Main Menu

2000ad suspected IP infringement thread

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 06 August, 2010, 12:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking Justice

Richmond Clements

Spikes

dancornwell

Just wondered, is it an illegal product? If not, why? Didn't want to open this can of worms. But like I said, I saw it and bought it. I don't normally check the property rights of things when I buy them, I'm too spontaneous really.

Spaceghost

Okay. Firstly you're coming across as very paranoid and slightly deluded. Did you just actually accuse me of joining your group 8 months ago so I could spy on you all?

That's just...

The only reason I joined was to support other Dredd fans and see all the brilliant costumes you make. The reason I never gave any 'advice' is because I don't have the first idea about building a judge costume.

I commented today after having recently listened to a pod cast where RoboKeef from Rebellion was bemoaning the fact that having unlicensed merchandise on sale not only hurt the company financially, it just the chances of official stuff being released. When I saw your group's member brazenly hawking that statue, it made me angry.

I admit, I used the term 'true fan' solely to wind people up after suffering a torrent of abuse. Seems it worked. As for people being upset about the term, after what was said to me, I couldn't give a toss if they are annoyed or not.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Viking Justice

Okay, so you have admitted using that as windup, where before you stated otherwise. I can respect that you now admit your intent.

What I am trying to say to you - and which you and Jim seem to be missing - is that I am letting you know the perception of THE GROUP as opposed to me sitting with a tinfoil hat and babbling to myself about conspiracists. I leave that behaviour to other forum members here. (Or at least one of them - he knows who he is). You offended an entire group of people and then continued to do so here. You never said "those who spoke to me and were nasty are a bunch of massive..." You said "what a bunch of massive ..." And I'm not going to start repeating it. As I said, it's a word I avoid which I find deeply offensive and I'm not alone, clearly, by the response and PMs from members about you and your use of it.

The perception that you might have been doing what I suggested has also come across in several piss and messages, and bolstered by your own - perhaps unfortunate - byline that you are "going undercover". I don't believe any of our members would have had reason to notice you before. But now that they have, and when they see your conduct and comments in BritCit, and then the byline, they have perhaps put two and two together and made five. But that's something you have contributed to, albeit perhaps unwittingly, with your actions and use of words.

As I said before, you can't expect people not to get upset when you deliberately and repeatedly use offensive and inflammatory language like that.

And then now, you just say, tough. To the entire group, who you insulted and needled and then initially denied you had done so, saying it was just "wilfully ridiculous". Now it turns out it's not so ridiculous after all.

And you still haven't commented as to why you would pour petrol on flames like that, rather than going to admins. Would you do that here, on this board, with the likes of Richmond and Molcher? Just curious. And bewildered as to why a seemingly reasonable adult who is experienced in forums and boards (you have more than enough posts here to tell me that) would behave like that.

And still no rebuttal as to the rights issue, which might negate your argument and stance entirely...

Viking Justice

Wow. Damn you iPhone and Apple. "Piss and messages"? Should be personal
Messages. That's some autospell going on there...

Jim_Campbell

The rights issue? I have it on very good authority that the influx of 'Heavy Armoured Cop' figures has torpedoed more than one license negotiation for a similar product. This is a pretty niche market and potential licensees are understandably reluctant to subject themselves to the expense of product development, plus licensing fees, when a substantial chunk of their potential market has already been taken by a Chinese knock-off.

This has had a direct effect on revenue for Rebellion and deprived John and Carlos of royalties. I feel confident asserting that if anyone who's okay with that is the sort of fan 2000AD can do without.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Viking Justice

That's fine because I never once said I was that kind of fan. The opposite actually.

So you are saying that Rebellion DO own the movie rights to kit and costume? 

Zenith 666

I don't see how the Dredd movie costume including Badge,Helmet,Eagle and Lawgiver could belong to anyone other than Rebellion as it's no more than a toned down version of Dredds original costume.

Viking Justice

The issue of rights can be more complicated than that, though. It has been said that the movie company own the rights for a prescribed period, unless they sell them on. I am asking whether this is correct, or whether Rebellion own the specific rights to the movie costume and equipment. I thought this would be the best place to ask...

Zenith 666

Sorry I've quoted to "getting a Dredd 2" thread.still getting used too posting.

Spaceghost

Are you being serious? The 'going under cover' signature refers to the fact that I went from using my team name to using Spaceghost again.

Are people honestly that paranoid that they believe anyone would have the time or inclination to make a career out of spying on their little club? I'm speechless to be honest.

As far as me resorting to using naughty words, it was on Facebook, not a forum, it all happened in about ten minutes, loads of people piled on and started calling me names so I suggested that the ringleader was coming across as "something of a cunt" for attacking me in such a personal manner. I was the victim. I was asking questions about the product being advertised and I was shut down as a result.

Of it makes things any better, I apologise to all the upstanding citizens of your group who were offended by my remarks, unless they were one of the two or three people who got at me. I doubt I'll be receiving a similar apology from your site.

Also, what makes you think I'm an authority on the status of Rebellion's IP licencing practice's? I can't answer your question about whether the movie uniform is their domain because I don't know.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Zenith 666

Nope I can't do quote properly.Molchers quote from  January 13th.

QuoteThe complete audio and visual rights reside with Rebellion and are currently optioned to DNA Films. All other trademark and copyright rights for Judge Dredd reside with Rebellion.

(Quote added for emphasis—IP)

Jim_Campbell

Viking Justice: now you're splitting hairs like the apologist you claim not to be. The fact is: movie version or not, licensing deals directly affecting Rebellion's bottom line have been lost because potential licensees are deterred from entering the market because a large chunk of it has already been lost to the 'Heavy Armoured Cop' figure. That's money off the bottom line of 2000AD's publisher, and money out of the pockets of Dredd's creator. Again: anyone who's okay with that has no business calling themselves a fan.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.