Main Menu

Sideshow Vote: I have a type a certain type in my mind

Started by broodblik, 20 April, 2022, 04:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

What is your favorite genre in the prog?
-   Horror/Supernatural
-   Comedy/Satire
-   Sci-Fi
-   Fantasy
-   Thriller
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Its an interesting question as I think the great strenght of 2000ad is its very variety. The fact that you get surprised and enjoy things that you otherwise might not be drawn to. On that basis I'm going to go straight down the line and keep this simple, otherwise it unravels, so I'll go.

Sci-fi.

AlexF

Comedy/satire for me, leaning more on the satire end. This is where I'm situating Judge Dredd, for example...

Magnetica

Dumb question....which of these categories does Strontium Dog fall under?

Dash Decent

Quote from: Magnetica on 20 April, 2022, 02:58:39 PM
Dumb question....which of these categories does Strontium Dog fall under?

Action adventure?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 April, 2022, 06:45:07 AM
Its an interesting question as I think the great strenght of 2000ad is its very variety.

I think this is very much the strength and secret of longevity with Judge Dredd.  It's SF, but it's also action adventure, police procedural, dumb humour, dark satire, etc.

Ditto something like Strontium Dog where you get stuff like the death of Wulf and ten year old Moses, the war against the Kreelers, those scary Stix brothers etc, but also the Sternhammer Silencer, "Next prog: Dog-gone!", and the Chums of Dennis.

It's all so different that I'm going to go with Colin and vote SF as that's the framework that everything hangs off.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

It used to think I didn't like Sword and Sorcery and then along came two thrills billed as such- Nemesis and Slaine.

To this day they occupy place three and four on my all time list.

But if Dredd and Stront are Action Adventure I'm going with that. If they are Sci-if I'm going with that, especially as I can count Brink.

But yeah overall I'm in the 2000AD can do all sorts of genres well camp.

How about "historic period piece set in the far future"? Or "not super heroes"?

broodblik

I will classify Brink as a Thriller but then that is just me

Funt Solo

Quote from: broodblik on 20 April, 2022, 04:45:01 AM
What is your favorite genre in the prog?
-   Horror/Supernatural
-   Comedy/Satire
-   Sci-Fi
-   Fantasy
-   Thriller

Being forced to choose one, it's sci-fi - because it's sitting right at the core of what defines 2000 AD.

As others have pointed out, though - the strength of the prog is in its variety. If Dredd's top dog (or is it Alpha?), it's clear that those strips straddle the genres and can be, on any given day, any of them.

It's difficult to try to choose one of those to lose, and still have what we know of as the prog. If you ditch fantasy, you lose Slaine. If you ditch horror, you lose Cradlegrave and Thistlebone. Comedy - you lose Ace Trucking or Survival Geeks. The Thriller genre is trickier to hold up - Judge Dredd sometimes goes there with some of Wagner's suspenders*. Put pure thrillers are either difficult to pick out of the mix or I wouldn't mind if they weren't there - like that one with the woman with the scarred face who's an international agent. Most of the thrillers also encompass one of the other genre-types.

*Oo-er, missus!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

broodblik