Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega-City One Archives Vol. 2

Started by Dash Decent, 04 September, 2009, 02:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Amazon UK are now listing volume 2 for pre-order, with a release date of 8 Feb 2010.

Blurb reads:
"A new series exploring every aspect of Mega-City One, Dredd himself and the world in which he dispenses justice. In Volume 2: Lawbringers, August Hahn reveals the men and women who make the Justice Department work, the enforcers and undercover operatives that bring order to the chaos of Mega-City One."
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Colin YNWA

I'm really intrigued by these can't wait to see what they're actually like.

Tiptonman

Hopefully it's got some new information, not just regurgitating what we already know from the comics, but I suspect it's our version of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe. I'm worried about Mongoose Publishing's growing involvement in Dredd literature, a company infamous for cutting corners, middling quality and poor editing (is the recession hitting Rebellion?). Still, with the right staffers on board it could be decent.

TordelBack

QuoteHopefully it's got some new information, not just regurgitating what we already know from the comics

I rather hope they don't include anything "new" (obligatory caveat: unless written by Wagner).  The last 'new' Dredd information I actually enjoyed was the fan-made Mega-Ciy Three civil war timeline in the (1981?) Dredd annual.

Tiptonman, unless I'm missing something these are same concerns you posted a few months back, i.e.:

QuoteIt's still Mongoose Publishing we're talking about, regardless of whether the books are RPG or not (and I'm speaking as a former Mongoose freelancer!). They have a continuous track record of poor design, editing, amateur level writing, and rushing to meet deadlines, throwing out mistakes all over the place. I have the horrible suspicion that they have been contracted to produce 2000AD books more cheaply than usual - BUT I hope I'm wrong!

I could be wrong, but I think you might have a bit of a bee in your bonnet about Mongoose.  Assuming these are effectively RPG sourcebooks under the RPG license, and I can't imagine any other context in which such things would get made, it's not like it affects the comic in any real way.  I say wait and see.

Incidentally, has anyone laid their hands on the Judge Dredd RPG book yet?

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

TordelBack

Hmm, the artist's familiar but I can't quite place it.  Quite like Hershey's Girdle of Justice! 

COMMANDO FORCES

I think it looks like Jason Brashill, but I'm sure someone will know :-\

Tiptonman

I could be wrong, but I think you might have a bit of a bee in your bonnet about Mongoose.

That's stating the obvious I think :) Any company with a history of poor product design tends to cause concern among those who are more than casual purchasers.

Richmond Clements

QuoteIncidentally, has anyone laid their hands on the Judge Dredd RPG book yet?

I've got a copy whcih I shall be reviewing in due course- ie when I get the time!

COMMANDO FORCES

Tiptonman

Quote from: Dash Decent on 11 September, 2009, 01:01:22 PM
Cover now up on Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1906508895/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Hmm. It's Got a Kevin Walker backdrop from the original 2002 Dredd RPG cover (which suffers a technical mishap halfway up the page, nearing the cityblock tops. Is this the final design?). It's most definately not the impressive Jason Brashill responsible for the new art. Probably an artist working in the rpg industry.

James Stacey

It could well be the lovely Anne Stokes. She does a fair bit for Mongoose.

vzzbux

I see there is going to be 13 volumes. Hmmmmmmm.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 11 September, 2009, 04:42:46 PM
I think it looks like Jason Brashill, but I'm sure someone will know :-\

Was that to me, CF?

If so, then yes it is- it's full of lovely Dreddy images.