Main Menu

Rogue Trooper - Good resources online or otherwise

Started by Luddite, 26 August, 2009, 10:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luddite

Greetings all,

I'm currently working up a wargame based on Rogue Trooper (using the excellent Pig Iron miniatures).

I am however, finding an online dearth of information about Nu Earth and the Rogue Trooper universe in general.

Can anyone point me at a good resource that details Nu-Earth, the Norts and Southers, the setting, background and history etc.??

Obviously i'm up to speed on things in general (being a longtime fan of Rogue) but i'm looking for a bit of a deeper look at the setting.

any help i greatly appreciated...

Richmond Clements

Dandontdare

The fabulous old boardgame from Games Workshop would contain lots of useful info on weapons, units, hazards etc (pass the Anti-Stamell Gas!). They often pop up on e-bay - this one's currently at £8.99 with less than 24 hours to go. No idea what they usually finish for though, probably something outrageous. How I wish I'd kept mine...

Luddite

Cheers for the advice chaps.

Unfortunately wiki is a good start but doesn't really contain the depth i'm looking for.

Also i have the GW Rogue Trooper game.  Again, some useful info but not much depth.

The sorts of info i'm looking for includes:

• Unit, platoon, company organisations for Norts & Southers.  Training and recruitment policies?
    Planets and stellar maps for the Souther Confederacy & Greater Nordland.  What planets are there aside from Earth and Nu-Earth?
    Definitive colours for flags, insignia, uniforms, leveries, etc.
    Social and political details for Norts and Southers
    Collected timeline, history, or gazeteer of events in the RT universe...
That sort of stuff.

Of course i can just make it up but it'd be nice to have some official sources.

Does anyone know where i can find this sort of info? 
I've exhausted my web-search-fu...

Richmond Clements

Hi Luddite. Truth be told, I'm not sure such a thing exists (although I am prepared to be proved wrong).

There are alien species on Nu-earth, we have seen them from time to time, and there are 'civilians' there too (Cinnibar for example), but I'd be surprised if there is actually any kind of writers bible or offical timeline for the strip.
In other words, I'd just make shit up.

Bouwel

Not much I can add to the above, really. As far as I am aware there is no one source for the sort of information you want. I would say that you might be able to adapt the military section from Mongoose's Traveller game. I always seen Norts as being 'Russian' and Southers as being 'Western forces'.

The Rogue Trooper computer game does have some additional background information, but you have to un-lock it via achievements to read it.

Hope this helps.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Luddite

Aye, i feared as much.

If 2000AD published it i'd buy it!   ;D

Rebellion's Rogue Trooper game is excellent and i'm using it essentially as a source for terrain, uniform colours etc.

I think i'll be making much of this stuff up myself which is fine, but it'd have been nice to get some official sourcing (other than a trawl though my collect of RT materials for clues!

Anyway, thanks for the advice chaps.

Trout

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 27 August, 2009, 09:47:56 AM
make shit up.

Yeah, good call. I recall we had a thread here where we had difficulty even deciding the colours of the uniforms.

Luddite, what you're looking for almost certainly doesn't exist. The best way would be to read a bunch of Rogue Trooper comics, then come up with whatever feels right.

- Trout

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 August, 2009, 10:53:56 PM
The fabulous old boardgame from Games Workshop would contain lots of useful info on weapons, units, hazards etc (pass the Anti-Stamell Gas!). They often pop up on e-bay - this one's currently at £8.99 with less than 24 hours to go. No idea what they usually finish for though, probably something outrageous. How I wish I'd kept mine...

Now I've never been a fan of Rogue Trooper but that board game was class

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 28 August, 2009, 05:40:53 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 August, 2009, 10:53:56 PM

Now I've never been a fan of Rogue Trooper but that board game was class
Yeah wasn't it? After making that post, I actually put in a bid for that one (not that I know any other gamers these days - pure nostalgia!). My maximum bid was £15 but the bugger went for £16!

malkymac

Quote from: Bouwel on 27 August, 2009, 10:54:36 AM
Not much I can add to the above, really. As far as I am aware there is no one source for the sort of information you want. I would say that you might be able to adapt the military section from Mongoose's Traveller game. I always seen Norts as being 'Russian' and Southers as being 'Western forces'.

The Rogue Trooper computer game does have some additional background information, but you have to un-lock it via achievements to read it.

Hope this helps.

-Bouwel-

I always got the feeling that it was more an Allies V Nazis vibe in the orignal Rogue trooper.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Bouwel on 27 August, 2009, 10:54:36 AM
... a fair bit of which appears in the "Making of Rogue Trooper" book, though in the rehashing it misses the opportunity to add anything new, e.g. a legend for all the different Nort icons shown on the maps at the start of each level.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

SamuelAWilkinson

Quote from: King Trout on 27 August, 2009, 01:22:29 PM
Quote from: His Lordship rac on 27 August, 2009, 09:47:56 AM
make shit up.

Yeah, good call. I recall we had a thread here where we had difficulty even deciding the colours of the uniforms.

Luddite, what you're looking for almost certainly doesn't exist. The best way would be to read a bunch of Rogue Trooper comics, then come up with whatever feels right.

- Trout

Horrible grey all round, aren't they?
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.