything's been paginated yet. If someone wanted to provide a guide for Rebellion regarding how the complete story would look, in chronological order, I'm sure they'd appreciate it and, if possible, might change the flat-plan accordingly. Note, though, that the GNs have changed hands—Keith's doing them now and Jon's moved over to Abaddon full-time.

Well, if the stated book length of 170 pages is right, then I think it should look something like this (with thanks to Barney and Touched by the hand of tharg):

Slaine the High King, 1992 Yearbook (Sep. 1991). Story by Mills, art by Glenn Fabry. 9 pages

The Jealousy of Niamh, 2 episodes, progs 850-851 (Sept. 1993). Story by Mills, art by Greg Staples & Nick Percival. 12 pages

Demon Killer, 8 episodes, progs 852-859 (Sept. to Oct. 1993). Story by Mills, art by Glenn Fabry (pts 1-7) and Dermot Power (pt 8). 48 pages

The Return of the High King, Slaine Poster Prog #1. Story by Mills, art by Dermot Power. 6 pages

The Queen of Witches, 8 episodes, progs 889-896 (May to July 1994). Story by Mills, art by Power. 48 pages

The Name of the Sword, 7 episodes, progs 950-956 (July to Sept. 1995). Story by Mills, art by Greg Staples. 43 pages

But I'm not digging out the progs to check!  Does that seem right to people?  TS?

Mike Gloady

All i would say to that, styrofoam kid (great name by the way) is that the story "Return of  The High King" while originally published before "The Queen of Witches" is set AFTER it.

That lineup would also break  up the Robin Hood storyline across two books? Unless i'm wrong, obviously.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

SmallBlueThing

Would this be a good time for the trades to feature The Battle of Clontarf? I think it would! And what about the story from the Poster Prog?

SBT

TordelBack

Another vote for Bellardinelli's Battle of Clontarf here!  It even fits the theme, as Sláine's first time 'mission'. 

BTW, Styrofoam kid, who's the hot chick in the middle of your icon?  Yum!

(Crosses fingers that it's not Styrofoam's underage daughter...)

the styrofoam kid

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 September, 2009, 05:35:36 PM
Another vote for Bellardinelli's Battle of Clontarf here!  It even fits the theme, as Sláine's first time 'mission'. 

BTW, Styrofoam kid, who's the hot chick in the middle of your icon?  Yum!

(Crosses fingers that it's not Styrofoam's underage daughter...)

Yes, I forgot about battle of clontarf - that would be good (although I'm doubtful about it's chances of inclusion, to be honest).

Mike - my ailing memory isn't sure if it splits the robin hood stuff.  Just went with everything post Horned God until I got close to the 170 pages listed on the forthcoming books site.  If they dropped a couple of the less continuity specific stuff like the poster prog etc then they could work in the next storyline from the prog.  Or they could just extend the page count, cos I'd like an uncut Slaine if poss.

Tordelback - hands off the harem  8)

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: the styrofoam kid on 20 September, 2009, 06:22:30 PM
Tordelback - hands off the harem  8)

Ooo-er Stevie's never heard it called that before  :o
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

IndigoPrime

Page counts are typically approximate at this stage, and things can change (although more pages bumps up the price, which has happened with the Anderson collection).

ThryllSeekyr

Quoting LittleBlueThing......

I'll also assume it'll be missing a page, one page will be printed twice, one page will be printed backwards and some speech balloons will be missing from a few of the episodes- just so I won't be too cross when it actually happens.

End of Quote

Can anybody finish this line from the first hardback book Slaine, Book Of Invasions.....

PRIVEY PARTS!

DUNG BAGS!

The rest of what Slaine is yelling as he salmon leap attacks at a Atlantean Warrior. I hope the orignal wording is back in there with the next reprint when it comes.

Quoting Robin Low

With the exception of the rather goregeous Glenn Fabry Yearbook story (when Slaine finally goes into the earth),

End of quote

Oh which one is that?

With the 1992 Yearbook right in front of me. That has the Triple Death  story.  It's clearly not Slaine being murdered in that one.

The story you speaking of must have been one I missed altogether. Unless it's been sitting underneath my nose all along.

Quoting Radiator....

Yep, this will be Gallagher's first published Dredd strip. According to the interview he did on the ECBT2000AD podcast, he is using Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino as reference for his Dredd, which sounds very cool. One thing I love about Dredd is seeing all the different artist's interpretations of him.

End of Quote.

I'm glad somebody agrees with me on what I said about Clint Easwood's latest character protrayal in 'Gran Torino." I thought he was doing a impersonation of Judge Dredd. myself.

Quoting Indigo Prime....

With the Sláine book, it's unlikely anything's been paginated yet. If someone wanted to provide a guide for Rebellion regarding how the complete story would look, in chronological order, I'm sure they'd appreciate it and, if possible, might change the flat-plan accordingly. Note, though, that the GNs have changed hands—Keith's doing them now and Jon's moved over to Abaddon full-time.

A complete run of Slaine all in one book would be very wide. Too big for just one book.

Are you actulley asking how somebody else would do this themselves for the publication.

There was topic I started --back in March-- "Charting the Chronology of Slaine"....

http://2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,24624.msg423981.html#msg423981

It's rather verbose and lengthy to read. So, in summary I was really just trying to place exactly where the Slaine Diceman stories and that Martech Game as they occur with the rest of the Slaine continuety.

It's easier if you actualley broug those when they were origianlly published.

{b]Referring back to your post....[/b]

Are they titles --the name of each and every Slaine Chronicle and one prog stories--- that you are after or do you want a summary of the entire story from Time-Monster onwards to the end of Gong Beater?

They have been listed in the Slaine Comics Wikipedia Entry here....

Sláine (written by Pat Mills unless stated):
Warrior's Dawn (2005, ISBN 1904265332):
"The Time Monster" (with Angela Kincaid, in 2000 AD #330, 1983)
"The Beast in the Broch" (with Massimo Belardinelli, in 2000 AD #331-334, 1983)
"Warrior's Dawn" (with Mike McMahon, in 2000 AD #335, 1983)
"The Beltain Giant" (with Mike McMahon, in 2000 AD #336, 1983).
"The Bride of Crom" (with Massimo Belardinelli, in 2000 AD #337-342, 1983).
"The Creeping Death" (with Massimo Belardinelli, in 2000 AD #343, 1983).
"The Bull Dance" (with Massimo Belardinelli, in 2000 AD #344, 1983).
"Heroes' Blood" (with Mike McMahon, in 2000 AD #345-347, 1983)
"The Shoggey Beast" (with Mike McMahon, in 2000 AD #348-351, 1983-1984)
"Sky Chariots" (with Mike McMahon, in 2000 AD #352-360, 1984)
"The Origins" (two page text article, 2000 AD #352, 1984)
Time Killer (2007, ISBN 1905437218):
"Dragonheist" (with Massimo Belardinelli, in 2000 AD #361-367, 1984)
"The Time Killer" (with Glenn Fabry, David Pugh and Bryan Talbot, in 2000 AD #411-428 and 431-434, 1985)
The King (2008, ISBN 1905437665):
"The Tomb of Terror" (with Glenn Fabry and David Pugh, in 2000 AD #447-461)
"Spoils of Annwn" (with Mike Collins and Mark Farmer, in 2000 AD #493-499)
"Sláine the King" (with Glenn Fabry, in 2000 AD #500-508 and #517-519)
"The Killing Field" (written by Angela Kincaid, with Glenn Fabry, in 2000 AD #582)
"Slaine the Mini-Series" (with Glenn Fabry, in 2000 AD #589-591)
The Horned God (2008, ISBN 1905437733):
"The Horned God, Book I" (with Simon Bisley, in 2000 AD #626-635)
"The Horned God, Book II" (with Simon Bisley, in 2000 AD #650-656 and #662-664)
"The Horned God, Book III" (with Simon Bisley, in 2000 AD #688-698)
Uncollected:
"Jealousy of Niamh" (with Greg Staples, in 2000 AD #850-851)
"Demon Killer" (with Glenn Fabry and Dermot Power, in 2000 AD #852-859)
"Queen of Witches" (with Dermot Power, in 2000 AD #889-896)
"Name of the Sword" (with Greg Staples, in 2000 AD #950-956)
"Lord of Misrule, Part I" (with Clint Langley, in 2000 AD #958-963)
"Lord of Misrule, Part II" (with Clint Langley, in 2000 AD #995-998)
"Bowels of Hell" (with Jim Murray, in 2000 AD #1000)
"Treasures of Britain, Part I" (with Dermot Power, in 2000 AD #1001-1010)
"Ukko's Tale" (with Steve Tappin, in 2000 AD #1011-1012)
"Treasures of Britain, Part II" (with Dermot Power, in 2000 AD #1024-1031)
"The Demon Hitchhiker" (with Steve Tappin, in 2000 AD #1032)
"King of Hearts" (with Nick Percival, in 2000 AD #1033-1039)
"The Grail War" (with Steve Tappin, in 2000 AD #1040-1049)
"Secret of the Grail" (with Steve Tappin, in 2000 AD #1090-1099)
"Lord of the Beasts" (with Rafael Garres, in 2000 AD #1100)
"Kai" (with Paul Staples, in 2000 AD #1104-1107)
"The Banishing" (with Wayne Reynolds, in 2000 AD #1108-1109)
"The Triple Death" (with Wayne Reynolds, in 2000 AD #1111)
"The Swan Children" (with Siku, in 2000 AD #1112-1114)
"Macha" (with Paul Staples, in 2000 AD #1115-1118)
"The Secret Commonwealth" (with David Bircham, in 2000 AD #1183-1199)
"Beyond" (with Greg Staples, in 2000 AD prog 2000, 1999)
"The Gong Beater" (with Clint Langley, in 2000 AD prog 1635-1638)
The Books of Invasions: Moloch and Golamh (with Clint Langley, 2006, ISBN 1904265820):
"The Books of Invasions I: Moloch" (in 2000 AD #1322-1326 and prog 2003)
"The Books of Invasions II: Golamh" (in 2000 AD #1350-1355)
The Books of Invasions: Scota and Tara (with Clint Langley, 2006, ISBN 1904265928):
"The Books of Invasions III: Scota" (in 2000 AD #1371-1376)
"The Books of Invasions IV: Tara" (in 2000 AD #1420-1425 and prog 2005)
The Books of Invasions: Odacon (with Clint Langley, July 2007, ISBN 1904265928):
"The Books of Invasions V: Odacon" (200AD #1436-1442)
"Carnival" (with Clint Langley, in 2000 AD #1469-1475 and prog 2006)

Appearances in special issues:
"The Battle of Clontarf" (with Massimo Belardinelli, in 2000 AD Annual, 1985)
"The Arrow of God" (with Steve Parkhouse, in 2000 AD Annual, 1989)
"The High King" (with Glenn Fabry, in 2000 AD Yearbook, 1992)
"The Devil's Banquet" (with Glenn Fabry, in 2000 AD Sci-Fi Special, 1986)
"The Return of the High King" (by Dermot Power, Poster Prog Slaine 1)
[edit] Video games
Sláine, The Celtic Barbarian (by Creative Reality, Amstrad CPC, C64 and ZX Spectrum graphic adventure) [1]
[edit] RPGs
Solo RPG appearances:
Cauldron of Blood (Dice Man #1, illustrated by David Lloyd).
Dragoncorpse (Dice Man #2, illustrated by Nik Williams).
The Ring of Danu (Dice Man #4, illustrated by Mike Collins & Mark Farmer).
The Invulnerable King (by Ian Sturrock, Mongoose Publishing) [2]
Slaine - The Roleplaying Game of Celtic Heroes (by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, Mongoose Publishing) [3]
[edit] Novels
The first Sláine novel was released at the end of 2006:
Sláine: Sláine the Exile (Steven Savile, Black Flame, December 2006, ISBN 1844163873)
Sláine: Slaine the Defiler (Steven Savile, Black Flame, September 2007, ISBN 1-84416-493-4)

I included the Slaine Martech game. Thats part of the story as well, wether or not it serves the Chronology of Slaine I'm not sure.

Even the Teeth OF the Moon Sow Campiegn written for the Slaine D Twenty Role playing rules system is sotry that runs parralell to The Horned God.

If you want something thats more of a guide, than a index. I would love to work on that.

TordelBack

IndigoPrime

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 24 September, 2009, 06:46:30 AM
Quoting LittleBlueThing......A complete run of Slaine all in one book would be very wide. Too big for just one book. AAre you actulley asking how somebody else would do this themselves for the publication.
I wasn't suggesting all Sláine should go on one volume—I'm not a crazy person. I was, however, suggesting that Rebellion has been accommodating when it comes to receiving suggestions regarding books, especially for complete series. The Dredd Case Files 0 is largely down to people wanting a catch-up volume of non-Prog stuff. I helped Jon with Ace Trucking and Nemesis (although the order of the latter unfortunately placed one of the Winter Special stories out of sequence), and I'm sure Keith would be grateful for people here to provide a sanity-check wish-list that he could compare Sláine flat-plans against.

Note that commercial decisions sometimes dictate how volumes end up (sacrificing the odd tale, because otherwise a book would be two or three quid more expensive and therefore sell poorly, putting an entire series at risk), but more brains are better than one.

Leigh S

id say the high king story and the return of the high king story are possibly the most cotinuity required tales going!  the high king tale from the yearbook sets up Slaines time travelling lifestyle after his reign comes to an end.  then we get the boadicea tale, then Slaine tries to return to his people in the poster prog and fails, and his various wanderings from then on are put into a much more poignant perspective.  i think both these tales do a lot to enhance a not too well loved period od Slaine - maybe not enough, but they do go some way. 

Without them, it'll be a much reduced volyume, both from a value for money and an artistic perspective

Mike Gloady

I'm with you there, Leigh.

If it were down to what to sacrifice (for hopefull inclusion in the "Lost Years" collection we'd all like to see in a few years) I'd ditch "The Jealousy of Niamh" in the favour of "Slaine The High King" from 92's (I think) yearbook and "Return of the High King" from the poster prog to bookend "Demon Killer" & "Queen of the Witches". 

That's IF there's a choice to be made.  So long as they might one day show up in the "Bonus Material" section of a future collection we all understand why these things get bumped. 

I'd like to offer genuine thanks for the request for input from us, the readers.  It's appreciated.

James Stacey

now how about those Daily Star Dredds then.

ThryllSeekyr

Quoting Styrofoam Kid....

Slaine the High King, 1992 Yearbook (Sep. 1991). Story by Mills, art by Glenn Fabry. 9 pages

The Jealousy of Niamh, 2 episodes, progs 850-851 (Sept. 1993). Story by Mills, art by Greg Staples & Nick Percival. 12 pages

Demon Killer, 8 episodes, progs 852-859 (Sept. to Oct. 1993). Story by Mills, art by Glenn Fabry (pts 1-7) and Dermot Power (pt . 48 pages

The Return of the High King, Slaine Poster Prog #1. Story by Mills, art by Dermot Power. 6 pages

The Queen of Witches, 8 episodes, progs 889-896 (May to July 1994). Story by Mills, art by Power. 48 pages

The Name of the Sword, 7 episodes, progs 950-956 (July to Sept. 1995). Story by Mills, art by Greg Staples. 43 pages

But I'm not digging out the progs to check! Does that seem right to people? TS?

End of Quote

Comparing this with the Slaine Index on the Wiki.

From the Slaine Index on the Wikipdeia....

Jealousy of Niamh" (with Greg Staples, in 2000 AD #850-851)
  "Demon Killer" (with Glenn Fabry and Dermot Power, in 2000 AD #852-859)
  "Queen of Witches" (with Dermot Power, in 2000 AD #889-896)
  "Name of the Sword" (with Greg Staples, in 2000 AD #950-956)

"The Battle of Clontarf" (with Massimo Belardinelli, in 2000 AD Annual, 1985)
"The Arrow of God" (with Steve Parkhouse, in 2000 AD Annual, 1989)
"The High King" (with Glenn Fabry, in 2000 AD Yearbook, 1992)
"The Devil's Banquet" (with Glenn Fabry, in 2000 AD Sci-Fi Special, 1986)
"The Return of the High King" (by Dermot Power, Poster Prog Slaine 1)

That seems about right the way you've put it. Though, I'm really not sure if having the Jealousy of Niamh inbetween the The High King and Demon-Killer. I wonder if  that is going to spoil the build up. But it's a while since I've read that Jealousy of Niamh*

It may improve it. Never the less you most probably placed it in it's correct order as with the insertion of The High King and The Return of the High King.

* It's in the pile of comics I brought back home from Sydney years ago. They are currently on a shelf behind alot of clutter on my desk which is in turn surrounded by alot of clutter on the floor..It's hard to get to.

If thats the order it was published in. Then I have no arguement with that. The High King was printed in anaul which only shows the year it was printed. Not a Prog number or date to that one. Wether it's Winter or Summer is inmaterial to me as the climate is reverced where I am.

Quoting Mike Gloady

All i would say to that, styrofoam kid (great name by the way) is that the story "Return of The High King" while originally published before "The Queen of Witches" is set AFTER it.

That lineup would also break up the Robin Hood storyline across two books? Unless i'm wrong, obviously.

End OF Quote

Didn't know that myself.
All I knew was that in Warrior Beyond Time

Demon Killer, One & two , Queen fo the Wtiches and Treasures of Britain One & two were all printed together.in the one binding. Despite all those others.

Queen of the Witchs is actualley a large part of Demon-Killer As I just got out my copy of Warrior Beyond Time and the other Demon-Killer graphic novel. Here.....

They are both the same, exept the first has Treasures of Britain included. I thought Queen of the Witches. would have been a few more pages, but it's a large part of Demon-Killer

There are no lines of demarcation between the two stories. I suspect Queen of the Witchs proper starts when Slaine defeats Efric for the first time in that story.

If someone knows better Can they tell me. I've never collected that story in the progs. What happens in Slaine in prog Both of those are seven Progs long.

In the one another version of Demon-Killer --printed in a foreigh European language I don't understand & cut together-- with Return of the High King  minus the actual poster in it's original printing.

Which makes it ambiguous which is the exact order that Return of the High King and  Queen oF the Witches are meant to be in despite which was published first and how they aree then sold.

Quoting Mike Gloady

That lineup would also break up the Robin Hood storyline across two books? Unless i'm wrong, obviously.

End OF Quote

If I 'm not wrong the Robin Hood storyline doesn't start until Lord Of Misrule commences.

With Name Of the Sword I mn not sure if he had anthing to do with Robin Hood or was it Robin Goodfellow, but did he have the the look of a un-armoured Samurai warrior in this one. It's all to do with the hair style of course.

Quoting LittleBlueThing....

Would this be a good time for the trades to feature The Battle of Clontarf? I think it would! And what about the story from the Poster Prog?

End OF Quote

If your referring to the one drawn by Massimo Belardenelli. I'd say no. It would have been better if it was placed in front of The Time-Monsteer If doesn't spoil the storyline there. If dioes, then I could only see happening right before Horned God. So that would require a brand new reprint of the earlier volumes of Slaine.

Placing that one anywhere near Demon-Killer would be strange as The Battle Of Clontarf is actaulley been retold through the handiwork of Ukko on the first few pages..If anybody has that Graphic novel or prog in front of them. I urge them to see for themselves.

Once again, I will ask about "The Arrow of God"?

Where in the chronology should this be reprinted.

It was printed once in 1989 annual & again as #27 Quality.

It seems just as misplaced as the "Battle of Clontarf" story.

Like I said earlier about the The Return OF the High King the story from the poster prog.

It was tagged on the at the end of this foreign version of Demon-Killer

I think it's better off at the end of Queen of the Witches rather before it and after Demon-Killer

Those two stories are difficult to separate.

Quoting TordelBack.....

Another vote for Bellardinelli's Battle of Clontarf here! It even fits the theme, as Sláine's first time 'mission'.

End of Quote

The Battle of Clontarf is already featured as it's being retold by Ukko in the beginning pages of Demon-Killer.

Most admittedly each version seem to outclass the other in different ways.

Quoting Styrofoam Kid.....

Mike - my ailing memory isn't sure if it splits the robin hood stuff. Just went with everything post Horned God until I got close to the 170 pages listed on the forthcoming books site. If they dropped a couple of the less continuity specific stuff like the poster prog etc then they could work in the next storyline from the prog. Or they could just extend the page count, cos I'd like an uncut Slaine if poss.

End OF Quote

Just look up Slaine Comics on the Wikipedia. It has listing of the entire run so far. The Robin Hood stories commence right after Name of the Sword

unless you have everything set out before you like I almost have right now.

Mike Gloady

INTRO TO BOUDICA STORYLINE
"The High King" Yearbook 92

In which Slaine learns he'll get his fill of gory combat after he goes into the earth.  Which cheers him up hugely.

MAIN BOUDICA STORYLINE
"Demon Killer" 6 progs
"Queen of Witches" 8 progs

In which Slaine gets to burn Colchester, London, St Albans etc to the ground.  HURRAY!!!!  By the way, the break between the two storylines is when Elfric seems to "kill" the spikey bonced one with his eye.  First page of "Queen of Witches" is Elfric holding Slaine and tentacles.  At the END of Queen of Witches, Slaine asks for his reward to be returning to Ireland which happens in...

EPILOGUE
"Return of The High King" Slaine Poster Prog

In which he gets his wish in a retread of the story where Oisin meets St Patrick - at the end of which Slaine accepts that the Goddess wants him to defend her in other times and walks back into his tomb.

As I said before, "Return of the High King", despite being the epilogue to the storyline, appeared before "Queen of Witches" so, for it to make sense, the original publication order needs to be abandoned in favour of one where the whole thing actually makes sense plot-wise.

The Robin Hood storyline takes place in "The Name of the Sword" and "Lord of Misrule"