Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Firekind vs. Meltdown Man Rd 5 Heat 2

Started by Colin YNWA, 01 August, 2022, 06:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So managed to squeeze in prep and we are straight into Round 5. 32 thrills remain, so at this point there is little use going on about how tough this will now be, how we are going to lose great thrills and how mind melting some of the decisions will become. It's now pretty obvious. That said there is one tie this week which I had as an outside chance of the final... not to be anymore AND I might go into meltdown if we see the end of the done in one story... it's going to be interesting to say the least

I got the shock of my life when I realised that Firekind was the last remaining done and gone thrill. The rest have brilliance (well in varying degrees!) across multiple 'books' 'chapters', 'Phases' whatever term has been used... well except I guess you could say that Meltdown Man is as well having had an uninterrupted run. It was just SO long I don't think of it that way! Can the brilliance of the done in one standard bearer really fall to the zany Meltdown Man... who never really melted... I suspect it might?

Form book (note none of the remaining thrill appeared in Round 1 - all getting byes; so the form book starts at Round 2)

Firekind: American Reaper; Mean Team; Harlem Heroes
Meltdown Man: Stalag 666; Dash Decent; Tribal Memories

Firekind - more info

VS

Meltdown Man - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 4th August and the winner gets a place in Round 6 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

Funt Solo

I am very fond of Meltdown Man, and Belardinelli was such a treat!

Firekind, though.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

abelardsnazz

Magnetica

Aaron A Aardvark

My most difficult pick so far. MM blew me away at the time but I've never liked the last panel, basically all his friends and the cat lady he was ****ing have all died and he seems pretty smug about it. Firekind burned short but very bright.

Firekind.

davidbishop

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

Nice art in Meltdown Man and a breezy script can't disguise its seat-of-the-pants nature and a terrible ending. Firekind, while not up there with the best 2000 AD strips ever, was an oasis of quality during the Prog's nadir and still holds up well today. It's an easy win for me.

AlexF

I'm comfortable describing Meltdown Man as a one-and-done story. If it was done today it'd be spread across 6 books or so, I guess, and maybe some of those books would be about the adventures of Billy the Tracker or told from the perspective of Tiger Commander. Despite it's free-flowing feel it does a magnificent job of telling a single story from beginning to end...

and I think that's why it's getting my vote. It's relevant, too, that this is the last gasp of Belardinelli, one of my all-time faves. I've nothing bad to say about Firekind, certainly not the art, but it never quite lit my imagination on fire the way the joyful romp of nick Stoen and his Yujee buddies did.

Meltdown Man, I salute you.