Main Menu

Sherlock

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 15 July, 2010, 06:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

Quote from: ghostpockets on 26 July, 2010, 09:41:54 PM
iIplayer wouldn't work for me all evening, like it was warning me away. But I got it working now so I shall endure and return later with a Solomon-like pronouncement....

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 26 July, 2010, 06:40:12 PM

Moffat Who? Shit, yep. League of Gents? Good when it started, peaked in series two, then became unwatchable. Jekyll? Spectacularly bad!

Sir, we are on the same page. Let's start a club!

SBT

Heck yeah! We need to think up a good name though, one that will look good on the back of a baseball jacket.

What about "The League of Contrary Gentlemen"

-pj

SmallBlueThing

That's excellent my holden, i like that! But i am duty bound to point out that there are far more people that dont watch dr who and (obviously) LoG, than do. And of all the people i know in 'real life', who did watch the last series, the vast majority either expressed no opinion whatsoever, or indicated they thought it pants.
But lets not worry about it, im glad its still liked by some.
SBT

Richmond Clements

Just this last week I finished writing a Sherlock Holmes story I have been working on for future publication, so I have spent the last few months immersed in the original stories.

I expected to hate this.

But by god it was magnificent. Watson was spot on- he is suffering from PTSD from his time in India in the original stories, so updating it to Iraq was a great idea. And the Holmes fella was perfect casting- right down to the twitches and everything.

Mike Carroll

Just finished watching Sherlock. I had no idea until it started that it had been updated to modern times, so that was a bit of a surprise.

Have to say, I loved it. It was like a cross between House M.D. and Psych - two of my favourite shows - only with Sherlock Holmes. And, yes, I've read and enjoyed all the ACD Holmes tales. Never seen Jeremy Brett's version, though, nor the Guy Ritchie movie, so I've no idea how it compares.

The only downside was Mr. Gatiss' presence. It was like that bit in an American comedy where the film is rattling along and then all of a sudden Will Ferrell makes his unfunny cameo appearance, grinding the movie to a shuddering halt and snapping the viewer back to reality. If they really wanted to get someone who can come across smart enough to be Holmes' brother, they should have picked Alan Davies. You know it makes sense: Jonathan Creek was, like House, another version of Sherlock Holmes!

Anyway, as I said: loved it. So did the Mrs., and she's a die-hard Holmes fan!

-- Mike

the styrofoam kid

This was fab, just watched it now.

In the spirit of the thing, I think I may have deduced something.  Reckon that Mycroft's female assistant will turn out to be Moriarty.

Two weeks from now I look either very smug or very stupid...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 26 July, 2010, 10:54:57 PM
Never seen Jeremy Brett's version,

Whaaaat?!? Definitive adaptation, IMO. Brett was superb and both David Burke and Edward Hardwicke did sterling work as their respective Watsons. The thing I particularly like is the fact that it makes sense of the Holmes/Watson relationship, casting Watson as a determined, capable and practical man who is good at precisely all the stuff that Holmes isn't.

Glorious production values and universally excellent direction -- inadvertently serving as a reminder of the sorry state of ITV drama these days.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 26 July, 2010, 10:54:57 PM
Never seen Jeremy Brett's version, though,

I watched a few of the Jeremy Brett version and it was good enough.Jeremy Brett was perfect for the part.Just the right look and a perfect portrayal of the character.I think it was ITV as well  and i dont normally watch ITV as a rule.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

I, Cosh

Very interesting. I didn't watch this but a whole load of my non(sci-fi)-geek mates have been filling up facebook today banging on about how awful it was so I'm rather surprised to find the concensus here to be so positive.
We never really die.

Emperor

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 26 July, 2010, 10:46:33 PM
Just this last week I finished writing a Sherlock Holmes story I have been working on for future publication, so I have spent the last few months immersed in the original stories.

Hellllllllo. You can't just throw that in and leave it at that!!

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 26 July, 2010, 10:46:33 PMWatson was spot on- he is suffering from PTSD from his time in India in the original stories, so updating it to Iraq was a great idea.

#cough# Afghanistan #cough# ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

uncle fester

Quote from: Emperor on 26 July, 2010, 11:37:50 PM

What Emps said!!

ghostpockets

Just finished watching it. Oh what a cheese-fest. Gatiss in particular stank of edam. So we have this autistic savant with a computerized brain (with built in GPS apparently), and [spoiler]he is almost out-foxed by a variation of the Poison Goblet scene from The Princess Bride[/spoiler]? INCONCEIVABLE!

To be honest the update seemed forced, with a reference to mobile phones and blogs every other minute. If this had been made in the 90s Sherlock would have probably had a skateboard.

All in all I probably will tune in for episode 2, there isn't much else on and it was entertaining enough in a perverse way. I won't be eating my (ass)hat then, but maybe a little nibble (and tease it with my tongue).

Quote from: pauljholden on 26 July, 2010, 10:15:41 PM
Quote from: ghostpockets on 26 July, 2010, 09:41:54 PM
iIplayer wouldn't work for me all evening, like it was warning me away. But I got it working now so I shall endure and return later with a Solomon-like pronouncement....

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 26 July, 2010, 06:40:12 PM

Moffat Who? Shit, yep. League of Gents? Good when it started, peaked in series two, then became unwatchable. Jekyll? Spectacularly bad!

Sir, we are on the same page. Let's start a club!

SBT

Heck yeah! We need to think up a good name though, one that will look good on the back of a baseball jacket.

What about "The League of Contrary Gentlemen"

-pj

I love it! I will set about designing the patch a.s.a.p.

Mike Carroll

Yes he can. He does that all the time. That's his Lordship's speciality, that is: he's such a consummate storyteller that he even puts cliff-hangers and foreshadowing into his conversations.

-- Mike

Emperor

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 27 July, 2010, 02:34:52 AM

Yes he can. He does that all the time. That's his Lordship's speciality, that is: he's such a consummate storyteller that he even puts cliff-hangers and foreshadowing into his conversations.

That man is just a big tease!!  ::)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Lobo Baggins

But by god it was magnificent. Watson was spot on- he is suffering from PTSD from his time in India in the original stories, so updating it to Iraq was a great idea. And the Holmes fella was perfect casting- right down to the twitches and everything.

Actually, he's just come back from Afghanistan in both the original stories and the updated one.

I really enjoyed that, although I wasn't convinced that it would work. Nice to see the nods to the originals turned on their heads, too - the 'RACHE' written on the floor from 'The Study in Scarlet' was originally a red herring.  I also liked that Watson had a limp despite being wounded in the shoulder, as the literary Watson's war wound starts out in his hip and moves to his shoulder in the later stories.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 27 July, 2010, 02:34:52 AM

-- Mike

Shut up!
The only reason I don't mention anything more is that I don't know how far along the book is!
It's a collection of steampunk stories, and I decided in my hubris to try a Holmes one. Obviously, I'll mention it when it comes out!

QuoteActually, he's just come back from Afghanistan in both the original stories and the updated one
I stand corrected!

QuoteSo we have this autistic savant with a computerized brain (with built in GPS apparently),

It's Sherlock Holmes, he does this sort of thing.

Quoteand he is almost out-foxed by [spoiler]a variation of the Poison Goblet scene from The Princess Bride? INCONCEIVABLE[/spoiler]!

Or, perhaps, it's a variation on the scene from the Sherlock Holmes story A Study in Scarlet on whcih this episode (A Study in Pink) was based?

And Mike, you really need to do yourself a favour and watch the Brett series.