Main Menu

Dave Evans, R.I.P.

Started by Mike Carroll, 07 May, 2021, 11:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

Sincere condolences to his family and friends. A really decent and always helpful guy.
His (And Richmonds) comics were great too, I usually buy a bundle of Zarjaz and Dogbreath every year and they always came with a cool sketch by Dave.

sheridan

Shocking news.  2000AD fandom has lost a great presence with this.  As with others, when I ordered a bunch of fanzines (just about everything 2000AD-related that was available to send) I got a hand-drawn pic included in the box.  Shall have to locate that and keep it somewhere safe (safer) now.

Dog Deever

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 07 May, 2021, 12:35:47 PM
I have not been on the board for a long time. But the phone call from his family is the worst thing I have had in a long time.
Dave was and is by a long measure the best friend I have had in my life (to give some context, the best friend from my teenage years  died on Thursday night) I am utterly bereft. I have lost my soul mate. I have always referred to Dave as my comics life partner, without any irony. I loved him and he loved me.

Should have added, my condolences to you too Rich.
I only met Dave the once IRL, but communicated quite a bit for a time over Dogbreath stuff. Terrible thing to lose a good friend and worse when they were as outstanding a person as Dave. As LS says, it is about you too, as well as his family and others who were close- it's crushing and there is no need to feel bad for expressing that.
Personally, I will forever regret letting him down and not having the chance to make up for that because it's the very least he deserved.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

It just feels like a complete gut punch. 
I only met Bolt a couple of times, with over 7 years between them, but he did still remember me after all that time. He must have known everyone in the industry,  probably worked with half of them too. The fact that the FutureQuake table was a meeting spot for everyone shows how important he was. A true pillar of the industry and one of the nicest people in comics.
My deepest sympathy to all his family and friends.

Noisybast

That's me, third from left. Increasingly accurate depiction.

I haven't seen Dave in a few years. Life kinda gets in the way. The first Lawgiver con back in... 2014, I think?
Extremely weird and unsettling to think I won't run into him at some as-yet-unnanounced, post-Covid DreddShedFredcon. Bad times.

There's far too many old boarders and treasured droids calling me back to this bloody forum by not being around any more. Enough now. Please stop it.

Thoughts are very much with Dave's family and friends. Rich: be kind to yourself today, mate.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Trout

Quote from: Noisybast on 07 May, 2021, 03:39:55 PM
That's me, third from left. Increasingly accurate depiction.

I'm second from left. Pass the bellywheel.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Trout on 07 May, 2021, 02:55:59 PM
He was driven to create his own work. I'm sitting here with a pile of comics: Zarjaz, Dogbreath, Whistler and more. As I opened the bag they were in, I also found a sketch of Tharg that he did, unasked, when sending me some comics.

He sent me a random sketch of Colossus from the X-Men when I bought some copies of Something Wicked once, along with a note wishing us luck putting together the first issue of Hallowscream.

RIP, Bolt.

JayzusB.Christ

Oh no.  That's just shocking.  I've never met him in real life but he's always been an absolutely lovely person online and the forum won't be the same without him.
Goodbye Bolt-01.  We'll miss you.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Molch-R

Quote from: Dudley on 07 May, 2021, 03:27:49 PM
Have had this on my study wall for years: Bolt's rendition of a few boarders as fatties for a poster we did for Dreddcon back in the day.

Third from right. Devastated, cannot believe it. Poor Mini-Bolt, Izzy and Julie.

Richmond Clements

I think there's a Dave memorial drink coming.

Dudley

If it's online, count me in... otherwise, I'll raise a glass with you in spirit.

Leigh S

Before I say anything, just to echo the sentiment that Richmond, this is about you & we are all thinking about you - if there is any way we can help, just reach out to us. 

As for the terrible news, I still can't process it- it's a feeble trope that the good die young, but I can't think of a better example  - as others have said, he was the best of us a true diamond. 

My Comics fandom flame was kept ignited by Paul Von Scott and Bolt when I met them back at those early Dreddcons - Dave's enthusiasm was infectious and his love for the comics I loved just magnified that love immeasurably. 

I'm a pretty socially awkward/anti-social type and knowing that Bolt was at a Con made them unmissable, because I always knew I'd walk out of there feeling  excited about comics and generally feeding off his energy.  Meeting his wonderful kids was always a pleasure too - I'd occasionally walk past the shop in Brum where Dan works and either give him a wave if I saw him in the window or even if I didnt see him there, it would just give me a tiny buzz that I knew that kid and his dad and how golden they were.  I have the cuddly Gronk that Izzy made sitting in my geek room pride of place. Dave was not just a great comics fan and creator, not just a great person, but an amazing father.  My thoughts go out to his family, because losing anyone is a terrible thing, but losing someone as wonderful as Dave so young, I can't imagine.

Dave had messaged me a week back to chase up a story I'd struggled to get started on the art for (Lockdown creating extra work for me and a bout of what I think might have been a fairly mild but fatiguing Long Covid left me struggling to get my mnd back into drawing mode).  As soon as he asked if I was up to try again, I just knew I had to, for him and for myself, because you didn't want to let Dave down, but you knew that the right thing to do was always "Be more Bolt"  - as I said, the enthusiasm was infectious. I'd got myself a plan to timetable it out and was waiting for his "green for go" email....

Because I'm a pretty socially awkward/anti-social type I always felt guilty about not hanging around for after-con drinks and that guilt was almost entirely due to that meaning I didn't really get to know Dave, who I always idly wished I'd made more time to get to know, living in the same town  Knowing that isn't gong to happen, that I'm not going to see his friendly face at the next con....  Richmond, I can only guess from how I feel about him knowing him only casually, how you feel knowing him so well - please take care and as I say, we are here for you.

Dan Kelly

Quote from: Dudley on 07 May, 2021, 04:30:59 PM
If it's online, count me in... otherwise, I'll raise a glass with you in spirit.

I'll certainly be raising a jar in his name tonight, and would certainly joint a virtual Shedcon if one is to be forthcoming.

Trout

Quote from: Dan Kelly on 07 May, 2021, 04:33:09 PM
Quote from: Dudley on 07 May, 2021, 04:30:59 PM

I'll certainly be raising a jar in his name tonight, and would certainly joint a virtual Shedcon if one is to be forthcoming.

Count me in. (Time difference allowing. This part of Canada is five hours behind the UK.)

locustsofdeath!

Man, this hits me hard.

Dave was a big part of my life in that he encouraged me to write and submit scripts to him. He published my first few scripts - only after rejecting several and giving loads of tips and advice from everything to formatting to short script story structure. He agreed happily to letter one of my projects, and was like a father to all of us involved - always offering advice and encouragement.

But most of all, he was a great friend.

Although we only met three times, we emailed a lot. Dave helped me work through a serious bout of depression. I'm sure he didn't want to be my counselor, but he emailed me so much encouragement to get through things. I mostly fell out of touch with him when I moved from England to the US, and I really regret that. I love and miss ya, Bolt.

To all of my old friends here - I miss all of you as well. Take care, all.