Main Menu

2000ad Cliches

Started by Buttonman, 18 September, 2009, 07:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

My Future Shock submissions are rejected.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Buttonman

37) If another judge is shown giving Dredd even the slightest bit of disrespect he's going to be on the take and will get his ass handed to him by page 6/12/18

ozebane

"You'll never take me aliv-argghmyleg!"

ThryllSeekyr

Up until now the maning of CLICHE has always been knwn to me in certain fashion without me really knowing the textbook meaning.

According to the Free--Online--Dictionary.

{quote]
cli·ché also cliche (kl-sh)
n.
1. A trite or overused expression or idea: "Even while the phrase was degenerating to cliché in ordinary public use . . . scholars were giving it increasing attention" (Anthony Brandt).
2. A person or character whose behavior is predictable or superficial: "There is a young explorer . . . who turns out not to be quite the cliche expected" (John Crowley).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[French, past participle of clicher, to stereotype (imitative of the sound made when the matrix is dropped into molten metal to make a stereotype plate).]
Synonyms: cliché, bromide, commonplace, platitude, truism
These nouns denote an expression or idea that has lost its originality or force through overuse: a short story weakened by clichés; the old bromide that we are what we eat; uttered the commonplace "welcome aboard"; a eulogy full of platitudes; a once-original thought that has become a truism.[/quote]

Like I've always known it's a CLICHED idea that the herioc knight will befreind a monster that turns out to be good. If you've read Dragonalnce Kaz the Minotaur

While my intepretion isn't altogther wrong it's just shouldn' be thought as something that can be so common and that get overused it loses it's power.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Mikey

QuoteA John Smith story will split opinions

Should that not read...A johnsmith story will shatter/braid hivethought.

#672 Wulf vill mention der cucumber at least vunce Johnny, and speak in der german accent,even though he's from Norway! And probably never even seen a cucumber!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

TordelBack

No. 345.  When Justice Department confiscates some incredibly powerful technology, it will never be referred to again, unless it forms a gateway to a hostile dimension, when it will be given to civilian scientists to play with.

No. 346.  Wally Squad operatives will use their real names at all times, even when making a public arrest.  And then go back to their meticulously crafted undercover lives under the same name.

Proudhuff

Anyone in Dante who gets killed will be back, shock!
DDT did a job on me

SuperSurfer

Computer sidekick characters that exist inside the lead character that give the writer opportunities for ongoing dialogue ie John Probe's computer or Dante's weapons crest. The character gets involved in some cheeky banter/rivalry with his 'friend' who has been imposed on him. Kind of like Knight Rider's KITT. Rogue's biochip buddies are a bit close.

This is like giving a main character an imaginary friend.

The Monarch

There will be a lot of torture/nasty dismenmberments/grisly deaths in a john smith story

Rio De Fideldo

Most strips which are supposed to be funny won't actually be funny

TordelBack

789.  Any Robbie Morrison story will involve one or all of the following: (a). nudity; (b). threat of rape; (c). threat of/actual castration; (d). threat of/actual injury to children.

790.  Any Pat Mills story will have lots of invented or repurposed nouns which seem silly at first, then become swearword substitutes within the strip, and later become charming and fondly remembered.  Credo!

TordelBack

Bugger, just realised the above post comes across like I'm accusing Robbie of being some kind of pervert - that wasn't the intention.  Well, maybe the nice kind of pervert.   And yes, I know Credo is neither noun nor swearword.  Must work harder at this sense of humour thing.

Hoagy

If there's a bad guy, he/she's usually a figure of authority. EVEN with Dredd providing the exception to the rule.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract