Main Menu

Who's bright idea was it too ruin a great Soundtrack?

Started by Dreddzilla, 22 September, 2010, 12:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreddzilla

I'm one of the very few, who enjoyed the Dredd soundtrack so much so I bought the CD thinking I was going to get just the Alan Silvestri work.
However, I was dismayed to hear (literally) that the first five songs (if you can call them that) are CRAP rock songs.

1. Dredd Song - Bamonte, Perry Groan inducing
2. Darkness Falls - Johnson, Matt Absolutely Horrid
3. Super-Charger Heaven - Tempesta, John  CRAP
4. Need-Fire - Cocteau Twins  CRAP
5. Release the Pressure - Barnes, Neil John AND MORE CRAP

It's not till track 6 that you get to the reason you buy the CD in the drokken FIRST PLACE!

6. Judge Dredd Main Theme 
7. Judgement Day 
8. Block War 
9. We Created You 
10. Council Chaos 
11. Angel Family
12. New World 

I mean at least the Batman Soundtracks had the decency to separate the Score from the Pop songs.
I'm hoping maybe they will release the rest of Silvestries score as down loadable mp3's like they did for Goldsmith's Trailer.
I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time I just needed to vent my frustrations over this CD.
Luckely for me it was used so it only cost me $5.00 (I still feel like I paid to much for this)

I, Cosh

Cocteau Twins and Leftfield are good but I'm not a fan of The The. No idea about the rest of it;  can't remember anything about the soundtrack.
We never really die.

COMMANDO FORCES

There are other soundtrack CD's out there, with everything on.
By the way, wasn't it the Cure who did Dredd Song?

SmallBlueThing

The Cure's Dredd Song i love, despite not being a huge admirer of mr smith's musical adventures. Must pick up the soundtrack album at some point, as the 'theme' is the highlight of the movie, i reckon.
SBT

JayzusB.Christ

I seem to remember Robert Smith being a big fan of 2000ad too - I think Tharg even quoted him as saying so some time in the 80s.  And Ian Dury was in the Dredd film, I'm told? I don't remember that.
Hit Me with your Day Stick.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Albion

I haven't watched it in years, but if I remember rightly Ian Dury was the guy with Hammerstein.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dash Decent

Yes, he was the pawnbroker who hands over the package with the Lawgiver to Rico.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JayzusB.Christ

wow! I'm going to watch it again. But I'll just fast-forward to that bit and not worry so much about the rest, thanks.

COMMANDO FORCES

I've just went through all my soundtrack CD's (6) and have come up with every track name.

Dredd Song - The Cure
Darkness Falls - The The
Super-Charger Heaven - White Zombie
Need Fire - Cocteau Twins
Release The Pressure - Leftfield
Time - Ryo Aska
You Come Closer - Worldbeaters with Youssou N'Dour

Judge Dredd (Main Theme)
There Were Judges
Meg City
Dredd Arrives
Block War
...And Over
Aspen Penal Colony
Rico Escapes
The Meaning Of Being A Judge
ABC Warrior
Mean Machine
It's A Lie ...I Am The Law
"I'm Judge Joseph Dredd"
I Just Need To Look You In The Eyes
Guilty The Long Walk
Desert Crash
Angel Family
There Were Judges (Alt)
Block War (Alt)
Angel Family (Alt)
We Created You
Judge Fargo's Death
Troops In The Streets
Tunnel Run
Council Chaos/Air Chase
Revelations
Judge Rico
Brothers
New World
I'm The Law
Fight On Liberty Statue's Head
Epilogue
End Credits/Dredd Suite
We Created You (Alt)
Revelations (Alt)
New World (Alt)
Epilogue (Alt)
Trailer (Jerry Goldsmith)

Hope all that helps, now seek it out  ;)

Woolly

All those Dredd inspired tracks in the film... and someone decided to miss out 'I am the Law' by Anthrax!

Theres no justice in this world  ;)

Greg M.

Quote from: Woolly on 22 September, 2010, 04:44:12 PM
All those Dredd inspired tracks in the film... and someone decided to miss out 'I am the Law' by Anthrax!

Theres no justice in this world  ;)

How true. If I have only one wish for the new film it is that 'I Am The Law' is included at some point. Everything else is negotiable.

Well... negotiable apart from the film being, y'know, good.

JOE SOAP

I see no reason to have any lyric based "songs" in the film other than if they actually have meaning and are involved in the narrative, which most songs in films don't. "American Graffiti" had songs from the era it was set in and were part of the story and they worked in that context but inserting an 80's thrash metal song in a futuristic film is nonsensical and tends to pull you right out of a story.

Blade Runner also had the nostalgic 30's ballad "If I didn't Care" subtlely playing in the background but it fit with the sentimental/nostalgic aspects of the story, but just throwing in rock songs for no real reason during scenes is rather pointless and lazy.

I know if I heard Anthrax's "I am the Law" in a scene from the Dredd film, it would be incongruous. It's an 80's metal song about a comic character who by rights shouldn't really exist. It wouldn't fit in the context of the film and films, especially sci-fi, need to convince you of their authenticity. A mistake many 80's films made.

By all means put Dredd inspired "songs" with lyrics on the soundtrack album as a bonus but don't put them in the film.

Peter Wolf

The Cocteau Twins track to me is one of their worst and i like the majority of their music and the Cure track is just by-the-numbers Cure.

Just another easily forgotten Cure track and as for Leftfield i dont want to hear that again as its too 90s and i heard that album to death back then till i was sick of hearing it as everywhere i went it seemed to be playing and i never thought they were any good anyway.

I am not a fan of rock music being used in films particularly as its trying too hard to appeal to the audience of the film or trying too hard.

There are exceptions but the JD film isnt one of them and it was a very similar set up with The Crow which had a crap version of a Joy Division track by Moby amongst others.Its like "lets pick some suitably dark and moody/brooding goth type music and stick it in various parts of the film to over-emphasise particular scenes."

Moby does Joy Division.

Get out of my ears.

Original soundtracks by the likes of Alan Silvestri or whoever are often very good.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Greg M.

Quote from: Garageman on 22 September, 2010, 08:37:05 PM

By all means put Dredd inspired "songs" with lyrics on the soundtrack album as a bonus but don't put them in the film.

I was thinking more for the end credits actually. I think that would be a nice touch. I get what you're saying about the authenticity factor, and that while it is conceivable that someone in Dredd's era might have written a song about him, it couldn't have existed in the 1980s of his timeline. And yes, you have to be careful about throwing rock songs into films haphazardly (I recall Dario Argento's unfortunate use of Iron Maiden's 'Flash of the Blade' in 'Phenomena' being rather unwelcome.) On the other hand, I can't say that if Dredd were to break into some criminal's den and we heard a few diegetic bars of Anthrax issuing from a perp's stereo that I wouldn't appreciate it as a little easter egg.