Main Menu

What 2000 AD graphic novels would you like to see in 2010?

Started by radiator, 07 November, 2009, 12:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

So far we haven't seen many announcements for 2010 graphic novels. Are there any in particular you'd like to see next year? For me there's:

Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files
My original stance was I'd like to see the Case Files go up to Necropolis and no further, as trying to collect everything would be impractical. However as the colour volumes are a lot more compact I've changed my mind and would now like to see a continuation with all the Megazine Dredds included as well.

Judge Dredd: The Complete Daily Star Newspaper Strips
Just one volume collecting all the Wagner/Grant ones.

Judge Dredd: Mutants in Mega City One/Tour of Duty
A volume collecting the entire Tour of Duty saga so date would be very welcome - there's already more than enough material for one book. The only reason I can see that this hasn't happened yet is that Tharg is waiting to see how the whole story pans out so he can decide how to go about publishing it and what stories should be included.

Song of the Surfer: The Complete Chopper
A nice big phonebook collecting all of Chopper's post-Oz adventures - Soul On Fire, Song of the Surfer, Earth Wind and Fire, Dead Man's Curve and The Big Meg. Supersurf 13 would be nice for completeness sake, but is not essential.

The Taxidermist featuring Judge Dredd
Have wanted this book for a long, long time. Return of the Taxidermist is in my opinion the best Dredd spin off there has ever been - it's laugh out loud funny, inventive, original and also very moving. I have a bad feeling that Return... will end up in the Meg supplements but personally I really think it deserves a proper release, collected together with Jacob Sardini's first appearence The Taxidermist and his epilogue Revenge of the Taxidermist.

The Complete Al's Baby

Judge Anderson: The Psi Files
Would like to see this series continue into the colour era and collect everything up to Satan, though perhaps it should end there?

Downlode Tales
To plug the gap in the Sinister Dexter books.

Atavar reboot
I already have the hardback, but I'd like a paperback of this to collect all three volumes. Seems quite realistic coming off the popularity of Kingdom.

Lobster Random reboot
As with Atavar, I have the flimsy hardback, but I'd like a new paperback series to collect all the Lobster Random series to date, as well as The Vort.

The Red Seas continuation
I quite enjoyed volume one, and I'd like to see another book bringing us up to date so I can enjoy the current storylines.

Cradlegrave
Probably not one I'd buy personally, but one I think would make a handsome collection and have the potential for big crossover appeal if promoted well - it would really chime with the current vogue for 'hoodie-horror'.

Zenith
No wish list would be complete without it.

Nikolai Dante, Shakara and Kingdom continuation

For the Meg supplements I'd like to see Sooner or Later/Switfy's Return, The Bendatti Vendetta, I Was A Teenage Tax Consultant, The Balls Brothers and Mercy Heights/Tor Cyan.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: radiator on 07 November, 2009, 12:00:12 PM

Judge Dredd: The Complete Daily Star Newspaper Strips
Just one volume collecting all the Wagner/Grant ones.

Would love to see this one and also a Harlem Heroes (original series).

I'd also like to see more stuff from the Meg as I don't get it but there are a few things that I'd love to read, Inserection and these Untold Tales stories currently running among them.

Oh and a Missionary Man omnibus.

radiator

QuoteOh and a Missionary Man omnibus.

Oh yeah, forgot to put that on my list - that would be great.

Darren Stephens

Yeh, most of those mentioned. Balls Bros would be tops. In our younger days a friend of mine drew a very similair strip called the Meat Brothers. It was awesome, heh. A Zenith book one hardcover would be good, too.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

radiator

Oh, another one I forgot:

The Batman/Judge Dredd Files
A new Rebellion paperback edition which includes Vendetta in Gotham (missing from the DC version), as well as the Dreams of Glory, the Die Laughing prologue story.

I also wouldn't object to a Judge Dredd: The Crossovers volume collecting Judge Dredd Vs.Predator and Judge Dredd/Lobo: Psycho Bikers Vs. The Mutants From Hell, and perhaps his run-ins with other 2000 ad characters.

I know these stories aren't very well regarded, but then I am a bit of a Dredd completist (I actually bought the Heavy Metal Dredd book!).

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dan Dare

Zarjazzer

Dan Dare from the first 50 progs, even though it will never happen...  :(
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Bhuna

twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress

COMMANDO FORCES

Peter Wolf

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Mazeworld

I'd also love to see more of The Red Seas and The Complete Al's Baby.

Colin YNWA

IndigoPrime

Quote from: radiator on 07 November, 2009, 12:00:12 PMJudge Dredd: The Complete Case Files
My original stance was I'd like to see the Case Files go up to Necropolis and no further, as trying to collect everything would be impractical. However as the colour volumes are a lot more compact I've changed my mind and would now like to see a continuation with all the Megazine Dredds included as well.
Before he moved on from the trades, Jon planned to split Case Files between 2000 AD and Meg strips (roughly 50/50 per book, depending on which stories were included). I've no idea what Keith's plans are, but I can't imagine he'd scrap that idea without a good reason.

Of the other things mentioned here, I can't see Dan Dare happening, given that Rebellion doesn't have any rights to the character.

Mike Gloady

The Case Files should definitely continue with the Meg and Twoth stuff combined.  Yeah, there might be two volumes per "year" for some years, but that's fine as far as I'm concerned. 

I'll deal with the other suggestions in the order in which they've been mentioned.  This post may become TS in its length, apologies....

Judge Dredd: The Complete Daily Star Dredd Yes please.  There've been so many of us asking for this that, legal issues aside, I'm almost certain it'll happen.  *fingers crossed it's not just us boarders who are by definition fanatical about it who are asking*  Although I'd want the Metro Dredds in there too.  And if that meant TWO volumes, I'm fine with that.  I've never read ANY of them.  So I'd really like the chance to read this stuff.

Judge Dredd: Mutants in Mega-City 1 and Judge Dredd: Tour of Duty Yeah, this really needs to happen.  Preferably in two volumes as I think the whole thing will require it, or a semi-Case Files treatment (although that may push the price point up beyond that which Rebellion may think is sensible). 

The Complete Chopper  Yes please.  Although obviously it SHOULD be complete to be worth bothering with, let's not leave anything out regardless of whether or not it's thought to be much cop by most of us (although I DO remember hating Supersurf 13).

The Taxidermist featuring Judge Dredd  Yes please again.  Classic story and well worth putting out with the original Sardini tale.  Were there other stories after the Mega Olympics one?

The Complete Al's Baby  YES PLEASE.  I really need this.  My absolute favourite of your suggestions.

Judge Anderson, Psi Division  Yeah, this needs to be a COMPLETE collection though, running RIGHT up to date.  I need to catch up and the later stuff (which I missed) relates to "My Name is Death" - it'd be a shame not to publish these later tales.

Sinister Dexter: Downlode Tales  Second only to Al's Baby, I need to see this.  I guess this way it'd be an optional extra rather than run the risk of alienating readers who're just getting into the series after three books to see the team, seemingly irrecoverably, broken up.  And its collection would ensure that the obvious question in the minds of the reader (what the funt happened) is answered.  A definite winner.

Atavar  Missed this entirely so I've no opinion, maybe a complete collection would make it worth my while picking up?

Lobster Random  Almost entirely missed this in the prog, it's only appearance since my return being the Vort and whatever happened after that.  I realise as a latecomer I'm probably not in a great position to judge, but it didn't do much for me.  A complete collection might tempt me to try it out, unlike the incomplete hardback thing that's blocking up the Twoth GN space in my thrill-merchant.

The Red Seas  Yes please, I'd like to get up to date on this.

Cradlegrave  I'm not a huge John Smith fan.  In fact, with only one or two exceptions, I've really disliked a lot of his stuff.  Having said that, I really enjoyed this and it worked so well when read in one go.  I could happily pick up a copy of that for the shelf.

Zenith  Obviously this would be great.  Complete, naturally.  Am I alone in thinking the colouring on Phase 4, while out of keeping with the rest, was really nicely done?  Am I missing something in my recollection?

Nikolai Dante, Shakara & Kingdom  I doubt there's any chance that Rebellion will leave these series incomplete.  The three best non-Dredd things Twoth have going right now by a long way. 

Harlem Heroes (original series)  A good idea.  Like Flesh, for me at least, not essential, but it'd be nice to have the chance to pick it up and give it a go.  As for the reboot, given the cracking Dillon/Walker art, I'd like to see THAT in a floppy, even though it's badly written.

Insurrection  Cracking art (it's MacNeil, what else do you expect?) but not for me. 

Missionary Man  If it were complete rather than a taster or "best of" then I'd be in. 

Batman/Judge Dredd: The Complete Crossovers and Dredd: Crossovers  Yeah, the original DC version dropped Cam Kennedy's "Vendetta in Gotham" PRESUMABLY because it was the only non-painted story of the four.  A massive oversight as it's also probably the best art of all, and there's no shortage of talented artists at work on the others.  THAT missing story is also more integral to the understanding of the final "Die Laughing" than the fairly dull "Ultimate Riddle".  Additional promotional images and that alternate cover Bisley tried out and maybe a page or two of sketches and an intro or so would be welcome for those of us who have the DC version.  Also the repro in Rebellion's collections is tons better than the old DC ones so there'd be an improvement in the quality that'd make it worth buying again.  Predator is a dull premise for storytelling as everything other than the original Arnie vehicle that's carried the name has proven.  Lobo?  No, not for me.  Friday, S/D, & Hammerstein?  Hmmmmm.  Probably give that a miss.  It's all a bit rubbish really, despite having good creators for the most part. 

Stainless Steel Rat, Blackhawk, Inferno, Return to Armageddon, Twoth Dare, Meltdown Man, Mazeworld  No thanks.  SSR would probably require legal wrangling.  It's probably a non-starter without Rebellion having to pay an unpleasantly large royalty.  Dare wasn't included in the Rebellion buyout, the character being sold to someone else who commissioned Ennis' fine work published by the awful Virgin Comics line.  None of the rest appeals to me even remotely but then I did arrive later than many of you which might explain that to some degree (although none of them appealed in the back-issues I tracked down).  Mazeworld wasn't my cup of tea at all. 

My own suggestions
Sinister Dexter This needs to start catching up pretty quickly in the way that Dante has recently.  I love this series and, while it has its detractors, there are a lot more like me.  More of them out there will only help convert more "maybes" into hardcore fans. 

Stickleback  I want the second volume with an almost physical intensity.  But I guess there'll need to be more of this in the prog first.  So hurry up, Tharg!

New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever